Tylan update

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Floramac

Tylan update

Post by Floramac » 15 Apr 2021, 02:19

As I could not source Tylan we decided to try weaning Kenzie off. She was on 1/8th tsp twice a day.
I started this 3 weeks ago and got to zero 5 days ago. All was good, in fact her poo was overall very good if slightly better. Yesterday afternoon, one horrible sloppy poo then last night twice she cried to go out and it was liquid. This morning again some more liquid projectile. Could this be a reaction to the zero Tylan? I thought she would have reacted badly as it was reduced, not all, of a sudden? She is due at the vet this afternoon for a general check, I am thinking of asking them to do a blood test? Help 😯
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

Latest TLI was 5.5 Previous readings have been TLI - 3.4 and 4.2.

Floramac

Re: Tylan update

Post by Floramac » 15 Apr 2021, 05:56

I have found a very helpful Farm vets supplier in N Ireland who has stock. They are aware of the issues with Tylan all over the UK but luckily have a good stock. Ordered 3 tubs so fingers crossed this is the problem.
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 15 Apr 2021, 12:52

That’s good to know. Presumably you have a prescription from your own vet.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 15 Apr 2021, 14:08

Yes they emailed a prescription this afternoon and the order is on its way. Just pray it is down to the Tylan.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 16 Apr 2021, 05:53

can you let me know the address etc. thank you for this

We could never take Kara off Tylan she was on a miniscule amount for maybe 3 years
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 17 Apr 2021, 12:33

I hope it's just the Tylan causing the bad poop. When I tried to take Doc off of Tylan his poops went immediately sloppy - not liquid diarrhea but no form. I have gotten him down to a maintenance dose of 1/8tsp once a day and we will stay there forever :) Glad you were able to find some Tylan and stock up! Let us know how things go.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 17 Apr 2021, 14:24

Jean wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 05:53 can you let me know the address etc. thank you for this

We could never take Kara off Tylan she was on a miniscule amount for maybe 3 years
Liskilly Vets
Ltd
www.farmvetsupplies.com
Very helpful and friendly, got it sent out asap.

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 17 Apr 2021, 14:27

As soon as we started back on Tylan (back on 1/4 tsp twice a day ), she improved. 2 days on and poos are very good!
Should we stick with 1/4 tsp for 45 days or could we revert to the maintenance dose of 1/8 tsp sooner? She had been on the maintenance dose for 3 years.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 17 Apr 2021, 20:17

We had a similar issue with Kolby when we tried to take him off the tylan. We would get him down to no tylan and he would be OK for a week. As soon as we started the second week without tylan, the poos would go south. Glad to hear the tylan seems to be putting everything back on track.

Barb

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 19 Apr 2021, 03:43

Should we stick with 1/4 tsp for 45 days or could we revert to the maintenance dose of 1/8 tsp sooner? She had been on the maintenance dose for 3 years.
Thanks