Phantom finally on Tylan!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: Phantom finally on Tylan!

Post by Madelon » 12 Jan 2021, 19:41

WOW WOW WOW and WOW!!! Those snow pictures are GORGEOUS (I am partial to black shepherds though LOL). You're doing an amazing job managing his EPI. With regard to the poop - first Tylan is a gentle antibiotic so it can take a while for it to get the SID under control which is why we say 45 days and slowly wean off; however, if you don't continue to see some improvement then it is likely the food still isn't agreeing with him and you might need to try another food. You might want to take a look at Sport Dog Food Elite - some of us have had really good luck with it. Keep us updated :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Jan 2021, 20:07

OMG those are FABULOUS pictures of Phantom..... 2022 calendar worthy (hint-hint) my favorite is the second one... WOW!!!!!!!

And Phantom is looking amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay.... TYlan has REALLY improved those poos!... the slightly soft one after 6 days on TYlan.... try increasing the Tylan dose just a pinch (like 1/16 or 1/8 tsp more)..... OR.......... give the recommended dose but divide it up into 3 daily doses (with food) instead of 2 daily doses. Sometimes that helps...

Let us know how it goes.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

TaylorN
State: Texas
Pet name: Phantom
My name: Taylor

Post by TaylorN » 12 Jan 2021, 23:17

Madelon,

As a college student, the Sport Dog Elite Food has made me shudder price-wise. However, with all of this trial and error, I think I am ready to take the leap of faith. I will work through another week of Tylan and see what happens. If we’re still inconsistent and struggling, I will plan on ordering some to see how it goes. Just sucks that I’m at the start of a 35lb bag of PPP. :?
Phantom, black German Shepherd mix. Adopted 11/24/20 at 42lbs. EPI test results: [TLI: 2.1, B12: 208]
Started on enzymes 11/28, 1 tsp per cup. 1 Wonderlabs B12 capsules 2x/day. Tylan 1/4 tsp 2x day.

Weight progress:
  • 11/27: 42lbs, 12/3: 45lbs
    12/11: 48lbs, 12/17: 51lbs
    12/26: 55lbs, 1/6: 58lbs
    1/13: 61lbs

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 13 Jan 2021, 06:38

food is the most difficult to deal with , we gave a few bags to rescues at the start

get small bags of food for Phantom and see how it goes

I love that he is loving life, and they adore snow

the PPP food sorry what is that
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

TaylorN

Post by TaylorN » 13 Jan 2021, 09:59

Jean,

PPP stands for Purina Pro Plan. :)
Phantom, black German Shepherd mix. Adopted 11/24/20 at 42lbs. EPI test results: [TLI: 2.1, B12: 208]
Started on enzymes 11/28, 1 tsp per cup. 1 Wonderlabs B12 capsules 2x/day. Tylan 1/4 tsp 2x day.

Weight progress:

TaylorN

Post by TaylorN » 13 Jan 2021, 11:32

We had some regression in poop this morning. I feel I have tried everything but making the change to Sport Dog, and while I tried my best to avoid the price (HA), I feel it would be worth having my boy feeling good. It does help that it doesn't seem to be a DCM worrisome food. I have contacted Sport Dog and have sample sizes on the way as well as the 5lb trial bag of Herding Dog Elite.

Any ideas how long I can expect a 5lb bag to last? I feed 6 cups per day and will be transitioning the Sport Dog food, of course. I'm worried it won't last long but didn't want to order the 30lb bag just yet.

Phantom has started chewing his paws and sides. I am hoping that if this food improves his poos and gas, he may stop chewing as well!

Excited to experiment some more! :D

Weight progress:

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 13 Jan 2021, 14:08

Hi Taylor. Tucker was eating that for awhile, and he did well. You will probably find the recommended amount to feed is a little lower than some other foods, so consider that when you think of the price. You will also find that if you buy two bags you get free shipping, from the Sport Dog website, and it may end up being cheaper there than at Chewy, even. I hope it works!---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

TaylorN

Post by TaylorN » 19 Jan 2021, 23:24

We have hit a brick wall on the poop improvement, and Phantom is leading me to believe he has food allergies associated with the Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. I have a 5lb trial size of Sport Dog herding arriving tomorrow. I caved and went ahead and ordered a 30lb bag from Chewy as well. I have high hopes for this food. Forget the poop - I want Phantom to stop itching!

Weight progress:

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 20 Jan 2021, 06:05

I really feel for you

Kara shed her bowel at one point, and we had her blood tested to see what she was intollerant of

beef, chicken, white fish and pork

thank God she could have enzymes, I took this up with my ver who has treated EPI since mid 80's and I couldnt understand why she COULD have home cooked meats , the answer was that the maufacturers use the very last of the meats for dog food, or as he put it dregs.

Madelon is a real advocate of the test that she has used

https://hemopet.org/dog-and-cat-nutriscan/

but costs are maybe not user friendly

we went for lamb, and Kara was stable for 8 years ish, she couldnt have chicken or poultry fat, and it appeared that so many EPI dogs couldnt either , as previously said,our vet said no meats of any sort for 10 days to clear the bowel, so scrambled eggs and mashed potato, 4 times a day was the regime

she COULD have chicken and beef home cooked , especially stolen for preference ! I cought her with a piece of steak, and a whole beef joint at full speed , ok annoyed but thats life with a big dog, and a cat that helped !

I would say the itching is something to do with food intolerance

keep the faith

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 20 Jan 2021, 06:08

also have a look at this

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

jx

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx