Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Emma
State: Minnesota
Pet name: Emma
My name: Beth

Re: Newbie

Post by Emma » 16 Mar 2021, 16:48

Is there a special way to wean Emma off of Tylan? As I mentioned before, she has been on it since December when this all started.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Mar 2021, 19:36

Yes, there is a way to do it, but Tylan is recommended for twice a day for 45 days.....and then some find it works better if you slowly withdrawn from the Tylan.. HOWEVER....that being said...... Emma's poos have not been consistently good for any amount of time, so IMHO, i think it might be a wee bit too soon to start taking her off Tylan. Maybe wait another week or two......and then withdraw her from the Tylan.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Emma

Post by Emma » 16 Mar 2021, 20:13

Will do thank you.

Emma

Post by Emma » 18 Mar 2021, 18:52

New topic, heart worm medication and immunizations. We have Emma’s monthly heart worm medication. How does one administer that? Do you feed her then give her the chew immediately afterwards since she has already had the enzymes. We had already purchased it prior to diagnosis to start in April. She is also due for her rabies early summer. Will this be a problem?

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 19 Mar 2021, 18:42

Hi Beth,

Kolby happened to like the Heartworm meds, so I just put it in the bowl right before he ate and he gobbled it down with his food. If you have a picky eater, you just want to make sure she gets all of the pill and doesn't leave any in the bowl.

You can also administer it like you are doing, right after she eats.

For the yearly check-ups, instead of vaccines, I had Kolby titred (a blood test) which showed whether he still had immunity. If he did we didn't have to vaccinate him. EXCEPt for the Rabies vaccine which is required by the state of New Jersey. However, you can get a medical exclusion if you apply for it. We always had him get the Rabies shot and there were no problems.

Barb

Emma

Post by Emma » 19 Mar 2021, 18:50

Thanks Barb, Emma loves the chews so this won’t be a problem. I’ll have to check on the Bordetella since she had a reaction to the last one.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 19 Mar 2021, 20:00

I too gave my EPI gal her meds right after her meal :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 20 Mar 2021, 10:48

I give Doc his heartworm meds in his meal - he will eat anything I put in his bowl LOL LOL. I too titer test him for his shots. I no longer give either of my dogs rabies shots - my EPI boy gets fistulas in his paws - my vet agreed to give me a medical waiver over the phone but then when I went to get it refused - my dogs are never around other dogs.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Emma

Post by Emma » 22 Mar 2021, 18:16

Slippery Elm. I went ahead and ordered the slippery elm. Last we weighed Emma she weighed 36 lbs. Is something that I should be giving her. She does belch quite a bit. I am not all that familiar with this and as always am heading right to you all to teach me. Her poos continue to be really, REALLY good, perfect! Keeping her on 3 cups of All Sport food divided up into 4 feedings a day.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 22 Mar 2021, 20:25

If she's belching you could try the slippery elm and see if it helps - just watch the poop to make sure it agrees. Here is a link to the dosing https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/. If you don't notice any change in the belching then you might ask your vet about using Omeprazole (acid reducer).
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.