Weimy Pup

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Weimy Pup

Post by Jean » 19 Mar 2021, 08:19

she is beautiful My Kara was a joy , totally crazy, loved people and kids, but not many dogs

the fish smell is often connected to Anal Gland

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/healt ... like-fish/

I had to have my dogs all three of them, anal gland removal, they stank, and we had to have them to the vet every month to have them secreted, and that was stressful

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 19 Mar 2021, 17:24

Hi Aimee,

A warm welcome to you and Franki. She is adorable!

You've received excellent advice already, but I wanted to welcome you both. The beginning stage is the hardest as you try to get everything balanced while you are worrying about your pup. Try not to get too overwhelmed. I know that is easier said than done. We have all been there and remember what it is like.

Keep the journal going and ask any questions you have.

Hang in there.

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 20 Mar 2021, 10:50

Aimee I totally understand the work issues and trying to feed extra meals. As long as the meal is about 2hrs apart you can give another one - for example when Doc was diagnosed I was having to feed 4x a day (he's a BIG boy LOL) - I had to get up earlier than usual and feed his first meal at 4:30am, then another at 6:30am before I left for work and then I would feed him at 6:30pm (right when I got home) and again at 8:30pm (right before bed).
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

WeimyPup

Post by WeimyPup » 31 Mar 2021, 03:05

Hi all, just a really quick update, I spent some time on the phone with her vet. He's advised her epi # was 1.2, so super low.

They never tested b12 but we'll test in a month. I've ordered supplements anyhow. And if she needs an injection we'll do that.

Her weight is improving. The pineapple didn't work, it's gross, I think she liked it and started gobbling her own poop, gah! But we're managing 4 meals a day and it seems to be helping.

Thanks again for the advice, I feel like we're back on track!

Hopefully you and your pups are all doing well!

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 31 Mar 2021, 18:29

This is a great update! I'm glad you've gone ahead & ordered some B12.

Tucker's M/O always was eating his own poo...and his siblings...well, he ate anything that didn't move, honestly. For awhile, way before diagnosis, I did some crazy things. Instead of picking up the piles, I would go around & sprinkle cayenne pepper on them all, in hopes he would take a bite & hate it. I really did watch my dogs poo, then grabbed a can of cayenne & walked around my yard shaking pepper on top of the piles, and I don't believe it phased him at all. Thankfully, we have a privacy fence. The things we do for love. ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 01 Apr 2021, 20:59

Glad to hear things are going well with the extra meals and I'm really glad you ordered the B12 supplements. Hopefully once you start getting the B12 levels up it will help deter the poo eating. Are the poops normal poops now? If not then it's likely the lack of B12 and possibly SID and you may need to run a course of Tylan antibiotics.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.