Hulk

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
gibsgoinpro
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Hulk
My name: Shawn

Hulk

Post by gibsgoinpro » 29 Mar 2021, 21:00

Hulk is around 12 or older chihuahua/jack russel. My grandma would feed him scraps some. He started peeing all the time and pooping seeming like he could not control. Thirsty hungry all the time. Really thin bones out. Vet diagnosed diabetes. Prescrib no carb kibble and insulin shots. Grandma has done what told for months but same symptoms. She took to vet other day and was told change insulin but no help. I see same symptoms as EPI. Grandma is leery of spending tons at vet bad experiences. I ordered Enzymes from Diane. I know u aren’t Vets but best education is experience. I would really like you guys advice to relay to my grandma. I am wondering if the insulin is making him even more hurt causing hunger. And my hope that enzymes start gaining weight and could change to kibble with some rice??

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Re: Hulk

Post by Montgomery » 30 Mar 2021, 11:11

Giving insulin if the animal doesn't need insulin isn't a good thing. Maybe you need a second opinion from a different veterinarian?
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

gibsgoinpro

Post by gibsgoinpro » 30 Mar 2021, 14:04

I have no idea if he needs it or not. I know my grandma is stressed and this is what sucks is all the different things and trusting vets who are no better than anyone educated on any site such as this. She’s had bad experience with vets and so much money. I just thought enzymes could be a good shot not tons of money. His poo is solid my grandma said. But he’s only eating protein kibble no carbs.

How do u find if insulin is needed for certain? Could it be making him hungrier like low blood sugar makes people extremely hungry and anxious?

Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Post by Jane&Clyde » 30 Mar 2021, 14:34

Diabetes is relatively easy for a vet to diagnose, so it is unlikely that the vet got the diagnosis wrong. Plus, the symptoms sound exactly like diabetes. Increased thirst (and peeing) and weight loss in spite of increased hunger are two of the most common ways that diabetes shows itself in dogs. If the poos are solid, it does not sound like EPI.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Mar 2021, 20:18

i agree, if the vet diagnosed your dog as having Diabetes, then it most likely does have diabetes and requires the insulin.

A no carb or law carb food is usually very good to give a diabetic dog.

Are you thinking that the dog has EPI because it is skinny? not gaining weight? This happens with some diabetic dogs..... My dog had EPI and Diabetes... and i struggled with keeping her Diabetes under good control and yet making sure she did not lose any more weight.

The problem can be that the insulin type or the insulin dose is not correct..... this is not an easy thing to figure out with a diabetic dog.... the problem is that over time, even if you start off giving the right amount of insulin, as time passes, the dog may need more insulin or a different type.

The enzymes if given, and especially since the dog is an older dog, giving a tiny bit of the enzymes mixed in with wet food might help and if given on a temporary basis.... but unless the dog is diagnosed as an EPI dog, you really don't want to give a full dose of enzymes long term if the dog does not have EPI.

Of course something else might be going on... or it could be nothing else just that the insulin needs adjusting.
What you can do to help your grandmother out, is go to this website specifically for diabetic dogs (IMHO, this is the best dog diabetes website out there, i know it helped me tremendously!)
http://www.k9diabetes.com/
.... and maybe you can read and then help your grandmother with the dog's diabetes condition.

FYI... you do not have to join, just click on the links and read :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

gibsgoinpro

Post by gibsgoinpro » 02 Apr 2021, 19:59

Thank u guys for replying. Yes I figured that it could be EPI because of him being so skinny. And symptoms of being hungry thirsty and peeing. It was so hurtful seeing my other dog I was so attached to have it. I tried so hard. I also thought since grandma is treating but he’s still hurting. I wonder if she is feeding enough. She can be very frugal. I asked her please give him more food than he can eat. I thought enzymes may be most affordable way to see if something can help.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Apr 2021, 23:11

This can all be Diabetes and not Diabetes & EPI.... the reason why i am suggesting this possibility is because many dogs with Diabetes have trouble keeping weight on.... it can be a very hard condition to manage.

If you can just help your grandma with the treatment/guidance... i am sure that would be a great help to her...or.... see if there is a vet tech that you can have check in with your grandma and the dog to just see if things are being fairly well managed.........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........