Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Emma
State: Minnesota
Pet name: Emma
My name: Beth

Re: Newbie

Post by Emma » 11 Mar 2021, 15:02

As I said, we started the new food yesterday afternoon and will continue to transition. Went out in the backyard this morning on poop patrol, came across one not so good, number 6 and another number 3! Of course my husband picked it up before I could grab a picture. He won’t do that again. We had her weighed today. She was diagnosed on March 4 (it’s only been a week, seems like months ago) and weighed 35.4 pounds down from her initial 42. Today she came in at 36.2. Not a huge gain but I’ll take it. It sure does not seem like she had a huge weight loss but it sure did show on her. She has never had much fat on her but that loss was scary on her appearance. Tomorrow the phone will go out with me to capture what she leaves.

Emma

Post by Emma » 11 Mar 2021, 19:21

I hope I have good news here. Went out on poo patrol again and there were two out there. One of them was darn near perfect, well not completely perfect but I’ll take it as a huge positive in my eyes and the other a little less. I am not used to seeing such dark poos but since the new food being so dark I am not surprised. Yes adding the pics. I could cry. She hasn’t had anything remotely close to normal since before Christmas ! Thank you, thank you. But I know not to let my guard down but today is a good day.
Attachments
F0FC7EBF-929D-4FAF-8A3C-C2B0DF94A1FC.jpeg
F0FC7EBF-929D-4FAF-8A3C-C2B0DF94A1FC.jpeg (2.85 MiB) Viewed 2646 times
97BCCA99-EC1F-4487-A59F-1129E849814C.jpeg
97BCCA99-EC1F-4487-A59F-1129E849814C.jpeg (2.08 MiB) Viewed 2646 times

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 11 Mar 2021, 20:00

The dark color was the other thing I liked about SDog, because I could find it easily if I wasn't outside when Tucker pooped. I think those are some purdy turdies! The weight gain is encouraging, too. Is 42 what she should weigh?
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Emma

Post by Emma » 11 Mar 2021, 20:22

The past few years she has toggled between 40 and 42 pounds. Winter 42, less active simply because nobody wants to play out in the MN winters and closer to 40 in the summer when she is running her little heart out.

Emma

Post by Emma » 12 Mar 2021, 14:26

:D received the Wonderlabs B12 today. I have seen where some sprinkle it on the food and see that others just put the capsule directly in the food. What do we recommend. No pictures of poo today as they are the same as yesterday. Still transitioning her food and are currently on 50/50 old and new. I am also really seeing a boost of energy in her the last few days! Thank you for giving me my dog back. One last thing for today, do we have any recommendations if I should be starting the probiotic? I was told to hold off for awhile. When should I consider tapering off the Tylan? Guess that was more than one question.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 12 Mar 2021, 15:04

Those poos just keep getting better and better. You must be doing the happy poop dance! I'm so glad to read the great update.

I think it is your choice about the Wonderlabs pill. I used to just pill Kolby because he was so good about taking pills .....and not so good about tasting things sprinkled on his food. But lots of people just open the capsules and sprinkle and their dogs do fine with the food.

Barb

Emma

Post by Emma » 13 Mar 2021, 07:21

NEW TOPIC Today will be Emma’s last last day of food transitioning and she is tolerating it well. Started B12 yesterday. The past few days she has started belching and belching a lot. No regurgitation but certainly sounds like she could at times. Is this something I need to worry about?

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Mar 2021, 12:54

WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!sounds like great progress overall.

As mentioned, it is your choice how you give the B12 ... i personally used to give it whole tucked in some cream cheese (thats how i gave all my dog pills..)

Regarding the burping... i have a couple of thoughts on this.

1. My first thought is that the Sport food is pretty high in calories.... so maybe feed smaller portions but add another meal to include all the food for the day (with enzymes of course)
2. The next thing to try, would be adding a little SLippery ELm powder.... in case this is SID brewing, or a bile acid issue (EPI dogs have an issue with secondary bile acid functionality)..... and before reaching for drugs/ chemicals.... sometimes SLippery ELm takes care of things.
https://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=K97024 .... feel free to use the 20% discount " Epi4Dogs15 "
3. if the above doesn't work....and if the burping continues or gets worse....THEN talk to your vet about using Omeprazole.
4. However, if the poos start getting sloppy, light colored, has mucus on it, or vomiting........ and if these other symptoms happen more than just once or twice in addition to the burping......... THEN we are most likely dealing with SID getting out of control... in which case, first line of defense is SLippery ELm, which you would have already tried. Second line of defense is pre+probiotics, and if that fails THEN we suggest TYlan.

Hope these guidelines help

Keep us posted and... you are doing a great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 14 Mar 2021, 11:32

Doing the Happy Poop dance in TN for you! Boy that second picture is a PERFECT POOP!! Like the others said, with the B12 it's just a matter of if your dog is good with taking pills - I just plop mine on the food and he gobbles it up. Remember as you try suggestions in dealing with the burping - make only one change at a time and wait a week to see how the change affects things.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Emma

Post by Emma » 14 Mar 2021, 14:32

Two more good poos today. Yes am doing the happy dance. She is getting four feedings a day and am alternating a cup of food, next feeing 1/2 and so on. No burping today! I need to know how or if I should start weaning her off the Tylan. She has basically been on it since the end of December.