1yr Izzy Anniversary

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

1yr Izzy Anniversary

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Feb 2021, 11:42

Today is the one year anniversary from when i had to say goodbye to my heart-dog Izzy.

Izzy was the reason why the EPi4Dogs organization & website was created 13 years ago.

When the vet told me that she had EPI... i said what the heck was EPI???? The vet said it was a serious condition that only German Shepherd Dogs and Rough Coated Collies get! WHAT???????????? My Izzy was a Spanish Water Dog. Then i looked up the symptoms and went numb. This is a HORRIBLE condition.

Then i found out that it's been around for years, but not much was being done to figure out why it happens.
SO I started contacting every single veterinarian university in the USA to see is someone/anyone would be willing to look into why EPI happens.

Since then, Epi4Dogs has worked with/collaborated with some wonderful researchers at multiple veterinarian universities on EPI ....Texas A&M, Univ of Illinois, Clemson Univ and various UK and European veterinarian universities. Although we have not yet found an absolute answer as to why it happens, i suspect we are close.... and we have also uncovered much needed new information about EPI and are continuing to do so.

In the meantime, Epi4Dogs website was started to help share as much and as current as possible valid EPI information AND to start a help line (the forum and now FB too) to help others dealing with EPI.... EPI does not happen to just GSD and Rough Coated Collies it happens to all breeds.... and everything is not all fixed by just sprinkling replacement enzymes on their food.... it is all about finding the right balance of recommended treatment for the WHOLE dog, including right enzymes/right application, right food, B12 and addressing each EPI dog's individual gut flora imbalance called "SID"! And this has been and continues to be addressed by Epi4Dogs staff and EPI pets owners from around the world.. we are a community of helping one another that has become family.

All this happened because of a plain brown, funny, joyful and sometimes naughty little brown Spanish Water Dog named Izzy.
Izzy, you personally stole my heart, made me laugh every single day, and taught me how to appreciate all the little things in life. Izzy you literally changed the course of my life. But also because of you, so many, many lives around the world have been helped.....and will continue to be helped.... my dear, sweet funny little Izzy-wizzy, your legacy lives on.

Thank you for sharing your life with me, i treasure all our memories,
You are forever in my heart!
Attachments
Iz & me Farmville 2016 best-r.jpg
Iz & me Farmville 2016 best-r.jpg (67.39 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Re: 1yr Izzy Anniversary

Post by Montgomery » 13 Feb 2021, 13:20

We learn so much from the animals we share our lives with. What Izzy taught you has enabled you to help countless animals and people who find themselves suddenly faced with this scary and confusing condition. She was a lucky dog to live with someone who cared so much about her.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 13 Feb 2021, 13:25

Thank you for sharing your and Izzy's road to helping so many animals with Epi and associated conditions. Thank you for all your dedication and research.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Feb 2021, 13:43

thanks ladies....i miss her terribly as she was such a joy in mine and my family's life...... but she was so much more..... a wonderful inspiration to the EPI community and i am honored to continue the legacy in memory of her.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 13 Feb 2021, 15:38

Olesia,

It is so hard to believe that it has been a year since we said goodbye to Izzy. Having just had Kolby's 1 year anniversary, I know how impossible it seems that she has been gone that long.......and maybe that's because our pups don't actually leave us.

In a wonderful little novella called The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery , there is a lovely line: "What is essential is invisible to the eye." I think of this beautiful truth so often. So much of life, so many of our most profound experiences are invisible to the eye. The bond we have with our dogs is one of these experiences. We know that Izzy will always be with you. The bond you have with her will never be broken. It is essential. We all carry her in our hearts.

Barb

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Feb 2021, 16:01

Thank you Barb... that is a BEAUTIFUL saying and perfectly expressed. The spirit of my Izzy is most definitely essential to me............. Thank you. for sharing that.

And hugs back at you regarding Kolby's recent 1 year anniversary also. I know we will never forget........... here is an anonymous poem that i treasure:

The moment that you left me
My heart split in two,
One side filled with memories,
The other side died with you.
I often lay awake at night when the
world is fast asleep, and take a
walk down memory lane with
tears upon my cheek.
I hold you tightly within my heart
and there you will remain.
You see life has gone on
without you, but it will
Never be the same.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 14 Feb 2021, 07:51

Awww, what a touching tribute to your Izzy. She was an special brown dog, who came into the life of the exact right person; whose "dogged" determination has helped save the lives of so many dogs around the world. Honestly, if I hadn't gotten help with Tucker, I likely would eventually have had to consider euthanasia as the only merciful option. Instead, I have a totally imperfect, high strung silly boy, who is the love of my life.
Thank you, Izzy the angel dog & her faithful companion, Olesia.---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 14 Feb 2021, 10:35

I can't believe it's been a year since we said goodbye to Izzy. She was indeed an extremely special dog with an extremely special human. Because of the two of you and your relentless determination, thousands of lives around the world have been saved. And not just the dogs' lives but the owner's lives as well. God sent Izzy to you for a reason - to save lives. I cannot thank you enough for all of the selfless hours you have spent researching EPI and how to properly manage it and holding all of our hands as you guide us through saving our dogs and cats. So from the bottom of my heart I thank you and Doc thanks you sending you lots of slobbery kisses.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 14 Feb 2021, 15:18

Ahh thanks ladies.... i just know that wherever Izzy's essence is now.... she is happy to know that EPI dogs from all over are still being helped.....
Attachments
Xmas 2016 Just Izzy-r.jpg
Xmas 2016 Just Izzy-r.jpg (125.09 KiB) Viewed 2368 times

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 15 Feb 2021, 06:48

Much love Olesia

Its nearly two years since we lost Kara, and its bringing tears to my eyes writing this

And we would have probably lost her earlier had this group, and Izzy not existed, and I know a lot more UK dogs and cats would have been lost without you as there at the time was no other board or forum, and a lot of them have become personal friends, just like you

LOVE

Jeanxxxxxxxx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx