new!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
kaseydawn
State: Indiana

Re: new!

Post by kaseydawn » 29 Aug 2018, 11:12

thanks everyone you've been so helpful! I will start these changes and update you soon! :)
diagnosed august 2018 with EPI. currently on 1/8 tsp tylan twice daily, 1/4 tsp prozyme twice daily, pancreatin x 6 1/2 tsp twice daily, Diamond naturals small breed adult and a vitamine b12 injection every 2 weeks :D

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 29 Aug 2018, 21:29

Welcome to our EPI family!
I'm glad you found us. Once you get the proper enzymes on board I suspect you will begin to see better results. But as Olesia said, because there are 4 parts to the equation, you may need to "tweak" things along the way to get optimal results for your pup. All EPI dogs respond a little differently, so what works for my girl may not necessarily work for yours.
That's where this group comes in. Lots of experience from all around the world dealing with EPI day in and day out.
So ask questions as you have them and please keep us updated on how things are going.
Oh, and I highly recommend EnzymeDiane as well. Great product and prices. Great customer service as well.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 31 Aug 2018, 05:04

hi there

i am from the UK , but thats where it ends

we are all in the same boat

back in 2010 I came here bewildered, with a Shepherd 14 months old, and 39 pounds in weight

and met some amazing people

as a vet tech, I hope you will be able to pass on our, and your wisdom, and experiences

My Kara , now 9 yrs old, is 90 pounds, and although we have issues not related to EPI, we keep going

she was not an easy dog to stabalise, but you chip away

you have loads of advice

my big one is keep a journal, write down EVERYTHING,

remember, one change at a time

ask away

jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 31 Aug 2018, 18:09

A very warm welcome to you and Reba. I am glad you found us. We have all been where you are and this site has saved our pups. Once you have the four important elements in balance, you will start to see improvement. It is hard in the beginning because you are trying to fix everything. You have received excellent advice......

Just to emphasize......the log/journal saved our sanity. It helps you to keep everything in one place and it shows you what is working and what needs to be tweaked.

Enzyme Diane saved our pocketbook and provides an excellent product. (And she is wonderful to work with).

Getting the B12 level up finally helped Kolby to gain weight. Keeping it up keeps his stools decent. At diagnosis, he was a 54 pound German Shepherd who looked emaciated. 8 and 1/2 years later, he is still at his target weight of 85 pounds where he has been for many years.

Hang in there. Ask whatever questions you have. There is a lot of knowledge here and many willing and generous people to help you figure it out.

Barb

Em1790
State: New Jersey

New! Administering Pancrezyme Powder

Post by Em1790 » 07 Sep 2018, 16:47

I have an 11 year old yorkie-poo named Sophie. She was just diagnosed with EPI a few weeks ago. I have a question regarding administering Pancrezyme Powder. I know you have to mix it with food, add a little water, and let it sit for 20 minutes prior to feeding so they don’t get sores in their mouth. My Vet told me I can also mix the powder with peanut butter. My question is, if you do mix the powder with peanut butter, do you still have to wait the 20 minutes? My dog isn’t very patient and wants to eat right away!

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 07 Sep 2018, 20:39

Hi Em. I'm not really sure about mixing with peanut butter. I've never heard of that before. Are you mixing with peanut butter because your dog had issues eating the food mixed with enzymes? We recommend mixing the enzymes with a luke warm liquid then mixing with the food and let it sit for 20-30 minutes before serving. If you could start your own Topic Discussion with details about your dog's specific test results and medications, food, etc. it will help us be better able to answer questions and offer suggestions.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.