Newly Diagnoised

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
PipersMom
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Piper
My name: Shawn

Re: Newly Diagnoised

Post by PipersMom » 11 May 2021, 05:28

I am very happy with Piper's progress. Her stool has been firm since starting the enzymes. This is the first time ever she has had good stool. She is also loving her new food. Her food does not have grains, lentils yes but grains no. Her vet wants her on some so I have the Minute Rice Brown Rice and Quinoa. I put maybe a tablespoon of it in each meal. That is her grains.

Treats. I give her one of two treats. I have the Royal Canin HP treats but what she really loves are the SoJo's Good Dog Blueberry Cobbler and Apple Pie biscuits. There are only 5 ingredients to each and no grains. However I contacted the company explaining she is on a strict diet and these are one of the only treats she likes and can eat. They no longer make them :cry: But the women there sent me 4 boxes that they had inventory. Now I am on the hunt for new treats. We use them for training and treats. She also has Cheerios we can give her. What does everyone use as treats? I do not treat the treats with the medicine and she still does great.

Yesterday I gave Piper her B-12 injection. I really need to get comfortable. She yelped a tiny bit. This is only the second time I gave it to her on my own. Any suggestions on that?
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 11 May 2021, 13:35

I use Mother Hubbard and Fruitables, but I'm not sure of the ingredients.

Tucker gets a few each day, without enzymes, which may be why his poo is a little soft. Just a little, though.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Barb
Staff

Post by Barb » 11 May 2021, 16:22

The only time Kolby ever reacted to the B12 injection was at the beginning when I had the wrong size needle. When I switched to the right size, he never even felt it and used to sit and wait while I gave it to him because he knew he would get an enzymed treat. Do you know the number of the needle you are using? I used size 25. He never felt a thing. There shouldn't be any yelping or indication of pain.

Barb

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 12 May 2021, 10:49

The sticker on the baggie they were in says the needles are 22 x 3/4.

I am having a tough time with Piper going outside. All she wants to do is eat grass and now eat those damn helicopters that fall from the trees. As soon as she does I bring her right in.
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Post by Jane&Clyde » 13 May 2021, 16:29

Since beef seems to be going well and dogs love meat, you might want to consider freeze dried beef, beef hearts, beef liver, etc. for treats. There are several brands that make them.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 14 May 2021, 04:36

As Kara got older she could tolerate treats but its not advised

we trained her with a squeaky ball or a tennis ball, either would do so long as she got it !

the enzymes only last to digest the food at the time, so they last maybe 1 hour if they are powder, and then are useless
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 16 May 2021, 10:26

Glad to hear Piper is doing so well. My boy can't tolerate any treats - I tried making my own dehydrated kibble treats with enzymes but even that didn't go over too well. Luckily he loves ice cubes so that is all he gets as a treat. Just keep an eye on the poops to make sure whatever new treat you try agrees with Piper :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 16 May 2021, 10:42

I have the three treats (SoJos Good Dog, Royal Canin HP and Cheerios) that she can and does eat and thankfully no ill effects and poop good.

She loves RawHide but I am hesitant on giving it to her. My husband wants to give her one. I keep saying no. As for toys, she will rip thru EVERYTHING.. except those toys that are hard nylon (Bullymake, Benebone or Super Chewers). We tried Kong, invincibles and any other super chewer toys and she rips them all :shock:

EPI Diagnoised

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 16 May 2021, 11:06

For Mickeys Adequan shots I would smear reconstituted PB2 or some canned food on a likmat and he would be busily licking while I gave his injection in neck nape after an enzymed meal.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff

Post by Barb » 17 May 2021, 18:47

You might want to try the 25 needle. It is smaller and she should not feel it at all. By the way, the larger the number for needle size, the smaller it is. So the size 25 is thinner than the size 22 you are using.

Barb