Help with Tylan, what to mix it with?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Help with Tylan, what to mix it with?

Post by Olesia711 » 01 Sep 2018, 15:53

As far as i know, you need a prescription for Tylan powder now..... HOWEVER..... i know many of us order foods from CHewy.com.... well..... just get your vet to write a prescription and you can also order Tylan from Chewy!
https://www.chewy.com/tylan-soluble-powder/dp/173768
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

dana7123
State: Colorado

Post by dana7123 » 02 Sep 2018, 20:51

It feels like the tylan isn't helping. I am getting it into her now but her poo is almost the same. There is a bit more form to it but it's still goldish and sticking to the grass. Really messy to pick up. I'm getting worried. I don't know what set this off. She was doing fantastic with perfect poo and now ......:-(
My Belle is a rescue. She was 3 mo when I adopted her and at 7 mo we discovered the EPI. Her TLI results were "0.4". We went to 3 Vets before we found the 4th vet who knew exactly what was wrong. What a relief! He put her on B12 and enzymes right away! I was so glad to find enzymediane! Belle gets 2 1/2 cups of food with 1 tsp of 8x enzymes twice a day. She is now (at 116 lbs) but now has SIDS. Started putting Slippery Elm in her breakfast (she would regurgitate breakfast & orange/yellow in poo) & she is doing great now!

dana7123

What food to you all feed your babies....

Post by dana7123 » 02 Sep 2018, 20:55

I am struggling right now with my girl's poo just not where it should be. Vet has her on Tylan and she was doing perfectly and now all of a sudden her poo is goldish and sticking to the grass. I though I would reach out to all of you to see what dog food you are feeding your EPI babies. Thanks for the help
My Belle is a rescue. She was 3 mo when I adopted her and at 7 mo we discovered the EPI. Her TLI results were "0.4". We went to 3 Vets before we found the 4th vet who knew exactly what was wrong. What a relief! He put her on B12 and enzymes right away! I was so glad to find enzymediane! Belle gets 2 1/2 cups of food with 1 tsp of 8x enzymes twice a day. She is now (at 116 lbs) but now has SIDS. Started putting Slippery Elm in her breakfast (she would regurgitate breakfast & orange/yellow in poo) & she is doing great now!

Olesia711

Re: What food to you all feed your babies....

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Sep 2018, 23:02

I noticed in your description, you mentioned that you are feeding 2+1/2 cups of food to 2 tsps of enzymes...
That might be part of the problem.... in addition to the Tylan, try increasing the enzymes by another 1/2 tsp and see if that helps the poos firm up.

If not, next try adding some slippery elm powder... sometimes this does the trick.... but if still no positive improvement... then i would look at changing the food.

I see that you are on Science Diet ID..... that often helps, but for many of our dogs, it doesn't work long term.... so if/when changing food... first whatever yo try, buy the smallest bag possible,,just to see if it is going to work or not.

To start with, Look for a food with no grain in it, something with 4% or less fiber content and maybe try a fish based food first... this may or may not work,

There are a zillion "grain-free" foods out there....but another tip (for now) is to avoid foods with lots of pea ingredients in it.... most of our dogs don't do well with too many pea ingredients in it.... peas is a cheap low end source of protein that tends to give many of our dogs lots of gas .... we even have research here to support that on the Fiber page...

I jsut suggested Taste of the Wild (Pacific Stream) to another member tonight, but there are many, MANY foods out there and unfortunately, just because one brand of food works for one EPI dog is no guarantee that it will work for the next EPI dog....it all depends on the dogs individual gut flora.........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Sep 2018, 23:10

how long has she been on the Tylan, for 103lbs are you giving her 3/8tsp - twice a day??
What you can try is measure out the the two doses x 3/8ths of Tylan but break it down into 3 times a day and try that for a few days... in other words, sames dose total per day, just broken down and given more frequently- -sometimes this works.

It can take a while for the Tylan to work... or you will see a difference almost immediately- -it depends on the dog.

However, if you see absolutely no improvement at all after a full week.... THEN talk to your vet and ask about swapping out the Tylan for Metronidazole.... sometimes some dogs (although this does not happen often) do not respond well to Tylan and respond better to Metronidazole. This doesn't happen often, but it can happen...

However.... i just responded to you regarding a food change..... be careful NOT to change more than one thing at a time... or else you won't know what the problem was nor which fix worked, whether it was the food change or the antibiotic change. I know that it can be very frustrating..... when your pup has a set-back, but it is very important to only make one change at a time, assess the change after a few days (if it appears to be helping or not- if the poo is improving or not) and if not, then try the next change and again, observe for 3-5 days (sometimes even longer) before you make yet another change.......

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 02 Sep 2018, 23:27

Hi there. Believe me we all understand your worry and frustration. Sometimes in the beginning of EPI getting the right balance of everything is frustrating and progress seems slow BUT you mentioned you saw "some improvement" so I would stick with the Tylan. If you're seeing any improvement that is good - it's a milder antibiotic so it may take a bit longer than others to get the job done but in the long run it's the best antibiotic. HOWEVER, if as Olesia said, if you are not seeing improvement with the Tylan then switch to metronidazole.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 02 Sep 2018, 23:32

Hi. I noticed you have two topics going, which can be confusing as each topic addresses a different issue. In order to get the best suggestions, I would try to stick with asking questions on just one post. On this post Olesia suggested switching foods, but on your other post which addresses different issues she suggested not switching foods yet based on the information in that post - just don't want you to get conflicting suggestions.

Typically we suggest only making one change at a time and giving it a few days to see how things go, however, in the beginning of EPI we suggest making all of the changes at once - enzymes, B12, food and antibiotic if necessary.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 03 Sep 2018, 03:05

hi there and good morning from the UK

I see its 1.00 am your time, 8am here

the only thing I can add here is, can you pinpoint anything that brought on this latest bout

without searching do you give any b12 supplement ?

the big issue is, if SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) is evident, then it can deplete any b12 cobalamin reserves an animal has, so Tylan may have to be introduced, we have never been able to stop it

keep your diary, it usually throws up something you may have forgotten, it did with us, record everything

let us know

jeanImage
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 03 Sep 2018, 05:09

just as an update

i have merged your two threads

so we can look at everything as a whole picture

I will send you an email to confirm

jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

dana7123

Post by dana7123 » 03 Sep 2018, 12:57

Thank you everyone! You are right, I am nervous, worried, anxious and yes frustrated. I just want everything to be perfect like it was for her until this started.

I was actually wondering if Belle being on the science diet for so long could now be the problem. It is not grain free either. I cannot pinpoint why this started. A few weeks ago Belle did get into my daughters dog's food but not much happened after that. It is now 2 weeks later and we are having this big problem.....oh poo this morning was back to cow paddy and "smell!!" the sour smell

I am wondering if I am not giving her enough Tylan?....1/3 teaspoon 2 times a day.....
Wondering if I was putting too much or too little enzymes in her food....2 1/2 cups 2x a day food to 2 1/4 t enzymes.
The enzyme to food ratio was working great before her poo was perfect! But now? (sorry here comes my frustration)

Belle is 103-105 lbs. She goes between those 2 weights. Oh and yes I do give her B12 but I give her Cobalequin® B12 Chewable Tablets.

Oh and Jean put my two postings together. She thought it would be easier to keep track of everything that is going on with Belle.

Thanks again everyone...I am checking this forum several times a day for any help.