New EPI diagnosis

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
CaliGirl
State: California
Pet name: Cali
My name: Nicole

Re: New EPI diagnosis

Post by CaliGirl » 23 Apr 2021, 00:31

Hi everyone! I have been MIA for a little while. Things have been crazy. Cali has been doing great, trying to manage this new diabetes diagnoses has been difficult and I have had a ton of trouble with my vet, however for the most part Cali was doing awesome. Most recently I ran out of the enzymes I was giving her, (pancreplus) which I had originally gotten from the hospital after diagnoses. It seemed like we were finally getting somewhere. Sticking to her slippery elm bark before breakfast and dinner, getting 3/4 cup food in am and the same in pm with 3/4 tsp enzymes.the only thing new was insulin. We had hard solid dark poops and she was going 3x a day for several weeks. When I was getting close to running out I ordered pancreatin 6x from enzymes Diane. I stuck to the same feeding schedule and same amounts only thing changing was enzymes brand. We now have soft poops again and now more of them. Is this something that would be considered normal, do I have to get her use to these enzymes? They are a completely different consistency than the original ones. Enzymes Diane is more powder like. I don’t know if I should continue or contact the hospital and get more of what I know was working? Again we are still in management with the insulin and figuring that out and I am thinking I need to start fresh with a new vet, I have had so many issues with them. However I thought I was finally getting somewhere and then this one change screwed it all up again and I feel like I am at square one. Any ideas?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 23 Apr 2021, 10:04

One place you say you ran out of PancreaPlus, and under that you say before you ran out you ordered from Diane.

Was your pup without enzyme before you got Enzymes from Diane?

I am wondering if SID/SIBO started in there somewhere.

Are you supplementing B12?

Thanks

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl » 23 Apr 2021, 16:28

Cali was taking pacreplus digestive enzymes then went right to enzyme Diane 6X she was never without enzymes just changed brands. That’s when she went back to soft poops and more of them. She was doing great on the first ones, but they are more expensive. The new enzymes(enzymes Diane 6X) are more powdery than the first. The first were more grainy like. Her b12 are great and she has never needed supplements. At least not yet. Prior to this change we were going strong for almost a month with solid dark poops 3x a day.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 23 Apr 2021, 20:34

I see. I am wondering if SID is playing around. Any tummy rumblings, belching or gas?
Too much enzyme can have the same effect as too little. I would get out the PancreaPlus bottle and compare strengths with Dianes enzymes on the package. Could be one is a little stronger/or less.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl » 27 Apr 2021, 11:56

I don’t know if Cali has SID. She has never been treated for it, and prior to this change in enzymes she was doing amazing. Since changing brands we have gone back to soft poops, lots of them and she is eating them again. These enzymes don’t work the same for her I guess. I have ordered the old ones and am waiting for them. Hopefully that will get us back to where we were. I did order a large amount of the enzymes Diane, and I did at one point remember seeing something about donation of enzymes. Let me know if there is something I can do with the ones I have as I won’t be using them anymore once I get the ones she was previously on.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 27 Apr 2021, 14:00

Every once in a blue moon, there might be a batch of enzymes that are just not right. This happened to me once.

Diane asked for the lot numbers, and overnighted a new bag, plus sent me a package to return the others.

My first move would be to contact Diane. Are you using 1 teaspoon per 1 cup of food, adding room temperature liquid & marinating it for 20-30 minutes?
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl » 27 Apr 2021, 14:28

Yes am using those measurements. The problem is I threw out the original bag they were in to transfer into airtight container, wasn’t even thinking there would be an issue. Clearly moving forward I know. I will try and call them and see if there is anything that can be done. They are definitely not working for Cali. :(

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 27 Apr 2021, 18:21

I would still contact Diane, really. She stands by her product.--P
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl » 27 Apr 2021, 18:30

Thank you Pam, I will!

CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl » 08 May 2021, 01:18

Hi all. I am trying to send a private message to olessia, but clearly I am not doing something right. Can someone offer help, or olessia if you see this send me a private message I can reply to?
Thank you!