Newly Diagnoised

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
PipersMom
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Piper
My name: Shawn

Re: Newly Diagnoised

Post by PipersMom » 27 Apr 2021, 09:10

Question, when I take Piper outside all she wants to do is sniff and eat grass. I never allow her to eat much as I take her in as soon as she starts. She has never vomited. Should I just let her eat some and not stress her doing it? I know some just eat it because it is fresh.
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 27 Apr 2021, 09:35

I would let her eat some and not stress. In Mickey's case he ate it because he enjoyed it.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 27 Apr 2021, 10:08

jilbert57 wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 09:35 I would let her eat some and not stress. In Mickey's case he ate it because he enjoyed it.

Jill

Thanks, That is good to hear. Image
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 27 Apr 2021, 11:02

Just keep in mind her tummy might be upset too. TJ our pup now goes out, eats long grass then starts gagging unlike Mick did. Who knows?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 29 Apr 2021, 19:29

Piper is not eating much at all. Tomorrow the fresh food will arrive and will see how she does on that. In the meantime doctor is giving Piper zofran twice a day before meals. I will try in the am. Maybe if we're get her upset belly in check she will eat.

Once the food comes I then have to see how the beef agrees with her. We have to make sure she is not allergic to that too. If needed I have the list of food recommend her e and there is also the HP or z/d foods.

Keeping fingers crossed

EPI Diagnoised

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 29 Apr 2021, 22:55

Thanks for sharing the test results.

I noticed you mentioned that your vet is hesitant to give a script for Tylan especially since her poo's are not so bad right now. Your vet is making the right call.... our protocol is to keep SID (which all EPI dogs have to one degree or another) under good control..... Metro is a big No-No.... and if a prebiotic, and /or pre+probiotic has failed to improve things...that is when you tell/ask your vet you want a 45 day course of Tylan. BUT.... if the stool production is fairly good... then no need to give antibiotics (Tylan) at this point in time....

saw the ingredients for the new food you ordered... hope it goes well.

please keep us posted!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 30 Apr 2021, 03:08

Thank you. The vet actually said that the enzymes are working as all Piper's stool was good. Her stool has never been as good as it has been in her 20 months of life.

I do have another question. The doctor mentioned if the enzymes are affecting her eating (AA I mentioned above, she has but been touching any food the last two days except for maybe a total of 1/2cup tops) that they can try a gelatin capsule. Yes this can be tricky but it is an option. When she says tricky, how so? How do you give that? How do you know it will work? Etc...

EPI Diagnoised

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Apr 2021, 20:58

if she is being hesitant about eating food with the enzymes mixed in.... first we recommend trying "toppers" anything yummy (to the dog) on top of the food to entice them to eat... however... if this fails.... then

1. you can try pouring the designated amount of enzymes in empty gel caps..... the way to check to see if it is working is to keep a close eye on the poos to make sure they don't start going soft....

2. My thought is to try maybe try this technique BUT with 1/2 the amount of enzymes in the food and the other 1/2 in capsules .... and see if this works.

For example.... if you are feeding 1 cup of food per meal ,,,,, instead of mixing 1 tsp of enzymes in the meal.... try mixing only 1/2 tsp of enzymes in the meal and pour the other 1/2 tsp of enzymes into an empty gel cap and give this to her during the meal.

the objective is to lessen the taste of the enzymes in the meal so maybe she will still eat the meal... but make sure she is getting enough of the enzymes by putting the other 1/2 of it in a capsule.

If you try both 1 & 2 above and nothing really works.... then you can use CREON. CREON is enteric coated little pellets of enzymes that you open the capsule and sprinkle on the food and serve immediately. It does not have any taste of smell. BUT... it is expensive. However, at least this is an option. If you have to do this, then we will give you a online source in Canada where it is under $100 for 100 CREON !) or CREON 12 pills. You will need a script from your vet. We have done this with other EPI owners who had no other option but to go this route.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 01 May 2021, 11:07

I have been using the chart you have on this site. I did modify a bit for myself. It is very good to have.

Piper has not been eating since Wednesday. Maybe 10% in the am and pm. Last night her food came, The Farmer's Dog Beef Recipe. Here is the recipe info:
Beef, Sweet Potato, Lentils, Carrot, Beef Liver, Water, Kale, Sunflower Seeds, Fish Oil, Tricalcium Phosphate, Sea Salt, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Taurine, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Potassium Iodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid. Crude Protein: 11% min. Crude Fat: 8% min. Crude Fiber: 1.5% max. Moisture: 73% max
I had to let it defrost so this morning Piper had 75% of the HP food and 25% of the new food mixed with the enzymes. She ate the plate clean and licked the color off LOL. But now I wait for her to have a bowel. With her not eating, she has not had once since Thursday evening. I know she has to go but is not. Only eating grass ... again. I am hoping that I will be able to continue to use the enzymes and not have to get the gelcaps. And hope that her stools stay good.

I looked into the Taste of the Wild and since we have to watch what she eats because of allergies, it seems like the Prey Angus Beef would be what we could try. All other varieties have ingredients she can not have. The only other one would be the Ancient Stream but we are not wanting to give fish at the moment.

EPI Diagnoised

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 01 May 2021, 23:14

Paws and fingers crossed that this Farmer's dog food works for her.
Please keep us posted!