New EPI diagnosis

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: New EPI diagnosis

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 05 Mar 2021, 14:39

I wonder if you could take a bit of cream cheese, roll it in enzymes & give as a treat? I have a good friend who is a trainer. I believe she does some online classes, and she is very good. I don't know if her classes are expensive, or not., but I would have great dogs, if only I had listened better. Sounds like Cali is a little firecracker, who may be a bit cantankerous from feeling lousy at the start of life, and now that she is better, thinks life is a party!---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 05 Mar 2021, 18:34

Most likely yes, you will be able to give special treats not near an enzymed meal.... we actually encourage people to try this but not until your dog is stable and has been for a good month.

The technique (when you are ready) is to ALWAYS start trying a little tiny treat near within an hour one way or another of an enzymed meal.... but once dog is stable. start with a very tiny piece and i mean tiny- -like no bigger then your pinky nail..(start with pure protein treats like dehydrated meats ... and if this goes well.... then you can try cheese products). If this goes well.... try a couple of hours AFTER an enzymed meal. If this goes well.... increase the amount of the treat... try 2 or 3.... etc, etc.

After my EPI girl was stable... i was actually able to give her 1/2 slice of American cheese many hours after a meal....but as you are learning, every EPI dog is , ahem,,, quite "unique" and this is why we have to just "try things.

Pam's idea of a tiny piece of cream cheese rolled in a little bit of enzyme powder is a good one too, as long as after rolling the cheese in the powder, enclose that prt with the cream cheese as you don't want some of the powdered enzymes getting in the mouth without food.

Also... with training..... 2 to 5 minutes of training actually works MUCH better than 15 to 30 minutes.... just work in little bursts... and make time afterwards just pure fun and laughter :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 07 Mar 2021, 10:49

If she is stable (good poops and weight gain for a few months) then you could try making enzymed treats - here's a link to some recipes https://epi4dogs.com/treats/

I always recommend ice cubes for teething puppies - helps numb their gums just like frozen teething rings for babies - if you start young enough they think it's a treat. I did this with my EPI boy when he was a pup and thank goodness because that's all he gets as a treat. Not ideal I know but you could have a bowl of them so they don't melt too fast and use those as well.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Mar 2021, 12:36

that actually is a great treat idea! Thanks Madelon for posting :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

CaliGirl
State: California
Pet name: Cali
My name: Nicole

Post by CaliGirl » 07 Mar 2021, 13:05

Thank you so much! We are back to ice cream poops, but formed. I don’t know, I’m starting to think this is what her “normal” poops are? We have been on the enzymes for 55 days, I feel like if something was going to change it would have been now. I don’t know if this is because of the no tylan, or again if this is her normal? I will definitely try the ice cubes. Thank you for the idea! I have to try anything to get this biting under control. She just thinks everything is a game and she bites everything, but hard! She needs to learn this is not ok. My arms are a mess, and she has even gotten my face on occasion. 😬 I have to figure it out.

CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl » 07 Mar 2021, 13:50

Also, (sorry for all the questions) olessia I know you have said sometimes too much enzymes can be giving loose stools, could this be the problem? She is getting 1/2 tsp of enzymes to 1/2 cup of food at each feeding, 3x a day. Should I try dropping it?

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Mar 2021, 14:36

Hi Nicole,

In your case, i suspect that what you are seeing is probably not that you are giving too much enzymes. The reason why i am saying this is because every time we've had the uncommon situation of too much enzymes it has been when the dog was getting way more than what is "typically" recommended- -Cali is getting the "typically" recommended dose of a ratio of 1:1 enzyme to food. HOWEVER... that being said, i have also learned never to say never! SO..... you are more than welcome to "try" lessening the amount of enzymes just to see.

Usually though, when the poos go sloppy after being good.... and i noticed Cali's poos were good at least March 1 until... yesterday(?)... this could be from:

1. when a newly diagnosed EPI dog is started on the enzymes and responds beautifully and everyone is happy... but then fast forward a few+ weeks/month+... all of a sudden the poos god south again... this could be SID rearing it's ugly head- -this happens a lot. I can't recall if Cali is on any pre+probiotics.... so in your case, what i would first try (if you haven't already)
(1a) i would first try SLippery Elm https://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=K97024 (use the "Epi4Dogs15" 20% discount coupon)
(1b) If the above helps but not enough, then i would next try/add a prebiotic (for example: Proviable, Visbiome, VetriScience, and some folks use Forti Flora)
(1c) if a probiotic doesn't help ... then i would start a course of Tylan.

2. Some of the other possibilities that could be triggering soft serve poos are:
(2a) a food intolerance
(2b) low B12
(2c) too much food being fed at once- - feed smaller portions but in multiple meals (3 or 4 a day until the dog has gained back most or all of it's weight)

When trying to correct repeated sloppy stools, remember to just try one-fix-at-a-time for a few (3 to 5 days) days before trying another possible fix.. Take Keep a record of the change you made and the results- -even take pictures of the poo progress (or lack there of!) This will really help you figure out what is going on.

Hope this helps a little!!!!!!

Oh.... and Madelon mentioned somewhere recently about cutting up some tiny pieces of a carrot to feed with ONE meal that you have instigated a new change (fix)... this is a great way to tell which poo coordinates with this particular change... as she mentioned poo from a meal can take anywhere from 12 to 72 hours.... it is not always from the last meal fed.......................

Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Post by Jane&Clyde » 09 Mar 2021, 15:07

Are you still giving Cali wet food in addition to the 1/2 cup kibble? If so, you might want to try increasing the enzymes by 1/8 teaspoon or whatever amount is appropriate for the amount of wet food. The wet food needs enzymes for it, too.

CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl » 09 Mar 2021, 16:46

Cali is only getting a spoonful of wet food with the dry kibble so that I can mix in the enzymes.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 09 Mar 2021, 20:07

I know how frustrating it can be to have set backs - we've had our fair share over the years. I would definitely try the suggestions Olesia outlined and let us know how things are going as you try them.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.