Serious Doggie Body Odor—HELP!!!!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
smartblonde612
State: Oregon
Pet name: Jamie
My name: Vicki

Serious Doggie Body Odor—HELP!!!!

Post by smartblonde612 » 01 Apr 2021, 02:59

Our 7 year old Cavalier, Jamie was diagnosed in early February. We have gotten his food, enzyme powder and other medications sorted out and he has been doing well. He has gained some weight back and is having 2 normal poops per day. The one thing we have not been able to conquer is his terrible body odor which seems to emanate from his head. Sometimes, it's so bad, it could make your eyes water! It's like a combination of dirty feet, mildew and vinegar. At our vet's suggestion, I started washing his head, neck and ears with warm water and a few drops of Dawn dish washing liquid because Dawn has anti bacterial properties. This works for a short time, then the smell is back with a vengeance.
I have Fabreze Plug-ins all over my house and I have to spray my upholstered furniture every few days which can't be good.
I saw that there was a survey done on the odor problem in 2013. Did the doctor ever publish his research findings or make any treatment recommendations? I have considered writing to him directly but thought I'd ask here first.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I want to be able to cuddle my little fur baby without gagging!
Vicki

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: Serious Doggie Body Odor—HELP!!!!

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 01 Apr 2021, 14:07

Vickie, a lot of people do report similar symptoms. Tucker kind of has it; I think dirty sneakers is the closest description, and it may have gotten better since I started him on proviable & slippery elm. Pro-and prebiotics. I have a pretty keen sense of smell, but it sounds like yours tops mine. Don't get me started on my Maltese's breath, like it is coming out of the wrong end. Check back, and you'll get some additional advice from others. Hang in there---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 01 Apr 2021, 20:27

Montgomery's odour went away when I put him on Enzyme Diane. The Pank-Aid was the culprit in his case.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 01 Apr 2021, 20:36

Hi Vickie! Lots of EPI owners have reported a bad odor when starting EPI treatment but it usually goes away in some time. The researchers believe it is the rotten food in the gut - putrefaction.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Shirl D.
Staff
State: New York

Post by Shirl D. » 02 Apr 2021, 07:52

Oh, yes....that stench is awful! Back in 2013, we actually did an odor study survey. The results are on this page of our website: https://epi4dogs.com/epi-odor-study/
If you look through it, you'll see that no one thing seemed to help all dogs, but there is a list of things that people changed that seemed to help their dogs. I figured I'd mention it so you can take a look. You might be able to try a few things and see if anything helps.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Apr 2021, 10:33

thanks Shirl for mentioning the study...... many of the techniques that folks tried really did help subside the stinky smell although it may not have gotten rid of the stench completely.... but..... anything helps!!!!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........