Vet visit today

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Roosdad

Vet visit today

Post by Roosdad » 26 Apr 2021, 13:47

So we had a vet visit today because Roo had a bad day yesterday she seemed to be having some stomach pains and I found a pile of vomited partly digested wood chips so our vet friend told us to induce vomiting which we did and up came a few more wood chips and the carrot slice I had given her from 9 days ago. I’m not sure why the carrot never made it to the poop. Also I got her tli score and her numbers are high not low so I’m not sure if anyone can explain what that means? Is she overproducing enzymes? Am I hurting her by supplementing enzymes? Also I’m working on switching her food I saw some people on here have had a lot of success with the sports food so we ordered that to try instead of the hills digestive care. Thanks for all your help you’ve all been great.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: Vet visit today

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 26 Apr 2021, 14:28

Hey Jordan, I am so sorry. Can you post all of the test results? And what did the vet say? ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Roosdad

Post by Roosdad » 26 Apr 2021, 14:38

I don’t have any copies of them but her score was a 40 on the tli.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 26 Apr 2021, 14:48

When Mickey had pancreatitis his Tli was elevated over 50. Was a cPl done during blood testing do you know?. An elevated Tli would be indicative of possible pancreatitis.

https://battlab.com/tli-folate-b12/#:~: ... and%20cats.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Roosdad

Post by Roosdad » 26 Apr 2021, 15:02

Thanks for the info Jill I’m not sure about the CPI. Is that something I should have done?

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 26 Apr 2021, 16:31

You just need to have pancreatitis on your radar with an increased Tli.
Did your vet comment on the elevated Tli?
You can call the vet and ask to have all test results .pdf to you by email then post them.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 26 Apr 2021, 20:16

so sorry that roo was sick vomiting today.... but you are in the best possible hands with Jill.... high TLI scores are in her wheelhouse.
The one thing i would caution you with a high TLI score, just in case this is pancreatitis (and that would cause tummy pain) is try to be careful how much fatty stuff you feed her, you will want to limit fat.... at least until you know for sure what is going on and if it is not pancreatitis.

Also.... with chronic pancreatitis, many vet do prescribe a smaller dose of pancreatic enzymes... but it usually is on a temporary basis.
However with an acute pancreatitis attack, you do not want to give the dog enzymes.....

How did the vet leave it with you? Did she/he recommend a cPLI test for pancreatitis?
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Roosdad

Post by Roosdad » 27 Apr 2021, 00:02

So they tested tli pli b12 and folate. Today he told me to continue using enzymes. Am I missing a test? Thanks

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 27 Apr 2021, 09:06

What was the result of Pli? Was it elevated? What I am trying to do is see if the test results indicated Pancreatitis. For that it would be nice to see the results. When you look over the lab results, and a value is high or low, it will have an asterisk indicating a footnote. It will explain a little more what high or low value indicates.
The Pli is Pancreatic Lipase Immunoreactivity, a measure of a specific enzyme from the pancreas called Lipase. If it is high it would indicate Pancreatitis and you would need to treat it with low fat diet, possible pain meds, until test results indicate it has resolved itself.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/ ... ty-in-dogs

Thanks

Jill

Roosdad

Post by Roosdad » 27 Apr 2021, 09:32

I’m going to have my wife call the vet today to get those lab results. From what I remember him saying it sounded like both test were elevated. If that’s the case are we hurting by using enzymes Diane? We are using hills low fat digestive care dog food currently.