Possible EPI in my GSD

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Psphinx81
State: Texas
Pet name: Axle
My name: Paul

Possible EPI in my GSD

Post by Psphinx81 » 27 Apr 2021, 16:09

Good afternoon everyone!

My GSD’s 3rd birthday is today but I think my big guy has possibly EPI.

He has lost around 6 lbs in the last month and a half. He has gone from 94lbs to 88lbs since March 3rd. we had episodes in the past of bloody stool that was inconsistent.

He had low B12 and is now on b12 injections. The vet at the time did a TLI test but I don’t have the results ( I’m waiting on them to call me back) but from a conversation earlier today she said his results were borderline on the TLI and it’s a possibility of EPI at this point since he has lost a little weight.

Our vet said they would like to do a colonoscopy and get a biopsy to confirm but it has a price tag of $3000.

Once I get them back on the phone I’m going to tell them I want the TLI results from his blood work they did on March 3rd.

It all started when he would have stomach gurgling noises then would get a bloody stool with mucus looking stuff in there. He is now on a hydrolyzed dry dog food with B12 injections and hasn’t had an episode like that in 2 months. His drinking and eating is normal. I think his stool could be better (sometimes it’s soft and other times harder) but it’s not diarrhea by any means.

Should I consider doing another round of blood work to get the results of the TLI and all that again?

His eating and drinking is normal. He plays all the time and is in no signs of pain.

Thanks for the help everyone.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Possible EPI in my GSD

Post by jilbert57 » 27 Apr 2021, 17:51

Hi Paul,
Do you mean a colonoscopy to confirm the Epi? Will you please call your vet and ask that they will email you a .pdf of the test results from all tests done? Then will you post the results so we can better help you.The Tli test will confirm if your dog has Epi or not or where he is on the results.

I do not see a need for a colonoscopy to confirm Epi, maybe someone else will chime in.

Was your pup food fasted for 8 hours pre blood draw?

Let us know!

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 27 Apr 2021, 18:17

Tucker showed early signs, like the inability to gain weight, and his poop very gradually morphed into classic EPI diarrhea. I have read that dogs can slowly segue into EPI, and I'm sure that's what happened to Tucker. So, maybe borderline numbers do indicate that yours is on the way, too.

I would not do the $3,000.00 test until you have shared all the results here, and staff members have had the chance to respond.

These ladies know their stuff. ---Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Psphinx81

Post by Psphinx81 » 27 Apr 2021, 18:48

Yes ma’am a colonoscopy. I’m waiting for them to give me a call back tomorrow and will tell them to send me the results.

Yes he was fasted before the test.

They did a sonogram on him that day as well and saw no abnormal stuff going on in there.
jilbert57 wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 17:51 Hi Paul,
Do you mean a colonoscopy to confirm the Epi? Will you please call your vet and ask that they will email you a .pdf of the test results from all tests done? Then will you post the results so we can better help you.The Tli test will confirm if your dog has Epi or not or where he is on the results.

I do not see a need for a colonoscopy to confirm Epi, maybe someone else will chime in.

Was your pup food fasted for 8 hours pre blood draw?

Let us know!

Jill

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 27 Apr 2021, 19:42

Hi Paul,

I'm sorry your pup has to celebrate his birthday not feeling very well. I agree that if we have the results of the cTli test, we can better help you. He might be heading toward EPI if his numbers show that he is in a certain range.

Every dog presents differently. Our Kolby had on and off voluminous stools, but not real diarrhea until later, so our vet didn't think he had EPI. When we did the test, it showed almost no pancreatic function.

We'll look forward to seeing the results.

Barb.

Psphinx81

Post by Psphinx81 » 27 Apr 2021, 20:16

Luckily he acts as his normal self. He’s eating,drinking, playing like the crazy pup he is.

From what the vet told me his numbers on the TLI were borderline but now I want to see the results for myself.
Barb wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 19:42 Hi Paul,

I'm sorry your pup has to celebrate his birthday not feeling very well. I agree that if we have the results of the cTli test, we can better help you. He might be heading toward EPI if his numbers show that he is in a certain range.

Every dog presents differently. Our Kolby had on and off voluminous stools, but not real diarrhea until later, so our vet didn't think he had EPI. When we did the test, it showed almost no pancreatic function.

We'll look forward to seeing the results.

Barb.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Apr 2021, 11:09

Hi!

So sorry that you and your dog are dealing with this.... being in the "gray" zone is always confusing.

As everyone else suggested, please tell your vet you want the actual results from the TLI test that was done in March.
When a TLI test i "borderline" (although we still want to see the numbers so that we understand exactly how borderline we are talking here!) and when the dog shows EPI symptoms.... the protocol is to treat the dog as if it has EPI (for now) and re-do the TLI test in another 3 to 6 months to confirm or not EPI... or at least if it is heading in the direction of EPI.

The fact that your vet wants to do a scope has NOTHING to do with an EPI diagnosis. However, it has everything to do with accurately diagnosing IBD. IBD can display very similar symptoms to EPI. BUT..... i would NOT go this route just yet.... only if all the EPI treatment fails, if the TLI retest value is not trending down towards EPI or is EPI.

And even then, before i would do a traumatic and expensive scope, i would first ask the vet to do an IBD blood test for better indication that you might be dealing with IBD....

Please check out this page for current IBD information:
https://epi4dogs.com/ibd-allergies-food-intolerance/

Previously the only accurate way to test for IBD was via an invasive scope.

Thanks to recent technology, they now have non-invasive ways to test for IBD indications. Simple Blood Tests!
Currently there are two labs that are doing blood testing for IBD:

TAMU: Canine C-reactive Protein – Gastrointestinal Laboratory (tamu.edu)
https://vetmed.tamu.edu/gilab/service/a ... e-protein/
ANTECH: Antech Diagnostics | Canine IBD/Chronic Enteropathy Assay
https://www.antechdiagnostics.com/labor ... -ibd-assay

Or... if not EPI.... then "try" hydrolyzed food before doing a scope.... if IBD, you often end up feeding a hydrolyzed food to control the IBD anyway.
You can also do a sensitivity test via Dr. Dodds if IBD is strongly suspected
https://hemopet.org/nutriscan/
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Psphinx81

Post by Psphinx81 » 28 Apr 2021, 13:50

I appreciate all the help!

I took him to the vet this AM for a weight re check and he’s down 3 lbs since March 3rd. So down 3 lbs in almost 2 months, he was 94 March 3rd and 91 this AM.

Still awaiting on the call from his doctor but she had an Emergency call come in today.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 28 Apr 2021, 20:33

Let us know how it goes with your vet. Hang in there.

Barb

Psphinx81

Post by Psphinx81 » 28 Apr 2021, 23:00

I also wanted to ask…

My big guy isn’t really a fan of the b12 injections. We get it done but he knows it’s coming and wants to run away lol.

Should I stick with those or go with the wonderland b12?