Exactly what tests do I ask for?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: Exactly what tests do I ask for?

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 14 Feb 2021, 10:29

Madelon! Thank you.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 14 Feb 2021, 15:19

........ and a big glass of wine helps too ! :lol:
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 15 Feb 2021, 08:13

A glass of wine helps with everything, it used to be a cup of tea...........................................................

Point is, you have been treating as if its EPI ,and the Shebo test said it was, so I reckon it is..

When we took Kara ,and I insisted on the test in 2010 the young vet at the time said it wasnt, she was too young, so we did the test, and he rang back tail between his legs, and said I was right, I had a cat with it in the 80's, you never forget that rancid smell, vet didnt believe cat had had it either

let us know
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 15 Feb 2021, 09:58

It's done!!! Tucker and I traversed over 100 miles this morning for his blood draw, and I'm happy to say we are home & Tucker's belly is full. Here is what I know---the blood will go out today by UPS, and it will be sent to Texas A&M.

This is what the printout says---

PLI/TLI/COBALAMINE/FOLATE 2ML---sure hope it's right!

Here's something fun, though---Because our regular vet is mobile, Tucker hasn't been weighed since before treatment started when, at 5 years old, he weighed 60 pounds. That was what he weighed at 6 months, too, with no change in his size since that time. He did not have dramatic weight loss, just no weight gain. His hip bones protruded slightly & you could see his ribs, but you wouldn't have called him emaciated. Basically, he looked like I wish I did, and the vet just thought he had a fast metabolism.

So, over the past year and nine months he has certainly filled out nicely, but it looked as though he had put on maybe 5-7 pounds. Still lean & strong, but you can't see his ribs. Well, when he stepped on the scale this morning, he weighed in at 80 pounds! My boy has actually gained 20 POUNDS!!! I am elated. No wonder I can't pick him up.

Thanks for all your words of encouragement, and even though she won't read this, thanks Dr. Blackburn, for knocking hundreds of dollars off the fee, so we can finally define whether Tucker does or doesn't have EPI. This world really is full of wonderful people. I'll be in touch!---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 15 Feb 2021, 10:25

wow 80 pounds, my Kara stabilised at 90 for several years
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 16 Feb 2021, 10:34

WOW - congrats on the weight gain. Doc had lost 20lbs by the time I got him diagnosed - we were lucky and he gained it back in 6 weeks - he was 95lbs - he stays pretty much at that weight except during winter he usually packs on an extra 10lbs since he's not as active so I actually have to cut his food back during the winter LOL - who would think you'd have to cut back an EPI dog's food LOL - he's currently 105lbs which is a bit too much for his joints.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 19 Feb 2021, 17:50

Hi Pam! Just wanted to check in and see if you got your test results back yet - I know how anxious you are :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 19 Feb 2021, 22:35

Hi Pam,

So glad you had the tests done... and that's over with... and the weight gain... 80lbs??!!!! WOW! that is fantastic.
And don't worry whether or not it is EPI, you are now part of the Epi4Dogs family and always welcome here... whether your dog does or doesnt have EPI!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 21 Feb 2021, 19:34

OLESIA!!! You know that advice you all give, to go early in the week so the blood doesn't sit around all weekend before being sent to TEXAS??? Well, let's add to that advice, don't have your dog's blood drawn on the Monday before the storm of the century hits Texas, or you will get an email from the vet apologizing that the blood is still in FL, one week later. SIGH. I can't complain, though, those poor people are living through hell. Prayers for all of them. I will keep you posted, and thanks so much for asking. ---Pam

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Feb 2021, 20:38

OMG Pam... i didn't even think of that... DAMN! i wonder if they will ask you if they can re-draw the blood............... at a later date when everyone is back to normal in Texas.............this was certainly unforeseen!