Mental health n logistics

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Nainbud
Pet name: Buddy
My name: Naina

Re: Mental health n logistics

Post by Nainbud » 24 Jan 2021, 00:20

Montogomery is so lucky to have you around all the time. You are doing such a great job.

I really wish the stress with Epi dogs was less. I feel I have stopped living for myself post Buddy's diagnosis. Some days are good but some days it's bad and I fear going out of the place I stay now for her health.

Thank you olesia for suggesting the training methods.

I think it's more of a mental load in my case that seems unending
Buddy diagnosed on July 8,2020.
Currently on Pancreatic lipase 1000: 1.5 capsule for each meal.
Broth of chicken potato pumpkin supplemented with 2 eggs, banana(1/2 per day) n curd n multivitamins, each meal has atleast 350gms food n 300gms of water. She is currently at 21kgs which was her original weight. she is an active dog who loves to play.

Nainbud

Post by Nainbud » 24 Jan 2021, 01:59

Nainbud wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 00:11 Hey Tuckaboo Pam

Thank you so much for being so positive.

When I say watching non stop is that we have our workplace which is also our old house n we have 2 big gardens there. The dogs are in the gardens n have a separate room outside. They aren't indoors as they were initially kept to protect them from their street life n due to our nature of work we couldn't keep them indoors. So we have cameras all around n I keep a watch on buddy through the cameras just to see when she goes to poop in the garden so I can immediately pick it up before she eats it as she doesn't have any routine timings related to her poop. I don't take my dogs outside the house for a walk owing to hygiene reasons and the fact that they have ample space in the boundary of the house to play , pee n poo.

My main concern for keeping a 24*7 watch is her poop eating habit which she developed since epi.

I will have a look at the rumble collar as well as the horn suggested by olesia.
I am also going to try the meat tenderizer if that can shoo away her coprophagia. Other than that I don't feel she needs an eye as long as her poop is stable. She does sometimes eats grass but that's okay it doesn't interfere with her health so I am okay with it.

But I do understand from all the replies that we definitely need some help for our epi dogs if we are out. They can't be left alone for long.

Thank you so much all
Broth of chicken potato pumpkin supplemented with 2 eggs, banana(1/2 per day) n curd n multivitamins, each meal has atleast 350gms food n 300gms of water. She is currently at 21kgs which was her original weight. she is an active dog who loves to play.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 24 Jan 2021, 21:27

Hi there! Thank you so much for rescuing your sweet girl. I was going to suggest using a crate/kennel but it does not sound like that is a viable option for her. My husband and I are gone for 9hrs a day for work but our boy stays in a very large kennel. He ate his poop when he was first diagnosed with EPI - it stopped after using the proper EPI protocol and he was actually digesting his food. Hopefully that will be the case for your girl cause it's such a yucky habbit.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Nainbud

Post by Nainbud » 11 Jun 2021, 17:20

Hi
Thank you so much all for your help n support when I was feeling so low.
I am so glad to inform you all that she has gotten rid of her poop eating habit.
Soooo happy about it 🎉🎉🎉

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 11 Jun 2021, 20:42

Great update! Thank you for sharing - now you can enjoy those doggie kisses LOL
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 12 Jun 2021, 05:13

Good morning from the UK

I hope this finds you well

none of my dogs lived outside so its hard to say

when we first got Kara she was a well 5 month old Shepherd, she developed EPI at 14 months old, luckily I was at home recovering from surgery but at that point unable to exercise her properly, so my Husband did

she was a very lively dog outside but very lazy at home,

as for eating poop , this is a regular issue with our dogs, my vet explained that its usually because their EPI isnt fully stable,

we both were at work during the day, and Kara after her morning walk would just disappear up the stairs to our bed, we would leave the radio on for her, and my friend had a key to our house incase we needed her but we never did

after the first problems of pooing every hour she became totally stable, the vet said that the problem was that the food smelled as good coming out as it did when they ate it

Pineapple is the thing people use by adding it to the food, seems to work

I am glad that things seem to have gotten better for you

Jx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Nainbud

Post by Nainbud » 13 Jul 2021, 06:53

Hi Jean
Thank you for responding to my queries.
My baby was an outdoor dog until now.
We just lost her sibling our Bruno baby due to unknown reason in span of 2 days. We as well as buddy are devastated n grieving.
So we decided to get her in.
Obviously getting has its own set of issues to tackle. But I just worry about eatables that unknowingly fall on the floor.
I am glad your gal is doing well!
Poop is no longer an issue with BuD now

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Jul 2021, 10:47

that is very good news to hear that poop is no longer an issue.... that means you are on the right track :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 14 Jul 2021, 20:22

I am glad to read that she is no longer eating poos. It sounds like she is getting balanced.

I am also very sorry that you had to say Goodbye to Bruno. It sounds like it was sudden, which is very hard to deal with. It is never easy, letting one of our companions go.

You will probably feel somewhat relieved knowing that your girl is safe inside.

Let us know how she does.

Barb

Nainbud

Post by Nainbud » 15 Jul 2021, 14:47

Thank you Barb.
I have never experienced grief like this ever before. The first 2 days were really hard. I was bawling uncontrollably. But I was constantly getting healings done for myself n my family. Honestly I am so so much at peace now.
Yes her passing away was extremely sudden but I guess she is well protected n safe wherever she is.
Also I bid her goodbye with all the customs we do for our family member. So probably that helped us all too.
Buddy is definitely safe n sound inside n thankfully her poops remained stable all throughout this time of distress. She lost her companion too. I did think that I might be in for a lil ride with the poop due to the stress but thankfully it was all well.

Thank you so much for reaching out!
I hope you and your fur babies are well.