Phoebe, Chronic Pancreatitis and Voracious/Starving

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Cranberry21
Pet name: Phoebe
My name: Debra

Re: Phoebe, Chronic Pancreatitis and Voracious/Starving

Post by Cranberry21 » 22 Jul 2021, 00:33

Hello Olesia,
I want to thank you, Jill, and others whose names escape me for your generosity, as you all tried to help me with Phoebe's chronic pancreatitis.

On 6/16/21 Phoebe died peacefully in my lap, with the help of an amazing visiting vet and vet tech, in Phoebe's backyard, on a beautiful late afternoon. For 4-5 nights before the 16th she slept on my chest, her nose on my nose. I spent every moment I could with her during the days before the 16th.

Her appetite had started to wane in the few days before, and that day in the early afternoon she began having what I suspected were small seizures (the vet confirmed this). I did all I could for her, all I knew how, all anyone seemed to know how. And there was just this one more thing to do, so I did that too. We were fortunate that the vet and tech could come in less than two hours.

They carried Phoebe away as if she was the most special dog in town. Which she was for me.

I’m not much for ideas about how any dog has lived long enough. And don’t personally know one thing or the other about a Rainbow Bridge. I only know that I wake and look to see if she’s on my belly still, only to find her blanket. Then I smell her again. As a great friend of mine said of her, “Perfection lasts forever."

Thanks to all for the goodness of your support,
Debra

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 22 Jul 2021, 10:13

Debra, I am so sorry to read you lost Phoebe. That is heartbreaking. God speed Phoebe. Debra you are the best dog mom and it was good you had each other.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Cranberry21

Post by Cranberry21 » 22 Jul 2021, 11:35

Hi Jill,
Thank you. You were so kind and had so many suggestions for us. I truly appreciate all your help.

Best to you,
Debra

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Jul 2021, 15:08

Oh Debra, i am so sorry to hear of Phoebe's passing...... you must be devastated, but at the same time at peace, knowing you did everything you could to make her as comfortable as possible before her time to leave came.

If you would like, we would be honored to place Phoebe's story/tribute along with some of your favorite pictures of her on the Epi4Dogs Memorial page. Some people find it cathartic to write a tribute to their best friend. If this is something you'd like to do in Phoebe's honor, just email to me (olesia.kennedy@gmail.con) your tribute to her with some of your favorite pictures, and i will upload it here: https://epi4dogs.com/memorials/

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this — the last battle — can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close — we two — these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Author Unknown
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 22 Jul 2021, 20:33

Debra, I am so, so sorry. Phoebe was a good girl, and she clearly had a wonderful time, being your dog. One thing I have gotten from a children's book I always give when a friend loses their dog is this---that sometimes an angel will bring the dog back to her home & let her sniff around and check on her family. Maybe she visits that blanket while you are asleep. Take Care.--Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 22 Jul 2021, 20:47

Debra, I am so sorry that you had to say goodbye to Phoebe. You took such loving care of her.

It is such a privilege to be able to spend those last days and moments with our dogs. It is a profound experience. I am so glad you had caring people around you to support you. I have found that the experience stays with you forever. But it changes ........the emptiness that you feel becomes the space that allows the Light to shine through.

You are her gift forever, and she is yours.

Hugs.

Barb

Cranberry21

Post by Cranberry21 » 04 Sep 2021, 01:10

Thank you all for your kind words for me and about my little Phoebe. I’m profoundly grateful for every suggestion and bit of advice you shared with me. Some did help then. And it all helps now.

I didn’t mean to disappear again, but as too many people all over the world can imagine (unfortunately from similar experiences) my elderly mother was hospitalized with Covid-19. The last 5 weeks are a new blur for the year. She has some how survived so far but there are many strange aspects to this.

I have some opened and barely touched enzymes. Does anyone have a recommendation for where I might donate them (if that’s even possible)?

With gratitude, Debra C.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 04 Sep 2021, 16:57

Debra, I am so sorry your mom has been ill with COVID. You are certainly having a string of life challenges. Sending light and love, which you actually already have and are. I hope your mom continues to heal and improve.

If you get in touch with Enzyme Diane through our website, she can tell you where to send the enzymes..

Know that we are thinking of you.

Barb

Cranberry21

Post by Cranberry21 » 26 Sep 2021, 00:27

Thank you Barb <3

Debra
Attachments
image.png
image.png (627 Bytes) Viewed 1601 times

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 26 Sep 2021, 12:53

Hi Debra
I am so sorry to hear about your Mom but she sounds strong and family behind her. Good thoughts and prayers coming your way.
I will get in touch with Diane and see about your enzymes. Thanks

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.