B12

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

B12

Post by Montgomery » 10 Apr 2021, 11:49

I admit it. I was wasting time on YouTube last night and came across a video about a womyn who became deathly ill from eating week-old gas station sushi. This took months. It turned out she had a huge tape worm that was sapping her of nutrients - notably B12. Apparently, if you don't get enough B12 you can wind up with nerve damage, which got me thinking. All those years nobody thought to give Montgomery a B12 supplement despite the chronic diarrhea...Could this be why he has such difficulty actually going to the bathroom now that its not just a spectator sport? It was a light bulb moment, and I'm wondering what you all think.
On the lighter side, if you'd like a laugh this Saturday morning, I woke up at five to five because something was shuffling around in my bedroom. Shuffling and crinkling. I turned on the light to see Montgomery wearing the paper bag he had been ripping up the night before like a toga.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: B12

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Apr 2021, 15:03

Oh dear, as a cat with EPI, they almost always have to be supplemented with B12. Do you mean to say that Togo-Touting Montgomery is not on any B12? :shock:
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 10 Apr 2021, 15:21

When he was diagnosed, the veterinarian put him on B12 injections, and he was on them until his stool was consistently formed, then we weaned him off. So, currently he is not supplemented with B12 unless he's being picky and needs nutritional yeast on his cat food...
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Apr 2021, 16:33

Ahh..y understanding is that the b13 should not have been stopp but rather once an appropriate b12 level was reached instead of stopping the b12 completely.. he should then be on a maintenance dose going forward....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 10 Apr 2021, 16:35

I'll have to have a chat with his veterinarian if I can pin her down. He went four years almost to the day before he was diagnosed and nobody ever mentioned B12.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Apr 2021, 22:39

uh-oh.... that's not good.......................... definitely talk to your vet!
And keep us psoted!

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 10 Apr 2021, 23:21

Is B12 something I can get over the counter for him or does it have to be prescription? I'm getting so frustrated with his veterinarian because she doesn't seem to give a straw anymore. Last time he was in the clinic for his vaccinations I asked about his feet and she just sort of shrugged, said wash them, and didn't respond when I told her that wasn't working, for instance.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 14 Apr 2021, 17:12

Hi V,

so sorry i'm so late responding to your question. Here in the USA you can get B12 online... a cat only needs about 400mg if you give an oral... and if it is in a powder, pellets, you can just sprinkle it on the food. Typically we recommend WOnderlabs Pet Factor B12 because it has the intrinsic factor in it , along with Folate, and tends to often work better then other over the counter oral B12 products.

WIth regards to getting B12 serum as an injectable..... i honestly don't know what the laws are in Canada, if you need a prescription or not........

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 15 Apr 2021, 23:32

Thanks Olesia. I'll look into Wonderlabs and see if its a viable option. He's doing SO well. If this might help him, I want to give it a shot.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 17 Apr 2021, 12:36

Hi V! I'm so sorry your vet is not helpful - is there another vet you can switch to? I hope you're able to get the B12 - it's so important in managing EPI. Keep us posted.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.