Exactly what tests do I ask for?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Exactly what tests do I ask for?

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 09 Feb 2021, 13:59

Tucker is finally getting a fasting blood test on Monday morning, thanks to a vet who is the mother of one of my students. She is willing to do just the blood draw without starting from scratch, thank goodness. Since this will only happen once, can you please tell me what to ask for? AND, is it really ok to fast him for just 8 hours, as it says on the How to test for EPI page? I'll be getting to her office at 8 am, but it's a 50 mile drive, so I don't want him getting sick along the way. If I can feed him at bedtime, that will really help, but of course I don't want to mess things up. Thanks!---Pam(who is getting her 2nd covid vaccine on Friday, so hoping I'm fine to do this by Monday. Hearing lots of stories about the second shot)
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Exactly what tests do I ask for?

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Feb 2021, 23:15

Hi Pam,

YEA!!!!!!! you are getting the TLI test done... great news!

Technically that is the latest protocol a minimum of 8 hrs.... but they say 8-12.... Personally, i would do the 12 hours fast. However, when we say "fast" it is a food fast, do not hold water from Tucker.

The best thing to do (if possible) is to have an early morning appt.... that way Tucker can sleep thru most of the fasting period..... and then you can feed Tucker breakfast immediately after they draw the blood.... even if (since you are traveling with him to the appt) you only give him a little bit for breakfast and give him the remainder when you get home :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 10 Feb 2021, 06:33

this is what TAMU say

https://vetmed.tamu.edu/gilab/service/assays/tli/

I would go with 12 hours personally, scroll down past the repeated tests

and I am pleased that you have got the test

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Feb 2021, 13:29

Oh... and while they are drawing the blood for the TLI test, the best thing is to also have them drawn enough blood for the B12 (Cobalamin & Folate ) blood test done also.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 10 Feb 2021, 21:37

OK, I will do that. He stopped taking B12 last Sunday, and to be clear, when I feed him his last meal on Sunday at 7:30 PM, do I include the slippery elm & enzymes?
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Feb 2021, 23:31

Perfect. Glad ou stopped the B12 capsules 1 week before testing.... that is what you are supposed to do.

And YES, if his typical meal includes SLippery ELm.... then include SLippery Elm.
And YES, give enzymes with his Sunday nite meal.... giving enzymes do not skew the test results :)

So glad you are getting this done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 13 Feb 2021, 10:40

Hi Pam! Glad you are getting the test done and found someone to do it without having to through a bunch of other nonsense :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Feb 2021, 11:00

Wishing you Luck Pam and be sure to keep us posted!!

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 14 Feb 2021, 08:09

Olesia, you KNOW I can't wait to post the results. I am a little worried, to be honest. Even though the ScheBo test was positive & he had every single symptom, what if it's not EPI? What if the vet doesn't send it to TAMU? What if I can't find the office tomorrow? What if Tucker won't get in the car? My shoulder is hurt, and I can't pick him up! What if it snows??? I'm in FL, but it's happened before!!! Mostly, though, if it's not EPI, and the protocol has worked for so long, what do I do? All questions are rhetorical, of course, but other than the snow, I am a little worried about the results, and I just needed to get that off my chest! I know you will give me guidance, if the test is negative. Thanks so much for the release----Pam & Tucker

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 14 Feb 2021, 10:25

Pam - I totally understand your worries - it's obvious how much you love Tucker. Remember there is a gray area where the TLI is not quite EPI but all of the symptoms are there and we advise to treat as if EPI. If it's not EPI then you will remain here on the forum as you are now part of the family and we'll do our best to help you figure out what else could be going on BUT I have a feeling the test will clearly show he is EPI. Hang in there and remember to breathe.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.