How to feed Heartguard/Bravecto?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Willow&Jen
State: Nebraska
Pet name: Willow
My name: Jennifer

How to feed Heartguard/Bravecto?

Post by Willow&Jen » 13 Apr 2021, 23:43

Since my Willow was diagnosed with EPI, I haven’t been keepng up with our normal preventative meds-Bravecto and Heartguard. Yesterday evening i fed Willow a Heartguard pill after an enzymed meal (the med was not enzymed). This evening, she pooped out the Heartguard tablet almost entirely undigested. Perhaps coincidentally my other non epi dog vomited up his Heargard the morning after consumption, undigested.

How should I be feeding these meds to an EPI dog? Or should I?

Thank you!

I wonder if this dose happened to be particularly hard/dried out...particularly since my other dog had issues... but the tablets were not expired.
Willow is an Australian Shepherd born 11/2018 and diagnosed with EPI 10/9/2020. She weighs ~42 lb.

10/7/20 Non fasting test results: Cobalamin 593 ng/L, reference 251-908 ; Folate 15 μg/L ; reference 7.7-24.4; Pancreatic Lipase Immunoreactivity 80 μg/L;
'TLI 1.1 μg/L ; reference 5.7-45.2 ;

11/18/20 Fasting test results: Cobalamin: 512 ng/L ; Folate 14.3 μg/L ; Pancreatic Lipase Immunoreactivity: <30 μg/L ; TLI: <1.0 μg/L

9/16/21 Cobalamin only retest 673 ng/L

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: How to feed Heartguard/Bravecto?

Post by jilbert57 » 14 Apr 2021, 09:40

I don't know but that is interesting. Mickey had a potassium citrate big caplet that I thought he was pooping out. Turns out he was pooping out the empty shell. His wasn't a chewy though.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 14 Apr 2021, 16:57

hi Jennifer... okay... that is weird!!!! But... if my memory serves me correctly.... i think i have read of the same or similar thing happening to other EPI dogs, although certainly not a typical event.

My EPI dog HATED the taste of the Heartworm tab. so i used to break it apart (it was just too big) and give it mixed in some cream cheese.... maybe try something like this next time to see if it is "processed" better????
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 14 Apr 2021, 20:03

Hi Jennifer,

For some reason my dogs love the heartworm pill. But I do break it up (I use a crab cracker)and sprinkle it on the food just before eating. Madison would also like Olesia's suggestion. She loves cream cheese.

Barb

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 14 Apr 2021, 23:29

Cream cheese was a life saver for SOOOooooo many pills for all my dogs.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 17 Apr 2021, 12:39

Hi Jennifer. My EPI boy has pooped out a whole pill before - as far as I know it's only happened once.

If my memory serves me correctly there has recently been some issues with Bravecto causing deaths in dogs - you might google and look it up.

I only use an all natural flea/tick spot treatment and the heartworm medicine I give just whole in the food.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Apr 2021, 20:28

Hi Madelon,

What natural tick and flea product do you use ?

I have used Frontline PLus with all my dogs, and it was only 1 of 2 of all available products that was safe for me to use on Izzy when she developed IMHA .... however, going forward, whenever i do get another puppy.... i have decided to try this product. The review have been very good and it has really peaked my interest:

Made by Springtime Supplements:
https://www.springtimeinc.com/product/b ... upplements

Willow&Jen
State: Nebraska
Pet name: Willow
My name: Jennifer

Post by Willow&Jen » 18 Apr 2021, 11:07

Thanks all for the suggestions! I will crumble it up next time and see how that goes!

I will have to read up on Bravecto....I know Seresto has had some bad PR recenly...we definitely need some protection though! the aussie coat seems to be really easy for ticks to grab on to...last summer we went out with my brother’s lab. The lab came back with maybe one or two ticks; our aussies had 20+...ugh!
Willow is an Australian Shepherd born 11/2018 and diagnosed with EPI 10/9/2020. She weighs ~42 lb.

10/7/20 Non fasting test results: Cobalamin 593 ng/L, reference 251-908 ; Folate 15 μg/L ; reference 7.7-24.4; Pancreatic Lipase Immunoreactivity 80 μg/L;
'TLI 1.1 μg/L ; reference 5.7-45.2 ;

11/18/20 Fasting test results: Cobalamin: 512 ng/L ; Folate 14.3 μg/L ; Pancreatic Lipase Immunoreactivity: <30 μg/L ; TLI: <1.0 μg/L

9/16/21 Cobalamin only retest 673 ng/L

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 19 Apr 2021, 13:56

Olesia - I use Spot On by Dr. Mercola https://www.chewy.com/dr-mercola-flea-t ... /dp/162935

I used to use Frontline but it literally burned Doc's skin two years ago so I stopped using it on both dogs.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

shtern
State: Louisiana
Pet name: den
My name: Monica

Post by shtern » 27 Apr 2021, 13:23

My dog so old and I think about low sodium dog food.