Phantom finally on Tylan!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
TaylorN
State: Texas
Pet name: Phantom
My name: Taylor

Re: Phantom finally on Tylan!

Post by TaylorN » 27 Jan 2021, 12:16

So we have officially made the 7-day transition to Sport Dog food herding and what a difference it has made in Phantom's poop! I have not seen anything less than a score of 3-4 since starting and I would say we're consistently at 3s as of today! He has been on 100% of the Sport dog herding for a day now. This morning's poop was much lower volume than usual and looked well formed. I will put a collage down below.

On the left is Purina pro plan poop, on the right is Sport dog. As you can see, it is much lower volume. Thinking this is a good sign. :D

With PPP, his poop was always inconsistent, even on Tylan. Some days were good, but some definitely regressed.
Attachments
IMG_6947.JPG
IMG_6947.JPG (205.7 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
Phantom, black German Shepherd mix. Adopted 11/24/20 at 42lbs. EPI test results: [TLI: 2.1, B12: 208]
Started on enzymes 11/28, 1 tsp per cup. 1 Wonderlabs B12 capsules 2x/day. Tylan 1/4 tsp 2x day.

Weight progress:
  • 11/27: 42lbs, 12/3: 45lbs
    12/11: 48lbs, 12/17: 51lbs
    12/26: 55lbs, 1/6: 58lbs
    1/13: 61lbs

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 27 Jan 2021, 13:36

Wow! Finding the right food is definitely worth it! Congratulations.

Barb

Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Post by Jane&Clyde » 27 Jan 2021, 15:11

I'm so glad that the new food helped Phantom1 A change in food helped my Clyde a lot, too.

It looks like the poo on the right has an oily coating. If it stays that way, you might want to consider giving Phantom just a smidge more enzymes. I don't know if that is the recommended practice, but I started giving Clyde 1/8 tsp more enzymes at each meal and it got rid of the oily coating and firmed up the poop.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 31 Jan 2021, 12:01

WOW! That's a good looking poop :) I LOVE the Sport Dog Food! I first found it on a German Shepherd group and someone had said the poops they were seeing (non-EPI dog) were as close to the poop of a raw fed dog as they could get without feeding raw - when I saw the fiber was good and there were no peas and chicken (my boy has lots of food sensitivities) I decided to give it a try - I actually am able to feed him less on that food than when he was on other foods because it's so calorie dense.

Doing the happy poop dance for you in Tennessee :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

TaylorN
State: Texas
Pet name: Phantom
My name: Taylor

Post by TaylorN » 02 Mar 2021, 14:10

Thought I would come back and give an update for the people...ha.

Phantom has been on Tylan for 2 months now and is in the process of weaning off. We are currently on our once a day, every other day period and his poops are holding up! I am not sure when to expect a regression, if at all, but it is going well so far! His poop is the best and most consistent it has EVER been. I think the combination of sport dog herding elite and Tylan did him a lot of good.

The only con to this has been the fact that as a 60lb dog, sport dog recommends I give him roughly 2 cups a day. After getting 6 cups a day in order to gain weight, I get weird looks when I give him 1 cup 2x per day. Is there anything I can give him as filler food? I just don't want his stomach empty!

I have also been introducing slippery elm into his meals and haven't seen any poop regression with this addition in combination with subtracting out Tylan. Fingers crossed he will not need to be on a Tylan maintenance dose!

Photo of today's poop for reference:

OH, and the itching/chewing went away a few weeks after starting sport dog herding, but it came back as I put him on salmon oil for his skin. I am starting to think he may have an allergy/intolerance of fish as his PPP Salmon & Rice had him biting like crazy. Is fish a common allergy for dogs?

I have removed the salmon oil to see what happens. Any ideas on how long it takes a food allergy/intolerance to get out of a dog's system? I am guessing weeks.
Phantom, black German Shepherd mix. Adopted 11/24/20 at 42lbs. EPI test results: [TLI: 2.1, B12: 208]
Started on enzymes 11/28, 1 tsp per cup. 1 Wonderlabs B12 capsules 2x/day. Tylan 1/4 tsp 2x day.

Weight progress:
  • 11/27: 42lbs, 12/3: 45lbs
    12/11: 48lbs, 12/17: 51lbs
    12/26: 55lbs, 1/6: 58lbs
    1/13: 61lbs

Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Post by Jane&Clyde » 02 Mar 2021, 16:10

I don't know if fish is a common allergy for dogs or not, but my dog who doesn't have EPI is allergic to fish. It only took a few days for him to stop showing allergy symptoms after I stopped feeding him fish, so hopefully it will be the same for Phantom.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 03 Mar 2021, 05:47

Good morning from the UK

Firstly fish

My Kara was blood tested for intolerances in foods, and it came back, white fish, beef, pork and chicken, the top two were chicken and fish, it would seem that Phantom has an intollerance to whatever fish is in the food, we always knew Kara wasnt good with white fish as it went straight through her.

As far as bulking out food, we always gave Kara scrambled eggs, and mashed potato, no butter, no milk, it was her all time favourite, the itching could also have been rice, Kara couldnt tolerate it at all, the vets told me it can cause a "heat" spot somewhere, which would make sense

The egg meal was firstly her last meal of the day , she had two main meals, and would then haunt you for her egg meal, so we batch cooked it and she had it when we felt necessary, I remember asking Uncle Ian the vet (no relation) how many eggs, he said 12 ! so would buy 48 at a time from our local Chinese supermarket, she would likely have 6 a day all mixed up, but before you go down that line, make sure he can tolerate eggs, all of my friends with EPI dogs tried it and hated me ever after, as they too were haunted

they are an enigma, every one different

we were never able to stop Tylan, she was on a minute amount once a day for about 3 years, but every time we stopped, it all went down hill, but I wish you all the best with weaning him off

Hows your college work coming on ?

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 03 Mar 2021, 14:58

Hi Taylor. I switched to TOTW Pacific Stream a few months back to save some money, but I remember feeling the same way about the Sport Dog Elite portion. I believe Tucker was supposed to get 3 cups/day & I gave him 4. He didn't get fat, and he seemed happier. And, he certainly did thrive on that food. I think I started ordering directly from the company at the lowest price, but I had to order two bags in order to get free shipping. ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 03 Mar 2021, 15:30

you can give him an extra 1/2 cup extra food a day to help him get used to less feedings.... and/or.... you can try giving him a handful of fresh string beans in a bowl, or a few pieces of an apple cut up, as an in-between meal (if he starts gaining too much weight.....) but just watch to see if that appears to be okay or if it makes his stools go south.... (you can mix a little enzyme in a dollop of yogurt and include in the bowl to cover any enzyme need with the fresh veggie or fruit)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 07 Mar 2021, 11:17

Hi! Glad to hear Phantom is doing so well - GOOD JOB MOM!! As for the food - Doc is on the Sport Dog Food Elite Herding as well - he's 105lbs and gets 4cups a day (2in the am and 2in the pm) in the winter - during the summer when he's more active he'll drop to 95lbs and I increase the food to 5cups a day (2 1/2am and 2 1/2pm) to keep him at 95lbs. The amounts on the bag are just a guide - WATCH THE WEIGHT - if he needs more food than what the bag says that's okay - if he needs less than what the bag says that's okay too. Not every dog is the same so those are just a guideline for pet owners to use.

With him doing so well I personally wouldn't try adding anything different just add more or less of the Sport Dog food if need be.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.