Found German Shepherd with EPI-Stressed, Overwhelmed, and Sad

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jenifercasey
State: California
Pet name: Frankie
My name: Jenifer Casey

This is a hot topic! Found German Shepherd with EPI-Stressed, Overwhelmed, and Sad

Post by jenifercasey » 24 Feb 2021, 00:29

Hi I am new to this site. This is my first post on this forum.

I rescue and foster dogs. I usually do this through a rescue organization where I live in Fresno, California. But I found and rescued a German Shepherd 5 weeks ago yesterday that had been dumped in the country about an hour and a half from my house. I thought I would have him a few weeks and find him a home, but after hundreds of dollars in vet bills because he had constant diarrhea and was so skinny but always starving, he was diagnosed with EPI. I have three other dogs (one is a unadoptable foster) and cannot keep this boy, but I'm doing my best to try and get him healthier before finding him a home if possible. He is probably the sweetest dog, I've ever met, and I really love him already. I've spent over 1,500 on him with vet bills and enzyme powder.

I took him to one vet who told me to put him to sleep, that it was too expensive and too time intensive. I was so depressed for days. I have taken him to two other vets. He is on enzymes now for about three 1/2 weeks. I feed him three times a day. I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't feel like I get enough information from the vets. Sometimes he seems to be doing better based on slightly firmer poops or less watery poop to poop that looks like poop and then he gets diarrhea again.

At his last vet appointment last week, he had gained about 4.5 pounds over the 5 weeks I've had him. He weighed 58.5 pounds when I got him, and he currently weighs 63 pounds. But I feel so hopeless and like I'm doing this totally blind. I'm overwhelmed and sad a lot. I don't sleep well. I can't give my other dogs the proper attention they need. I've read so much, literally hours and hours of research and learn more each time but get more confused as well.

I'm crying as I write this because I feel so hopeless and overwhelmed. My own dogs, one is a German Shepherd, have been so neglected since I rescued, Frankie, and the shepherd is not nice to him. I think he is jealous. I am on a limited budget and raised money on gofundme to get the money to pay for his initial vet bills and enzymes. I ran out of this money. I don't know what to do or where to turn. I don't want to put him to sleep. He is such a good boy. I need help and feel helpless.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out what to feed him. I started with grain free kibble and wet dog food and then started making food or a combination of store bought and homemade. I know he needs very low fiber under 4%, maybe 10-12% fat, and good protein, chicken or turkey or? I look up recipes and amounts for his size and weight, and though I see how much fat, protein, and fiber, I can't figure out proportions in real food or dog food because he is not a normal dog or at least in terms of diet. I'm so lost.

The vet said based on his size he should be 75-80 pound. So he needs to gain 12-17 pounds. What do I feed him? How much at each of his three feedings? I boil chicken and white rice and use pumpkin, cottage cheese or yams/sweet potatoes, nonfat plain yogurt. I've used carrots, kale, broccoli. I've add dry dog food (Taste of the Wild grain free what my other dogs eat). It seems like I feed him 3-4 cups a meal three times a day, but I don't know the ratio or amount of each type of food I should be feeding him. He is so gassy and so hungry all the time.

I finally read that I should grind up all his food into a mush so the enzymes can coat all the food, so now I'm doing this. The vet said three teaspoons (I've been giving him PancrePlus) but then I read it should be 1 teaspoon per one cup, but I don't know how many cups I should be giving him at each meal. I let his food sit for 20-30 minutes at room temperature before I feed him. I don't know if I can make bigger batches put with the enzymes and store it for later (with enzymes added) or if I have to make his food and then add the enzymes each time I'm going to feed him, which is what I do now. I feel like I spend 2-3 hours a day just making his food waiting for the enzymes and trying to feed my other dogs and cats. I have no life anymore. I work and take care of this dog, and I'm so exhausted. But if I can save his life and find him a forever home, I'll keep working at this.

I also have been giving him B12 injections weekly. My new vet said I could do it myself, so I am, and it's so much cheaper. I will be giving him his 5th injection on Friday. I was told after 6 weeks to go month to month, but then I read I should first go every other week for another 6 weeks and then monthly. Is this right? I've also been reading about probiotics, Prilosec, and something called Tylan? Today I heard the term SIBO for the first time, so I researched this. It sounds like in order to figure that out it would cost hundreds more dollars.

I am charging everything now. I'm a teacher and live on a single income, so this could sink me unless I can figure out how to reduce my costs.

I was going to post this under the food section, but I just needed to post here first. I needed to vent. I can't stop being sad, overwhelmed, discouraged, depressed. I feel hopeful, then overwhelmed by the costs, the time, not knowing if I'm doing the right thing. Feeling like I'm not seeing the results I should. Not knowing if anything is working except he has gained some weight. I'm hoping I can find more answers here, a place to start, and support.

PS. I don't know how to do the topics at the top except for the first one that says hot topic when I put my curser over it. The others don't say anything.

Thanks so much for reading this.

Jenifer foster mom to Frankie
Frankie Laying in Kitchen.jpg
Frankie Laying in Kitchen.jpg (177.46 KiB) Viewed 2472 times

CaliGirl
Pet name: Cali
My name: Nicole

Re: Found German Shepherd with EPI-Stressed, Overwhelmed, and Sad

Post by CaliGirl » 24 Feb 2021, 00:59

Hi jenifer
First and foremost I want to say YOU ARE AMAZING! the fact that you are fostering this dog and trying your hardest to give him the good life he deserves says so much about the person you are!
I am pretty new to this forum as well. And my little girl Cali was recently diagnosed with EPI. I don’t know how much I can help you as I am still navigating my ways with Cali and trying to figure out how to get her stable. But what I can tell you is you are in the right place! The people on this forum changed my life! I too felt like you did, sad and overwhelmed. I honestly don’t know how my little girl even survived. At diagnosis she was 2 lbs and had already gone through parvo treatment. Her survival rate going through just the parvo was low. It took 2 months after that to figure out she had EPI. I wish I could give you more insight and help you but I know the other ladies on here will do just that for you, like they did for me. It is hard? very hard, but it does get better. Again I am still figuring out things for my little girl, getting her enzymes right, getting the food right and getting her poops right, but she is getting better and is over 6lbs now! She has so much energy, and is a playful CRAZY puppy. Prior to this all she did was sleep, ALL THE TIME! It warms my heart that she is the crazy happy puppy I knew was somewhere in there from the beginning.
They will help you here, welcome, and know that you are not alone and again, YOU ARE AMAZING!

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 24 Feb 2021, 06:11

Hi there and welcome from the UK

what a story and Thank you, I wish I was in California

Firstly lets look at costs

enzymes are expensive no matter where you go , but Enzyme Diane does discounted enzymes

https://enzymediane.com/

Food

we recommend low fibre, ,Grain free is also one that we recommend , but you have a lot going on there with several dogs. if it appears that this dog may also be sensitive to certain foods (continued loose/watery stools even after you have address all 4 aspects of EPI treatment) then you may need to look at possible food sensitivity/allergy and we have noticed that the most common food sensitivity is chicken based food, in which case try a different protein.

we also say to feed 50% over and above for the weight the dog SHOULD be over several meals

B12 , you are doing the right thing

Tylan is something to think about , but maybe not immediately

You are doing a sterling job and I am totally overwhelmed with your determination

we will throw the shout out to see if there is someone who will adopt him

in the mean time please ask anything, the Jealous dog , maybe feed them together from your hand, and as for grinding the food, why not ? I alwayd used a tablespoon of cat food to mix the enzymes, and then you could mix in when the incubation period is finished
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 24 Feb 2021, 09:26

Oh My Goodness, thank you SOOOOooooo much for trying to help Frankie, all that you have done, WOW! He certainly lucked out having you take him in.

We are in the process now of trying to get you some enzymes to help you out.... can you PLEASE email me (olesia.kennedy@gmail.com) with your mailing address?

Because you have SO much going on i am going to bypass a lot of the trial and error recommendations that is the typical proper protocol in approaching EPI management and i am just going to map out for you what to do for ease because of your situation..... and THEN if things don't come together like they should, then you can revert back to trying things and we will help you with that step by step.

Food: For ease and cost savings, try feeding Taste of the Wild-Pacific stream.... buy the smallest bag possible (so as not to waste money) to make sure it agrees . https://www.chewy.com/taste-wild-pacifi ... UuEALw_wcB
I would also add some real meat, like ground chicken (chopped lean beef or pork loin or something) maybe 1/4-1/2 of a cup per meal .
For Frankie, feed 5+1/4 cups kibble a day.... break this down into 3 meals a day, breakfast (before you go to work) Lunch (when you come home from work) and dinner (about an hour before you go to bad) Feed 1+3/4 cups of kibble with 1/4-1/2 cup of real meat at each of these 3 meals (and add just enough water to moisten the food for the enzymes that you ix in and let sit for 20 minutes) .. and give 2 tsps of the enzymes you are using right now (PancreaPlus)..... later you can switch to EnzymeDiane 6x and save approximately 60% on the cost of the enzymes.
I personally am a BIG proponent of feeding home-made food as long as you include proper vitamins, minerals & bone matter... but for ease right now because of your situation, start with the simple kibble and a little meat.. Include a fish oil supplement daily. a 500 mg tab would be great.

Next, typically we are supposed to suggest trying a prebiotic (for SID.. that gassy stomach & loose stools) and if that doesn't work, then try a prebiotic + probiotic (we are currently recommending Proviable or Visbiome) and if that doesn't work, then ask the vet to prescribe Tylan (Tylosin Tartrate SOluble powder). HOWEVER.... because of your desperate situation.... by pass this, talk to your vet and ask him to prescribe Tylan for Frankie AND ask him to simultaneously give Frankie either a Proviable or Visbiome. You can order the Tylan directly from Chewy but your vet will have to approve it as it is a prescription.
Here is the link for Tylan: https://www.chewy.com/tylan-soluble-powder/dp/173769

Explain to your vet that you need to give it twice a day with breakfast and dinner for 45 days.... and then we will help you slowly wean Frankie off of it (this seems to work better with some dogs than stopping completely all at once). Here is the dosing chart:
https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

Also please tell your vet that Tylan is a macrolide so that it will not kill all the gut flora bacteria but rather it will only inhibit reproduction... so you CAN give a probiotic at the same time. Also tell your vet that recent research now suggests to NOT use the Metronidazole antibiotic for any chronic intestinal condition as it kills all bacteria (which we knew) but what they have recently discovered is that some of the good bacteria that is destroyed by Metro (Flagyl) will never come back even if you give probiotics... this is why they are recommending to stay away from Metro with chronic gastrointestinal conditions. The Tylan dosing recommendation is on this page: https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

With the B12... typically if giving shots, you give for 6 weeks, then wait a month, give another shot, then wait another 30 days and re-test the B12 blood via B12 Cobalamin Blood test. If you cannot do this.... (due to the expense of retesting)...... and since B12 doesn't really accumulate in the system and because over 80% of all dogs with EPI require B12..... and because Frankie was in such rough shape... i am just making a guess here, but if you cannot afford B12 retesting at this time, then just continue to give Frankie B12 shots every 2 weeks (after the initial 1 shot a week for 6 weeks) ... until someone can retest his B12 levels.... or if after a month for no other reason, things start getting worse, then go back to weekly shots.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 24 Feb 2021, 09:32

Jeniffer I have sent you an email about enzymes

Good Luck

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 24 Feb 2021, 09:40

Jennifer,

To read stuff on the website...... while you are here on the forum..... see the "Home" word on the left side of this page..... click on it....

That will bring you to the home page of the website. When at the hope page...... you will see a row of tabs on the right side of the home page,
the one that you want at this point in time is the "Managing EPI" tab..... read all the pages here. packed with info!

Or... if you want the very abbreviated version, .... read the Managing EPI page under the EPI tab...
https://epi4dogs.com/managing-epi/

Hope this helps!
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (67.15 KiB) Viewed 2443 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 24 Feb 2021, 18:10

Jenifer, welcome to the forum. Please trust me, when I say you have come to the right place. These professional volunteers will hold your hand every step of the way, and you will get through this. I promise.

I understand your frustration of trying to help this stranger, while your own pups are jealous and feeling lonely without the usual energy they get from you. Remember, though, dogs are resilient, and they are the most forgiving creatures on the planet.

I'm glad to hear that Olesia is supporting you with some enzymes. May I ask you to message or email me your address, or can Olesia have permission to, so that I can send you some Proviable from Amazon? You will want to give 1/4 capsule contents at first, then take a few days to work up to one capsule/day. I would be honored to provide this to you.

I'd also add that the food Olesia recommended is what Tucker eats, and he tolerates it well. It is relatively economical, also available from Amazon (probably Chewy, too).

If I were a rich person, I would have you put him on a plane and make him my own. I have always wanted a German Shepherd (I have a precious shepherd mix), and Frankie sounds adorable. Thanks for what you are doing for him. Please keep in touch, and ask a ton of questions, really.----Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

jenifercasey
Pet name: Frankie
My name: Jenifer Casey

Post by jenifercasey » 26 Feb 2021, 03:51

Hi Everyone,

I finally figured out how to respond on this forum. I kept trying to respond to each of you individually but that didn't work. I had to contact Olesia who showed me how to do it. I guess there is not way to respond to you one by one, but I can respond to the whole thread. I wanted you to all know how grateful I am to have found this group. I'm tired and just finished my day, but I am feeling more hopeful than I have for weeks. I read each and every one of your responses (frustrated I couldn't respond back). Your words were so supportive and encouraging.

CallGirl thank you so much for your kind words. I know you understand because you are new to this journey as well. It is so amazing how you got your puppy to survive with so many issues. She is certainly a little fighter with a big will to live, and she is so lucky to have you. I'm so happy she is doing so much better and getting to be a puppy again. I have seen Frankie become happier as well. You are amazing yourself. 🥰

Jean from the UK, thanks so much for all the good advice. I'm finally understanding some of this, such as the low fiber and grain free. I think I've been exacerbating his issues with adding rice and chicken and fibrous foods. I'm now more aware of this. I bough grain free kibble for him. I soak it a little with warm water and then pour the enzymes over it. I didn't know you could incubate the enzymes before you mixed it into the food. I thought it had to touch all the food and then digest it in the bowl for 20-30 minutes. Someone else said I could incubate with nonfat yogurt? I also am going to call my vet about the Tylan and I'm buy some Slippery Elm powder to try. It has been very expensive. I didn't know you could give B12 shots so often. I am doing it once a week now. Would you recommend more shots or B12 supplements?

I'm so thankful to those who have reached out about getting enzymes. It's rough doing this all on my own. But he is such a good boy. He will make someone a very loving dog. I am already attached to him, but with three dogs I'm caring for now, it's a lot. I also want to be able to foster another dog, and If I keep them all, I can't save another life. I know I'm going to have a hard time saying goodbye. I love him already which is why I haven't given up. I'm so glad I found this place! I'm so sorry about your furbaby Kara. She was so lucky to have had your care and love for the time she was with you. 🙏🏼💖
PS. My brother-in-love is from England. He met my sister on a temporary position in NYC and never went back. I can't wait to visit England. :)

Olesia, thank you for talking to me tonight and for all of your help. Thank you for helping me figure out how to respond on this forum. I finally did it! I got Taste of the Wild. It's what my other dogs eat, though they eat another flavor. :) I really appreciate all the advice and explanations. This is a definite learning curve to me. I feel so much more sympathetic towards my students when they say they don't understand. I'm going to start working my way through the information. I feel like my life is working and learning about EPI. But I'll do whatever I can to help Frankie. Also, what is the best meat to add? Can I add chicken? I will also cut down on the enzymes becuse I've been giving him three teaspoons per meal, but 2-3 cups of food when I was mixing in more real food and rice. Also, can I give canned dog food mixed in of the same brand or is it better to just do the dry for now?

Pam, thank you so much! I finally figured out how to respond to this thread. I will send you an email. I just figured out how to do this. I feel like I'm learning so much already. I wish I was a rich person too! I would have a huge property and so many rescued dogs. I would keep Frankie if I could. I think he is the sweetest German Shepherd I've ever met, and mine is pretty dang sweet. Frankie just wants to love and be loved. Thank you so much for sharing how you care for Tucker and exactly what you give him.
Did you every give him any other enzymes other than Diane's enzymes? Also do you use the 6X or 8X? I read that her enzymes really work for some dogs but not all. I was wondering about your experience. I am ordering the slippery elm and more B12 vitamins. Also, can tell me how much Tucker weighs so I can under the amount of food you give and Enzymes? Also how you mix and incubate the enzymes and his food. It says on the bag that of food that for the weight he should be (He's about 17 pounds underweight at 63 pounds right now, which is up 4.5 pounds since I found him.) is 3 3/4 cups. He can literally eat that in one sitting in one minute. I have been giving him almost 2-3 cups three times a day, but this may be too much as well. Olesia said go to a little under two cups three times a day, so I'm going to reduce his amount now that I'm only giving him Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. He just is always hungry, but I have noticed he is calming down and not trying to frantically get food all the time and sleeping better through the night. How many dogs do you currently have? I will send you an email next. 😊

Thank you so much everyone. I am learning and going to take all of your advice and see how he does. I wanted to know if anyone has any stories about the difference between the B12 shots and daily B12 or both? I know I will have a lot more questions, but I'll start working my way through the Information on the home page. Thanks!!! 💖🙏🏼💖

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 26 Feb 2021, 06:15

Jenifer, I will look for your email!

At first, I used enzymes from the vet @$150.00/8 oz. I now use Diane's 6X @ $160.00/kilo, and I've never looked back. I prefer 6X because I don't have to think; 1 cup of food gets 1 teaspoon of enzymes. They are marvelous, and if you have a question you email Diane & she responds personally....hello!

Tucker started at 60 pounds, and he now weighs 80. While he was trying to gain weight, I followed forum advice & fed him 150% of what he would need at his ideal weight. So, I guess that would have been 6 cups/day, until he weighed what he should, which took a few months. The bag says he should now get about 4 cups/day, and that's what I give him now.

Here's what I do now---
a.m.---1 Wonderlabs B12 capsule, 1/4 teaspoon slippery elm, 1 proviable capsule, the tiniest bit of tylan (he used to take more), 2 teaspoons 6X enzymes...I just throw this into his ceramic bowl, place two cups of taste of the wild pacific stream kibble on top, then add about 1/3-1/2 cup of turkey bone broth at room temp, stir & let sit for 20 minutes.
p.m.---1/4 teaspoon slippery elm, 2 teaspoons enzymes, 2 cups kibble, turkey broth, stir, wait 20 minutes.

You will want to break it into 3 meals, if you can, while Frankie gains his weight. Your routine will probably be a bit different, but as long as Frankie cooperates with eating all the meds(some dogs revolt), you can also just add water instead of broth. In a pinch, I buy commercial broth, and it works fine. Tucker is not put off by things that taste bad. He eats kong toys and tennis balls, and he used to eat poop, but if Frankie is picky, you can top his food with something tasty, like parmesan cheese or sardines, to mask the taste (learned this from the forum).

Take care, Jenifer---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 26 Feb 2021, 11:41

Omigosh! I just read your post this morning and am so grateful that Frankie found you! And that you found us. What a love he is! You don't have to feel overwhelmed anymore. We all know how that feels when our pups are first diagnosed, but rescuing him the way you did takes courage and shows what a wonderful person you are. Frankie has hit the jackpot!

You have received excellent advice and suggestions so far. Just follow the step by step directions you have received and I know you will see good results. You are already seeing them. It takes time to get everything balanced and at the beginning, it seems like all you do is feed and enzyme. But once you get used to the protocol, it will get easier. EPI is totally manageable. Frankie is on his way to good health because of your generosity and if you have to find him a forever home, it will be so much easier once his treatment is under control. I can only imagine the emotions you are feeling at the thought of letting him go. But one step at a time. Who knows how this will evolve.

Once you are able to transition to Diane's enzymes, you will be able to really cut costs.

Please ask any questions you have and feel free to vent. You are doing an amazing job. Don't be discouraged. Frankie is so fortunate to have you.

Barb