Weight gain

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Nainbud
Pet name: Buddy
My name: Naina

Weight gain

Post by Nainbud » 11 Apr 2021, 15:46

Hi all
Hope you and your fur babies are doing well!

I wish to know how lomg would it take for an Epi dog to gain weight. My buddy has been having almost consistent stools but I have noticed the weight gain has been real slow. She is on home cooked meals and the fact that spring season has started has lead to a lot of shedding of her coat. I hate seeing her ribs. Her poops are almost similar to any normal dogs but the body still needs to gain back muscle.is there anything else that I can do?
Thanks a bunch
Buddy diagnosed on July 8,2020.
Currently on Pancreatic lipase 1000: 1.5 capsule for each meal.
Broth of chicken potato pumpkin supplemented with 2 eggs, banana(1/2 per day) n curd n multivitamins, each meal has atleast 350gms food n 300gms of water. She is currently at 21kgs which was her original weight. she is an active dog who loves to play.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Weight gain

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Apr 2021, 16:54

Hi Naina, is Buddy on any B12 supplement? You could try adding another enzymed meal sometime during the day or before bed.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 11 Apr 2021, 21:30

It all depends on the individual EPI dog how long it takes them to gain back all their weight..... the range can be anywhere from a few months to a few years!!!

Jill gave you a great suggestion, adding another small daily meal helps.... are you feeding your EPI dog 150% of what it normally would require? This is what we suggest in the beginning...only until the dog regains most or all of it's weigh, and then you can go back to normal amounts of food.

The other thing you can try is give cold pressed / organic coconut oil.... start with 1/2 tsp breakfast and dinner.... and watch the poos.... make sure the poos don't go "soft".
If all goes well for a few days, then increase the coconut oil to 1 tsp breakfast and dinner.....

THis is a nice healthy MCT fat to give EPI dogs and they usually digest it very well... and it also helps with dry skin :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Nainbud

Post by Nainbud » 12 Apr 2021, 15:51

Thank you so much Jill
I wouldn't be able to add another meal. Yes she has b12 syrup twice a day other than the weekly dose of injection.

Thank you so much Olesia . I have ordered cold pressed coconut oil. Will start it probably next week. Keeping my fingers crossed. Luckily she is extremely active n playful that helps me wonder that I'm worrying a lil too much. She runs unlike any other dog so that's a big plus which indicates that she is doing well
Broth of chicken potato pumpkin supplemented with 2 eggs, banana(1/2 per day) n curd n multivitamins, each meal has atleast 350gms food n 300gms of water. She is currently at 21kgs which was her original weight. she is an active dog who loves to play.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Apr 2021, 20:52

if the attitude is happy.... that is always good .... but ..... it is also good to stay ahead of possible problems too ... so if you want to try and increase the weight a bit.... a healthy fat is one way to go, another thing to try when feeding is give a higher percentage of protein.... sometimes that helps too!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 13 Apr 2021, 20:16

Hi Naina,

I wrote you a response last night, but evidently, it didn't post.....

Our Kolby was a very slow gainer. It took him over a year to get to his target weight. But it was slow and sure. Sometimes, he would only gain a pound in two months. But we were happy because he wasn't losing. Other dogs we knew were gaining all their weight back in a few months. So again, each dog is different in how they respond to treatment. As Olesia and Jill suggested, there are different ways to add calories to your pup's diet. Let us know how she does with the ways you choose.

Barb

Nainbud

Post by Nainbud » 14 Apr 2021, 16:10

Hi Olesia
Thank you so much for your suggestions.
I have been giving her 400gms of chicken per day along with the veggies n 2 egg whites . Do you think some more can be added.
Also as suggested by you I have started with cold pressed coconut oil too. Yes she is a happy n playful dog who runs really fast n plays a lot.

Thank you so much barb. She had been gaining weight very gradually but in the spring now the hairfall has been a lot which has started showing her ribs. I am yet to recheck her weight

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 14 Apr 2021, 16:54

Hi....I am wondering.......is there a specific reason as to why you just give egg whites without the yolk? The reason why i am questioning this is because i have always ben told to never give just egg whites since it can lead to a biotin deficiency....., but rather give the whole egg. I always give my dogs fresh whole eggs raw... but i do know that lots of vets suggest giving boiled eggs instead of raw.

Nainbud

Post by Nainbud » 15 Apr 2021, 14:03

Hi Olesia
I started giving her boiled egg whites due to the fact that egg yolk contains fat.
I didn't really know how well epi dogs can digest the yolk.
Do you recommend giving the entire boiled egg??

Nainbud

Post by Nainbud » 15 Apr 2021, 14:05

Also I have no help from our local vet. I just put my problems either here on the forum or with our indian epi group.
The diet I started for her was recommended by our Indian members. I initially just gave the broth but slowly started adding eggs,banana,curd n lil low fat digestible pedigree.