Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Newbie

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Mar 2021, 12:50

Ahh ... thanks for posting a pic of Emma... she looks like she is a real sweetie.... thank you for adopting her and trying so very hard to get her feeling better...... not
only do we want the best for our pets and hope they start feeling well.... but i swear these EPI dogs just know somehow that we are doing everything we can think of to help them get better and they then tend to form an such amazing bond with their human companions !!!

REgarding the Forti Flora.... YES... i would definitely go back to using it. The great thing about using Tylan vs other antibiotics is that it does not kill all the bacteria but rather inhibits the reproduction... so yes, you can add Forti Flora back to the regimen while she is on Tylan.... BUT... remember this too has to be a "one-change-at-a-time" try..... so you might even want to hold off on the forti flora just until you start seeing the poos improving a bit..... that way, if a bacteria in the forti flora does NOT agree with Emma's digestive gut flora, you will know because the poos will start to go south again. THink of it like proofing everything......

BTW... i like Emma's funny sit.... i think it is always extra special when they have something unique about them .... and this sit is definitely a cute unique sit :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 07 Mar 2021, 13:04

Emma, what a cutie!

It helps to keep a daily journal of food and meds going in and how they affect how the poops are.

https://epi4dogs.com/epi-log/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Emma
State: Minnesota
Pet name: Emma
My name: Beth

Post by Emma » 07 Mar 2021, 13:48

I plan on trying the Sport Dog Elite but find that it is not in pet stores so will order it from Chewy. We will also have to order more of the Hydrolyzed food as well so we have enough when it comes time to start transitioning. I plan on going with enzyme Diane once we finish with the enzymes the vet gave us. Starting with lowering the enzymes first. If that goes well will start and finish up the Fortiflora, transition her food and ween her off of Tylan. And yes, I will get the log printed up. I got a game plan. Whew

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Mar 2021, 14:48

Remember, we are here to help you as best we can. DO keep us posted!
And keep a record of ALL the changes (done one at a time)..... and even take on-going poo pics to go with the written results.... sometimes a poo pic is worth a thousand words :D
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 07 Mar 2021, 15:44

A warm welcome to you and Emma. She is a darling.

I chuckled when you said that your vet recommended twice as much enzymes as we would suggest to start her on. When Kolby was diagnosed many years ago, our vet (who turned out to be a real student of EPI), told us to definitely give him a good jump start on the enzymes .He recommended 2-3 teaspoons per cup. Of course, Kolby immediately got diarrhea instead of the cow plops he was having. Luckily, I had just found this Forum and I remember asking what I was doing wrong that Kolby was getting worse. Olesia, in her most diplomatic way, wrote back that maybe our vet, in his enthusiasm to help Kolby, was was a "tad" too generous in his recommendation. We bumped the dose back to 1 tsp per cup and things improved immensely. More isn't always best.

The beginning stage is always the hardest because you are trying to absorb all of this information at once while you are still worrying about your pup. It will get easier as you get more comfortable with the protocol and start to get everything balanced. You are off to a good start with everyone's good advice. Don't hesitate to ask questions. I, too heartily recommend keeping a log/journal as others have suggested. It helped us keep our sanity.

Barb

Emma

Post by Emma » 09 Mar 2021, 10:26

Today is day three lowering the enzymes to 1 tsp per cup of food. She is getting 3.5 cups a day spread out into 4 feedings. I am going to attach a picture of a poo she did last night. Have not seen any this morning yet. At least it’s not a seven! Ordered Wonderlabs and it has shipped. New food has also been ordered. My question is because we do have a slight change in her poos, should I start her on the Fortiflora? If yes, start out a half a package once a day to see how that goes? We have not taken her back in to be weighed yet but plan on one this week. I’m looking at her I think she may have put on some weight but my family thinks I am seeing things.
Attachments
C375326F-D3CA-4C66-98AA-F0ED5AEB903B.jpeg
C375326F-D3CA-4C66-98AA-F0ED5AEB903B.jpeg (2.69 MiB) Viewed 2394 times

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Mar 2021, 11:57

so... this is improved poos... on less enzymes???????????

Emma

Post by Emma » 09 Mar 2021, 12:08

Unfortunately yes. So what do I do now?

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Mar 2021, 12:15

amazing.... so the poo on overloaded enzymes must have been REALLY bad .... geesh!
I just responded what to try next..... because we are in the "trial and error" phase... make sure you are keeping a journal AND attaching pictures like what you just posted will be REALLY helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!

And keep sharing with us what you are doing and the results..... this is how we help folks find the right balance of the EPI protocol for their special EPI pup :)

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Mar 2021, 12:18

Okay... the picture helps.... a LOT!!!!! can you try a change in foods now? Going by just by the picture.... it is possible that this food might be part of the problem.... even though it is a hydrolyzed food.... the reason why i am wondering "if" the food might also be a part of the problem is because you mentioned that it was hydrolyzed VEGETABLE food.... and now that i am seeing a poop pic i am wondering if the veggie part is not helping..... many of our dogs have issues with too many carbs.... although i do understand why your vet tried this if they initially thought you could have been dealing with a food sensitivity.
Based on this..... my next suggestion (while you wait on the B12 etc to come in).... is just go to a store and buy the smallest bag possible of Taste of the Wild- -first try the pacific stream version...... start with 25% TOTW food and 75% your current food (day 1) then try 50-50% (day2).... LET US KNOW IF THIS IS HELPING OR MAKING THINGS WORST POO-WISE! if improving, then do 75% TOTW and 25% current food (day3)....

Poo is not yet there in improvement with your current "trials" to introduce Forti FLora.... just wait a tiny bit more...