Found German Shepherd with EPI-Stressed, Overwhelmed, and Sad

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Re: Found German Shepherd with EPI-Stressed, Overwhelmed, and Sad

Post by Jane&Clyde » 26 Feb 2021, 13:37

I'm so glad that you are in a better place mentally and that Frankie is already seeing some results from some changes that you have made. Frankie is lucky to have you.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 26 Feb 2021, 18:51

Hi Jenifer - welcome to our EPI family. From someone who volunteers in rescue - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for taking in Frankie - he sounds like a sweet heart. My heart broke for you as I was reading your post remembering when my boy was first diagnosed and how overwhelmed I felt and alone - until I found this amazing group of people to help me.

You've been given GREAT advice from the guru of all things EPI, Olesia, so I won't muddy the waters but I did want to recommend keeping a detailed journal of everything you give and the resulting poop - it will help you figure out what works and what doesn't PLUS if your like me and can't remember your own name half the time it will help you remember what you're currently giving LOL. Here's a link to an EPI log you can download to use https://epi4dogs.com/epi-log/

Another thing you might want to try is cutting up a carrot and putting it in the food - make a note of the date/time you give the carrot and then watch for it in the poop and make a note of the date/time you see the carrot in the poop. This will tell you Frankie's transition time - all to often we think the poop we are looking at is from the meal we just fed when in fact it can be from a meal 2 days ago. The recent research shows a dog's transition time can be anywhere from 12-72hrs - this too will help you figure out what works and what doesn't.

Please feel free to ask questions, vent, scream, cry whatever you need here - we've all been there and we are ALL here to help guide you through this journey.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 28 Feb 2021, 20:13

Jenifer, please keep us posted. Did you receive the Proviable?---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 01 Mar 2021, 11:44

Hi Jenifer,

I also heartily endorse the log/journal. It saved our sanity when we were trying to figure things out for Kolby. I didn't want you to feel like you had one more thing to do, but the journal helps you to see things you might not notice if you hadn't put them in writing. Madelon gave you the link to the log form ......or you can just use a notebook. Hang in there and let us know how Frankie is doing....and how you are doing. He is soooooo lucky to have you.

Barb

jenifercasey
State: California
Pet name: Frankie
My name: Jenifer Casey

Post by jenifercasey » 01 Mar 2021, 15:22

Hi Everyone,

I finally have a few minutes to respond to everyone and give you a Frankie update.

First of all, I'm just so grateful to have found this site, to Olesia for all she does, and for all of you who have responded and been so generous. This past weekend, I received two packages in the mail, and I can't tell you how meaningful it is to me. One of the packages was Diane's Enzymes donated in the memory of a beloved pet, Olivia. I can't even type this without blubbering the whole time. Thank you so much and may Olivia's memory be a blessing. 🙏🏼🧡

I also received a package of Proviable probiotics from Pam Holbrook and gave Frankie his first capsule today! 😊💖 (I didn't read your instructions first, Pam, and gave him the whole capsule 😮. I feel so dumb. I'll lower the amount tomorrow and work up to the whole capsule and hope it doesn't upset his tummy too much. 😌

Thank you to Barb, Jane&Clyde, Madelon for also reaching out and showing me where I can get the Google doc form to keep track of Frankie's info. I've been writing it down on a paper, but this will come in handy for sure!!

I called Frankie's vet on Friday to get a prescription for Tylan, but the vet he sees is not in until Wednesday, so they are leaving her a message, but I will check back on Wednesday. They said they carry it in the vets office for $27.33 a tablespoon. I don't know how many grams this is, but I read he needs 5-10 Milligrams per 10 pounds of his weight, so I have to determine if it would be cheaper to buy online. I've also ordered B12 and Slippery Elm from Wonderlab.

Frankie's poops are doing much better. Lol. They are firmer piles, with shape and darker brown. They used to be pools of yellowish liquid or much softer and mushier. He still is gassy, so I'm hoping the Tylan can help this.

I am going to get him weighed today to see if he has gained weight. The biggest change I've noticed is his hunger. When I first got him, he was ravenous. I couldn't leave any food around. He ripped open bags of dog food, cat food, stole food from the counter, ate everything in sight. He doesn't do this anymore. I have a bag of brand new dog food sitting out and he doesn't touch it. He doesn't try to steal food and seems more relaxed between meals. I'm feeding him 1 3/4-2 cups of kibble (Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream) 3 times a day, mixed with one teaspoon of Enzymes per cup. I was using PancrePlus but then switched to Pan-Tenex and when this is done, I'll start using the Diane's Enzymes.

I'm reading through all the material and resources on this website and reviewing the advice everyone has been giving me. I can't thank everyone enough. I am attaching pictures of Frankie here.
Frankie with Donations_2.jpg
Frankie with Donations_2.jpg (2.91 MiB) Viewed 2145 times
Frankie with Donations.jpg
Frankie with Donations.jpg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 2145 times
Frankie with Enzyme Donations.jpg
Frankie with Enzyme Donations.jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 2145 times

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 01 Mar 2021, 18:36

YEA!!!!! I was beginning to get worried about you, but I sure do understand being busy. I'm just glad you got everything, and that things are looking up.

Tucker's therapeutic dose of Tylan was 1/4 teaspoon twice a day, so that is 1/2 teaspoon daily, and there are 3 teaspoons to a tablespoon. So, I guess you'd be getting 6 days out of the amount the vet provides? WOW, that's a pretty outrageous price, actually.

100 grams costs $56.00 at chewy, and googling grams=tablespoons, I get 6 3/4 tablespoons. All I know is, the jar lasts me a long time. It is RX, so your vet would have to allow you to get it filled on chewy.com.

Somebody else may have a better idea. Oh, and his poo may be a little loose tomorrow from the prov, but just know that's what it's from & don't be upset. It'll work its way through him. I did the exact same thing. I believe the proviable & slippery elm combo is what has really made Tucker turn the corner longterm.

YIPPEE for Frankie!!!!----Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 02 Mar 2021, 15:30

What a sweetheart! I just want to give him a big hug!

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 07 Mar 2021, 11:25

Thanks for posting the update! His face is so expressive and he's absolutely adorable. Not sure about your vet's pricing on the Tylan - I would order it from Chewy and just ask them to approve it. Here's the link to provide you the dosing for Tylan - it is based on weight - if you're within 5lbs of using a higher dose I would go ahead and use the higher dose https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

Keep us updated when you have time.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.