Tucker's Results Are In!!!!!!!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: Tucker's Results Are In!!!!!!!

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 27 Mar 2021, 18:46

Friends, this is Tucker, but I can't figure out how to make it small enough to be my avatar. It's nice to have a picture, when you're talking about someone.
Attachments
IMG_1639.jpeg
IMG_1639.jpeg (3.52 MiB) Viewed 2759 times
IMG_1639.jpeg
IMG_1639.jpeg (3.52 MiB) Viewed 2759 times
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 27 Mar 2021, 20:03

Pam, Tucker is stunningly handsome! That is a great picture.

Glad you finally got results. You now know for sure. But really, you already knew. It's funny how we know things before they actually present themselves. When Kolby was little, I kept thinking there was something unusual about his shape. but I couldn't put my finger on what it was. Of course, once we had him tested, it all made sense. But really, I was sensing it all along without having a name for it.

Tucker looks great. You are doing a fantastic job with him.

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 28 Mar 2021, 11:04

Awwww what a handsome boy - reminds me of Scooby :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 28 Mar 2021, 19:42

Thanks, Barb & Madelon. He's my big baby, for sure!--Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 29 Mar 2021, 13:27

HI Pam...

WHOA........Tucker is one VERY handsome Pup!!! What an absolute cutie!!!

And thank-goodness... we now know for sure that Tucker does have EPI and you can go forward and treat accordingly, and make adjustments as needed.

The too many/large poos...... usually means that the food is not optimal... and it can mean that there is some itty bitty ingredient in the foods that you have been trying that is not agreeing with him.
Make a chart of all the foods you have tried and list the individual ingredients.... see if there is a repeat of certain ingredients in the foods you tried that produced when the stools were the most crappy (excuse the pun :lol: :)

And i agree with Madelon.... maybe the next food to try would be the Sport Elite/grain free.

Also... the B12 issue.... i do think that 2 capsules could have been too much for Tucker's systems and that might be why he had looser stools on 2. HOWEVER..... knowing that his B12 was in the 600s when you were giving him 2 kind of indicates to me that it is hard for his body to maintain his B12 ..... and yes you did the right thing by withholding B12 capsules for 1 week prior to having the blood tested..... although the body gets rid of any excess B12 if it doesn't need it... it does store it for a short time and this is why it is important to stop oral B12 for 1 week prior to testing and stop injectible 1 month prior to testing. ... or else you will get a false reading of what the actual B12 level is in the dogs body. ..

SOOOOoooooooooooooo...... what i would do with the B12 is for 1 week give the oral B12 every other day.... record the poo results.... and then starting the next week give the oral B12 once a day and again..... record the poo results.
If the poos go south again..... talk to your vet about having him sell you a vial of B12 serum and teaching you how to inject Tucker with B12 serum at home on a weekly basis.... again.... watch the poo output.... and if both of these give the same reaction....... THEN you might need to try a 3rd type of B12 called Hydroxocobalamin (it is used for people).....
Please keep me posted on this! It may take some time, but we will figure it out...
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 29 Mar 2021, 19:15

Olesia---Thank you so much. You always give such complete answers! I will tweak the B12, and I have sport dog elite on order. I'll keep y'all posted!---Pam

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 29 Mar 2021, 20:06

Pam, just want to also say... thank you for being so diligent with Tucker.... glad you got him properly tested and now we know what we have to work with.....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 05 May 2021, 16:35

Madelon--I tried to just send a message through the Contact page, but I couldn't figure out how to submit the form.

I decided to try Dr. Mercola's Spot On, and I was wondering what you give Doc for heartworm prevention? I hope you see this. Thanks so much---Pam

Kohlesmomma
State: South Carolina
Pet name: Kohle
My name: Kellie

Post by Kohlesmomma » 09 May 2021, 09:13

Oh my goodness Pam, Tucker is a cutie!...just an f.y.i- kohle poops 3-4 times daily and I feel it's too volumous and eats sport elite. I think he poops too much for the amount he eats. At any rate, his poop looks pretty good , just more than a normal dog. I started giving him only 1 b12 daily, and this seems about after a week, things are changing for the better. I know every dog responds differently, but Mr. Kohle is now 89lbs so I just don't worry so much any more with the # of times he goes if everything else looks good. It sounds lije Tucker has good momma! Happy Mothers Day!

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 09 May 2021, 13:23

Hi Kellie! Happy Mother's Day!

Tucker's poo looks good (still a lot), but it is a little soft, even on the herding dogs recipe, so I just don't know.

Soooo glad to hear Kohle is doing well! Take Care --- Pam