Weight gain

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: Weight gain

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 15 Apr 2021, 14:15

Naina, Hi, it's Pam in Florida. So, EPI dogs don't usually have to restrict their fat intake. I'd go with Olesia's advice, and give him the entire egg. He will love it, and it will be much more filling. Also, the veggies---We are supposed to restrict the amount of fiber our dogs get, because it interferes with the absorption of the enzymes. Try & make sure you aren't giving too many veggies. I wonder if these two factors might speed up Buddy's weight gain.

You are doing an amazing job!----Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Nainbud
Pet name: Buddy
My name: Naina

Post by Nainbud » 16 Apr 2021, 09:29

Thank you so much Pam for the help.
I will start her with a full egg in a week's time.
I have started with the coconut oil 1/4tsp once a day. She had been having perfect poops prior to it. Since last 2 days she has been having perfect poop almost but once she has a mustard poop of cat 4. Il review it for a week. If they go back to being perfect then I'll continue the coconut oil if not then I believe I will have to avoid it.
Any suggestion from you all is so much welcomed!
Buddy diagnosed on July 8,2020.
Currently on Pancreatic lipase 1000: 1.5 capsule for each meal.
Broth of chicken potato pumpkin supplemented with 2 eggs, banana(1/2 per day) n curd n multivitamins, each meal has atleast 350gms food n 300gms of water. She is currently at 21kgs which was her original weight. she is an active dog who loves to play.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 17 Apr 2021, 12:30

Hi there! Yes you can give the yolk. There is no reason to restrict fat for an EPI dog - that is an old school of thought. If your dog doesn't have any food sensitivities you could also maybe try adding another meat that is not as lean as chicken to give some more fat/calories.

Also, you said you give B12 syrup - can you tell us exactly what that is? If it's not the right type of B12 supplement that could be part of the problem as well.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Nainbud
Pet name: Buddy
My name: Naina

Post by Nainbud » 23 Apr 2021, 01:08

Hi Madelon
Thank you for your response.
I live in a very small city in India hence chicken is my best bet for protein. I will definitely add the yolk omce I set her properly with the coconut oil.
As for b12 syrup it's in addition to her weekly dose of injection i.e. mecobalamin one! So the syrup is more is less an addition to it not just her only support for b12
Buddy diagnosed on July 8,2020.
Currently on Pancreatic lipase 1000: 1.5 capsule for each meal.
Broth of chicken potato pumpkin supplemented with 2 eggs, banana(1/2 per day) n curd n multivitamins, each meal has atleast 350gms food n 300gms of water. She is currently at 21kgs which was her original weight. she is an active dog who loves to play.