Bad poops

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Roosdad

Bad poops

Post by Roosdad » 21 Apr 2021, 13:54

My dogs poops haven’t gotten any better she’s still having extremely watery diarrhea. We’re waiting on her Tylan prescription to arrive she’s been doing a teaspoon of enzymes by Diane with one cup of hills prescription diet “digestive care” I/d low fat. We also just started trying to add slippery elm today and she’s also doing intrinsic b12. Her attitude is great and we’ve gotten her regurgitation under control with omeprazole 2 times a day once when waking up and again around 5-6 o’clock at night. The only thing that still worries me is the diarrhea. She’s still chugging large amounts of water I’m guessing to compensate for what she’s losing when she poops. Sorry for all the poop talk any one have any suggestions? They’d be greatly appreciated.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Bad poops

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Apr 2021, 16:58

Watery poos, although most likely from out of control SID (small intestinal dysbiosis).... could also be from some sort of food sensitivity..... mentioning this just in case.

SO...... to address SID.... i noticed you just started the slippery elm today.... PLEASE let us know with the next poo elimination, if this helps firm the poo up (you could even see a difference today if the SLippery Elm is going to hep... it usually works very fast!)... even if just a little bit. This information will help us better assess what is going on and how to address it.

Next... how soon will it be before the Tylan arrives? My guess is that that is when you will most likely see the poos firm up.

SInce you already ordered the Tylan and it is on it's way... please keep us posted.... cause we need to confirm that you are giving the correct amount/twice a day, with meals (sometimes the Tylan powder needs to be camouflaged cause it tastes NASTY to some dogs... so many of us pour the designated amount into an empty gel cap, cover the gel cap with cream cheese and give it to our dogs this way with a meal)... and to be given for 45 days.

Approimately halfway thru the 45 days, you should introduce a probiotic to your dog to help start building up some good gut flora. Problem with these EPI dogs is that not only do they not have enough bacteria in the gut, they also do not have enough variety of bacteria in the gut, so you will want to help put your dog's gut flora in better condition.

Please let us know how the next poo is... very interested in knowing of the SLippery ELm helps firm up to some degree the watery poo.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Roosdad

Post by Roosdad » 22 Apr 2021, 12:10

Yeah so we started the tylosin last night and she ate it on her food last night but she didn’t seem too excited about it then her meal this morning she wouldn’t touch the food with the tylosin on it. She’s prescribed 1/8th of a teaspoon every 12 hours for 6 weeks. I was just coming here to try and get tips to get her to take it. Any idea what size capsules she’ll need to get an 1/8th of a teaspoon in?

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 22 Apr 2021, 14:13

I'm sorry, I don't know exactly what size capsule to use, but I dump the Wonderlabs B12 out of the capsule & place it on the food, saving the capsules for another time. You could try one of them out, using 1/8 teaspoon salt or sugar, and see how it goes.

If you want to try something easier, put the tylan on top of the food & top it with parmesan cheese, oily tuna fish, sardines, etc. Pungent, ultra tasty things like that are good at disguising the bitterness. --- Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 22 Apr 2021, 16:30

Kolby hated the taste of tylan, so I had to remove it completely away from the food. I filled the empty gel caps that I ordered online and pilled him after each meal. He was really good about allowing me to put a pill way back in his mouth so he would swallow. If you can then give something as a treat that she can tolerate....cream cheese etc...... so she gets the reward after she takes the pill, that might help. She won't be associating her food with the bitter taste and she knows she will get the treat after the pill.

Barb

Roosdad

Post by Roosdad » 22 Apr 2021, 17:58

Haha Pam I literally just got done filling the empty wonderlabs b12 with tylosin before reading this great minds think a like. It fits perfectly. I’ll probably just do that from now on but I also ordered some extras.

Roosdad

Post by Roosdad » 22 Apr 2021, 18:00

Thanks barb I ordered some empty capsules so I’m hoping I’ll be able to get her to eat them.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 22 Apr 2021, 20:13

Jordan, I coat the capsules in room temperature butter, and they slide down easily. I let her lick my fingers afterward, as a treat, but then I'm weird like that.

Good to know we were on the same page! I have a whole cupful of those empty capsules, and I also put slippery elm in them.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Roosdad

Post by Roosdad » 22 Apr 2021, 20:50

I wish I would’ve been keeping them the whole time I just happened to have sloppily left the last 3 on my little bar cart full of dog supplies. I think I may try that trick with some coconut oil.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 23 Apr 2021, 10:18

Hi Jordan,
How are the poops. Getting more solid in form at all?
One thing to keep in mind is the Hills low fat gastro food. My old JRT ate that with his pancreatitis and did well on it. Does your pup need low fat? If not, no reason not to feed the regular. BUT the Hills contains grains which can interfere with the efficacy of the enzymes. Most EPI animals require grain free low fiber 4% or less diet. Just to keep in mind.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.