New EPI diagnosis

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: New EPI diagnosis

Post by Olesia711 » 25 Jan 2021, 12:23

PLEASE keep us posted on what the poos look like especially since you started the slippery elm..........
Good to hear that she is full of energy... that is a very VERY good sign :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

CaliGirl
State: California
Pet name: Cali
My name: Nicole

Post by CaliGirl » 25 Jan 2021, 12:38

I definitely will, thank you so much Olesia!

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 25 Jan 2021, 14:59

Nicole, this is all such great news, and I am happy for you. Happy for Cali, too, that she has you. My vet told me that in 20 years she had never seen a case of EPI, which I found startling, to be honest. But, because of that, she sent me to a vet who knew more about it, who retired shortly after he helped us get started. I know, we get so attached to our vets, and your new baby is a special situation, so hopefully, your vet will be anxious to learn more about EPI. After Tucker's diagnosis and stabilization, I thought my vet would be curious to learn more, but she isn't, so I have learned to navigate my way through this EPI stuff with the help of this amazing forum. Mind you, Tucker was only 10 pounds underweight at 60 pounds, not a fragile little thing like your puppy is. I'm not sure why I'm writing all this, with no constructive ideas, but I guess I just wanted to say I'm pulling for you.---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 25 Jan 2021, 20:26

Nicole, it is so uplifting to read your update about Cali. There is nothing like seeing our pups full of energy, doing all the wonderful things that puppies do. Congratulations. You are doing a great job. She is lucky to have you.

Barb

GabandSam
State: Utah
Pet name: Richie Robison
My name: Gabi or Sam

Post by GabandSam » 25 Jan 2021, 21:18

Hi there! We are new to the world of EPI as well. First off, it gets better. When our dog was drastically below weight and so so sick I cried everyday. It was awful. Just know, it will get better. Biggest tips: keep a journal of what you do and make small changes. As far as treats go, I would refrain which is so hard. Try little pieces of ice and see if that’s a fun reward. Keep us posted!
Richie is a 5yo schnoodle(3/4poodle 1/4 schnauzer)

Diagnoses with EPI Nov. 2020. Lowest weight was 8lb. Normal weight 12-13 lbs.

CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl » 25 Jan 2021, 23:58

First, Pam thank you so much for that reply. That really really helps. I felt so lost when talking to my vet, it was like she didn’t even care about what I was saying. It was so discouraging. I’m not attached to my vet. Unfortunately being military like we are it is so hard to become attached to any place. Hence why I now I have my Cali girl. I felt so lost after losing my roxy girl and my boyfriend knew I needed that attachment. I’m trying so hard and will do anything for this little girl, she is my little fighter pup! It brings me so much joy that she is the happy energetic puppy I knew she was but couldn’t show it right away. I just know this will be a long road to get her where I need her to be, and I’m ready for it. It helps to have you all more than you know! I’m hoping for a little more clarity once she has her re-check at the hospital Friday. This poor little girl still has so much gas( absolutely terrible gas) and when we are not here is still eating her poop. I know she has some type of SID going on. I just don’t get why they aren’t leaning that way. So far the slippery elm hasn’t come with many changes, however I just started yesterday and she is only getting a little less than 1/8 tsp. She is little so I don’t want to over do it right away, so I’m testing it out. Thank you ALL!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 26 Jan 2021, 08:07

Give the SLippery ELM one more day (i guess that would be today).... if you are not seeing ANY results at all... THEN go back to your vet and insist on starting Cali on Tylan.... DO NOT let them put her on Metronidazole. THat horrible gas is SID (small intestinal dysbiosis)

https://www.chewy.com/tylan-soluble-powder/dp/173769
https://www.medi-vet.com/VetOne-Tylosin ... /19172.htm

Please continue to keep us apprised of what is going on....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl » 26 Jan 2021, 12:21

Olesia, I couldn’t agree with you more. Because I already had this check up scheduled for Friday, I was going to give it until then, and hopefully they will give me antibiotics. Do you also believe the SID is what is making her poop soft still? And why she is still going so much?

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 26 Jan 2021, 19:40

yes....it sure sounds like typical SID..... Did the few days on SLippery Elm not help? Just want to double check. If no positive results from the SLippery ELm... YES... call the vet and say you want to start your little one on Tylan. It needs to be given twice a day with food (breakfast and dinner.... but full disclosure... it is NASTY, bitter tasting.... so Cali may be fine with it mixed in with her food... OR..... she might not.... mine REFUSED to eat anything with Tylan in it... i had to camouflage it by pouring the designated amount in an empty gel cap and then washing my hands with soap and water to get any Tylan air-borne residue off my fingers...... and then i had to tuck that tylan filled gel cap into a blob of cream cheese.... this was the only way my dog would take Tylan.

Check out the dosing chart on this page so you can will know how much to give.
https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

Also... YES... please do continue with the probiotics.... however... if you want, once the forti flora is finished.... ask your vet to let you try Proviable.... maybe that will work better on Cali... or not... but worth trying. Just remember ALWAYS start with less than half the recommended dose of probiotics and work your way up to a full dose over the course of a week or two.

CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl » 15 Feb 2021, 13:29

Hi everyone! Sorry for being MIA for a while. I am happy to report that Cali is now up to 5.8 pounds. She still has a ton of energy and is still biting everything, including mommy and daddy.(still trying to train). My new frustrations lie in the fact that Cali’s reflux and gas have gotten worse and we STILL don’t have solid poops, and she still seems to be going a lot. I had blood work done last Friday which indicated that her folate levels were on the high end. The labs interpretation was SID. My vet still will not give me tylan. I have come right out and asked for it, I have explained her symptoms, I have contacted the hospital where she was treated, I have done just about everything. I don’t understand. I don’t know what to do. I truly believe these symptoms are due to SID. I feel like she would become more comfortable given the antibiotics. I literally feel stuck. I get to a degree where they are coming from as Cali has had a rough road. But this is just insane. They have said things, like “only German Shetland’s get SID” to “let’s keep trying different probiotics” I just don’t understand what I am suppose to do? Does anyone have any ideas?