Adjust enzyme amount?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Adjust enzyme amount?

Post by Olesia711 » 01 Feb 2021, 19:14

Thanks for sharing the test results values with us.

Your dogs' B12 is too low..... needs to be in the upper 500's or 600's at the very least.

Jill gave you a great suggestion.... i too highly recommend WOnderlabs Pet Factor B12.... and do use the coupon..... "EPi4Dogs15" although we just got a notice late last week that we now will get 20% off.... but i have not yet said anything because i do not know if it is in effect just yet.... but if you get 20% off, please let us know. AND..... buying directly from Wonderlabs is cheaper than Amazon.

We no longer use the Folate test result to determine if the dog has SID as ALL dogs with EPI have SID to one degree or another.... BUT.... when the Folate test result is high (in the 20's) it is an indication that SID is greatly out-of-control.

SO..... definitely start on a pre+probiotic if you haven't already.... and if that doesn't start to help at all in a few weeks... then ask your vet for a 45 day/twice a day Tylan . YOu can actually just ask your vet to approve a prescription for it for Chewy.com.... https://www.chewy.com/tylan-soluble-powder/dp/173769 and you can order it yourself online.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Curtis
State: *
Pet name: Lucy

Post by Curtis » 02 Feb 2021, 09:15

So looks like I need to order some B12. Question......is all B12 the same as in if I go to a local health food store will that B12 be similar to the Wonderlabs that is recommended here? I ask as I am in Canada and ordering from the States can be timely and costly. For example the enzymes I got from Enzyme Diane that were $88US on the website by the time it was converted to CDN, shipping, duty, etc the total was $167CDN. Still better than the vet, but if I can source items locally I save bigtime in the long run. If the Wonderlabs is that much better no problem, but thought I would ask.

Also, any recommendations on the pre/pro biotics?

Thanks again!

Curtis

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 02 Feb 2021, 14:27

Wonderlabs Pet Factor w/Intrinsic Factor is the one that is suggested, and it is the one you need. It is my understanding that human grade B12 is not easily absorbed by dogs. I hope this bottle doesn't double in price, like the enzymes did!---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 02 Feb 2021, 18:22

Hi Curtis,

A warm welcome to you and your pup. You have received excellent advice .....i will just add my support for the B12 with Intrinsic Factor from Wonderlabs. Often the B12 sold in health food stores is human grade without intrinsic factor which is necessary and helps it to be absorbed by the dogs. Or it is a B Complex, which is not adequate for our pups. Wonderlabs are terrific to work with and they have an excellent product. Hopefully, the 20% discount that Olesia mentioned will help.

I also heartily recommend keeping a log/journal.....which you might already do. We found it to be a sanity-saver. Record everything you give your dog daily and the amounts, then record the resulting poos. This will help you to figure out what works and what needs to be adjusted. It also helps you to see patterns you might not notice if they are not written down.

It sounds like you are off to a good start.

Barb

Curtis

Post by Curtis » 03 Feb 2021, 14:22

Thanks again everyone, I ordered the Wonderlabs B12 today and can confirm the code you had provided gave me a 20% discount!!!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 03 Feb 2021, 16:23

HI Curtis... Glad you ordered the B1 and thanks for confirming that it gave you 20% off...... Good to know that the 20% is now in effect :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 03 Feb 2021, 19:52

Hi Curtis! Glad you ordered the B12 as Olesia said your pup's B12 is too low. I've not heard of anyone having issues ordering WonderLabs from Canada so hopefully you won't either. Please keep us updated on how things are going.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Curtis

Post by Curtis » 02 Mar 2021, 09:43

Finally got my B12 yesterday - took almost a month so will have to plan ahead in the future! In the meantime I had my vet give Lucy a B12 shot and I think it has improved things. In the meantime Lucy had a UTI and had to be treated for that......vets love bulldogs!

Now I have a new question, it seems I am low on enzymes so I went to re-order. I thought I went through my enzymes quicker than I should have so want to check some info with you fine folks. I feed Lucy 1 cup kibble per meal and add 1 teaspoon of enzyme. To be precise, I use a baking teaspoon which says right on it 1 teaspoon and 5 ml. Google tells me that 5 ml is one teaspoon, and that 5 ml = 5 g yet when I look at the Enzyme Diane website it says a teaspoon is 2.8g? Am I just out to lunch or have I been feeding her double the enzyme she should be getting?

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Mar 2021, 11:14

Hi Curtis,

Rest assured, you are not out to lunch :lol:

You are doing things correctly if you are using a 1 tsp measuring spoon. Yes 5 ml is equal to 1 tsp. I have a set of baking spoons that i also used to measure my enzymes.... and it too says 1 tsp = 5 ml. :)

I also spoke to EnzymeDiane, she said she'll post and explain too :)

D Sloan
State: Ohio

Post by D Sloan » 02 Mar 2021, 11:44

You are doing fine. It is due to the light weight of the powder. 1 teaspoon of sugar is different in grams than 1 teaspoon of enzymes or 1 teaspoon of flour. They are all different densities.
500 grams is about 180 teaspoons but I would scoop a teaspoon, dump it back in and then scoop again gently so it is not packed.