New and going to the vet on Wed

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: New and going to the vet on Wed

Post by Jean » 11 Jan 2021, 12:47

again, they are all different

my Kara never lost energy

Kara started on a b12 injection every other day, from the vets, she was 14 months old, and weighed 39 pounds, and she was a female GSD so you can imagine, she was a bag of bones, we were able in time to reduce that, for life, to 1 injection per month, we supplemented b12 capsules 1 per day as well

she never had urine issues

we had to feed 5 times a day with enzymes as she was starving, the enzymes started to work within a few days, and we added Tylan into her life at the same
time, the poops became normalish over maybe 2-3 weeks, but we changed her enzyme which was cheaper and she turned a massive corner, and stabilised at 90 pounds untill we lost her May 2019 to DM

She took a while to gain weight and sometimes they do, their organs have had very restrictive nutrition, as has their brain, and the nutrients go there first

the whole regime of enzymes, b12, food, and Tylan if necessary work together, , we could tell when Karas b12 was low she became hysterical

I think its difficlt to say time , but it will come
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 11 Jan 2021, 15:26

To answer your question about frequent urination, Kolby had several instances of peeing in the house, which he never normally did. We reverted back to his puppy training days and took him out very often so he would always have an empty bladder. I would say this lasted a few weeks for him....maybe a month......but every dog is different.

When we switched Kolby to Pet Factor B12 pills from Wonderlabs it took several weeks until we noticed that he was eating better and and starting very slowly to put on weight. He remained a slow gainer, but it was steady. We were thrilled!

Barb

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Jan 2021, 11:40

listening to the many stories on the forum.... my guess is that the "excessive" urination from introducing enzymes seem to last anywhere from a few weeks to approximately a month (on the average).... there are definitely cases that fall outside this range.... but if there had to be a range... i'd say this is the average range.

Regarding how quickly the B12 appears to work..... again, every dog is different... but the average is usually by 3 weeks, and often sooner. Again... there are those that fall outside this range.... but 3 weeks is a good general average.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Post by Jane&Clyde » 24 Jan 2021, 14:30

Finally! Clyde's excessive drinking and peeing seem to be reducing. Also, he might be gaining a little weight, but I'm not sure yet. It's so hard to wait for treatments to show an effect on my fur baby. I'm impatient and want things fixed as soon as possible. LOL

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 24 Jan 2021, 20:41

Jane, your story is so heartwarming. I don't have any advice, but I just wanted you to know that I am following you, and I can't wait to hear that you can no longer see Clyde's ribs. It will happen!---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 24 Jan 2021, 21:04

Glad you got the test results and are following the EPI protocol since his TLI is so low. My boy had increased urination for about a month. As for the B12 - I can't really say how long it took because I waited two months to have it retested but he gained all of his weight back in 6 weeks and I know B12 was a key factor in that. Keep us posted.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 25 Jan 2021, 12:05

WAHOO!!! So glad to hear that Clyde's excessing peeing is diminishing! And that he is started to look a little plumper :) I know it is hard to wait.... but it sure sounds like things are finally starting to improve. Good job!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Post by Jane&Clyde » 09 Mar 2021, 14:59

It appears that I may finally be on the right track with Clyde. You can still see his ribs and spine, but they are nowhere near as prominent as they were and he appears to be gaining muscle mass. He was in pretty bad shape when I got him, so I guess it's not surprising that it is taking him a while to recover. After beginning to supplement his B12, it seems to be a slow but steady improvement.

Now for the bad news...I am 99% certain that Clyde had a seizure last night. I've seen a lot of seizures in people (long story), so one seizure doesn't get me too upset, although I am certainly concerned. Of course, I notified the vet's office today, but the vet isn't there today, so they will give him the message tomorrow. They probably won't do anything for a single seizure, but I sure hope Clyde doesn't have any more. The poor little guy doesn't need seizures to deal with on top of the EPI.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Mar 2021, 15:15

So glad to hear that sub-clincial-EPI-wise.... CLyde is doing much better and improving... even if slowly. Afterall it took his body a LONGGGGGGGggg time to slowly lose a lot of his pancreas function even if not fully EPI, and it does take the body time to recuperate.

Now about that seizure.... i am so so SO sorry to hear this. It just breaks your heart when these innocent souls struggle and overcome one health condition and then another one strikes.....

Seizures are not related to EPI... however, we do have a little section on idiopathic seizures https://epi4dogs.com/seizures/ ..... that might be helpful.. In short, feeding a diet with MCT seems to help with some seizure stricken dogs. (my translation of this is coconut oil!)
https://epi4dogs.com/wp-content/uploads ... izures.pdf

P.S. for some reason, when i tried uploading the 2 most recent research articles on seizures.... they don't display fully.... you have to hit the "download" button at the bottom of each of the articles on the EPi4Dogs Seizure page... and then the full document will pop up.

Hopefully maybe this will be of some help.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Mar 2021, 15:22

while i am thinking of it...... what other symptoms does Clyde have? Reason why i am asking.... is because over the years we have had 2 cases, where it displayed like EPI, but it wasn't quite EPI, and then the dog had seizures. Vets couldn't figure out what was going on in both cases.... and then it was finally discovered that the dog had canine liver shunt disease. i am not saying that this is what is going on but rather just tossing this out there, just in case this is something your vet thinks should be considered................