Newly Diagnoised

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
PipersMom
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Piper
My name: Shawn

Re: Newly Diagnoised

Post by PipersMom » 02 May 2021, 05:34

I think the zofran was making Piper constipated. I did not give her a second doze yesterday and Piper had a very hard stool finally last night.

This morning when she heard me open her kibble container she actually for the first time in a very long time came over to the kitchen and sat waiting to eat. I again mixed her Farmers dog with the HP as I do not want to go full in without converting her over (as not to have loose stool). The whole time the food was incubating she was waiting to eat. Then she licked the plate clean. She had a normal bowel again this morning.

I believe the new food is going to work and the enzymes I know is working since her stool is nice. I have told my vet about your forum and how much it has helped me and she wrote it down in case the time comes she or someone else in the practice has a pet with EPI.

I will report back on how Piper does with the full farmers dog as soon as I convert her totally over.
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 02 May 2021, 09:14

Hey Shawn, I am so glad to hear the food was cleaned up!
You can also pour the food on a flat plate and spread it out. Sometimes not having their nose deep in the enzyme food smell helps.
(just read todays post, maybe you are already using a plate as opposed to a bowl)

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 02 May 2021, 10:04

jilbert57 wrote: 02 May 2021, 09:14 Hey Shawn, I am so glad to hear the food was cleaned up!
You can also pour the food on a flat plate and spread it out. Sometimes not having their nose deep in the enzyme food smell helps.
(just read todays post, maybe you are already using a plate as opposed to a bowl)

Jill
Yes :) I have been doing that since I read it here ;)
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 02 May 2021, 11:50

Hi Shawn... what a great report!!!! It sure does sound like this new food is working in the poop dept.....and i am very much relieved also to hear that she ate with gusto....with the enzymes incubated in the food.... this is GrEAT news!!! So much better than having to try a bunch of other techniques to get the enzymes into her :)

Interesting that the Zofran may have been making her constipated.....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 02 May 2021, 15:32

Yep, Zofran is constipating. I am so happy to hear of Piper's success, and yours! Good job! Glad also to hear that your vet is interested in EPI4Dogs. That is very encouraging.

So for now, you don't need to worry about administering capsules, but if you ever do, there are all kinds of methods for getting a pill down a doggy's throat. I coat it in butter, stick it in the back of the throat, close the snout, & rub the gullet. Works well, unless they are quick enough to get it between their teeth & clamp down, then spit it out when you're not looking. Dogs really are smarter than we are.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Barb
Staff

Post by Barb » 02 May 2021, 20:13

I am soooo glad that Piper is liking her food and that it is agreeing with her. Awesome! And that she is not minding the enzymes. Double awesome. One of our big challenges with Kolby was that he hated the taste and smell of the enzymes. Some dogs don't even seem to notice it.

Congratulations on all this success. It is wonderful when things start to turn around.

Barb

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 02 May 2021, 23:56

So I stopped giving Piper her pepcid at night thinking she may not need it. Well here it is almost midnight and I hear her licking her lips. I can tell she is but herself. I thought maybe she wanted to puke. I saw a tiny carrot piece from her dinner.

So I gave her the pepcid. Took her out to potty and she pooped. Still firm thank goodness.

I hope that it is not the food. She's was fine the first day she the second day she had the same amounts. I will speak to the vet tomorrow. We have an appt to go in for blood work and a B12 shot.

Maybe she ate something while outside? Keeping fingers crossed this was a once off thing.

EPI Diagnoised

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 05 May 2021, 05:21

Monday I took Piper in for BW to check B12. It came back at 505. SO from under 150 to 505. She will test it again in a few months.

Piper is on all The Farmers Dog diet now and loves it still. She is having some upset belly but not like before. Vet said it can be until the body is used to new food.

EPI Diagnoised

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 05 May 2021, 10:57

What a great report! I am so glad the new food is working out. It is so awesome to see them enjoying their mealtime.

Nice job on the B12.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff

Post by Barb » 06 May 2021, 09:10

Congrats on the B12! That is a really good update. So glad everything is working well.

Barb