New EPI Dog - Where do I buy powder?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
afairbairn
State: Colorado
Pet name: Hana
My name: Andy

Re: New EPI Dog - Where do I buy powder?

Post by afairbairn » 07 May 2021, 23:37

Okay, so we are going the Tylan route. So far I've used up about 2 days worth of it and none of it has actually gotten into the dog. I've tried smuggling it in a meatball, yogurt, and cream cheese with no luck on any of them. Anybody have any tips on how to actually get the dog to eat it?
Hana is a 1 year old golden doodle who was recently diagnosed with EPI on top of Myasthenia Gravis and Megaesophogus.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 08 May 2021, 00:22

Hi Andy, get some empty gel caps at the pharmacy or off Amazon and put the dose in those. Yell the pharmacist the dose and they can help with capsule size. Or google capsule size chart.
Put in cream cheese or the likes.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Mcloward
Pet name: Spooky
My name: Marinne

Post by Mcloward » 08 May 2021, 16:13

Hi! I, too, am waiting on an order of enzymes from Enzyme Diane. I saw the Emergency Enzymes section on the website, so I went to the Vitamin Shoppe and bought Pancreatin 350mg - Pancreatin (porcine) 4x. I want to make sure that is the correct enzyme and that the 7-9 crushed up tablets is correct. Seems like A LOT! Thank you!

afairbairn

Post by afairbairn » 08 May 2021, 16:19

We ended up using 10 tablets per meal of one can of wet food which I think is about 1.6 cups of food. I never did figure out if that was the right number or not but it seemed to at least start the digestion process while waiting for the real enzymes. I also went to Walmart and bought a tablet crusher that really helped get them into powder. I think the 7-9 recommendation is per cup of dry food but maybe someone with more knowledge than me can confirm that?
Hana is a 1 year old golden doodle who was recently diagnosed with EPI on top of Myasthenia Gravis and Megaesophogus.

Mcloward
Pet name: Spooky
My name: Marinne

Post by Mcloward » 08 May 2021, 16:28

Thank you for the quick reply! I was worried maybe there are different strengths of the human Pancreatin and maybe I bought a super strong one, which would mean 7-9 tablets would be too much. I can’t find mention of the milligrams used for human grade, just quantity of tablets. Our Spooky is already having so much tummy trouble, I don’t want to cause more while waiting for our Enzyme Diane order.

Thank you!

Marinne

afairbairn

Post by afairbairn » 08 May 2021, 16:47

Yeah it was pretty scary figuring out how much to use and I’m not sure I got it right. But I do know I think the one week since we started our girl had gained 2.5 lbs when she had been steadily losing weight for about a month. So I think even if I got the dose wrong she was at least digesting something. Her stool is still a problem that we need to work thru but I’m just thankful that she is adding weight to her skinny little body.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 08 May 2021, 21:31

If you are using Wonderlab B12, just empty the powder onto the food & put the tylan into the empty capsule. I hold the open capsule over the jar of tylan & pour it in with the measuring spoon. Some of it may land back in the jar, and then you can just add a little more.

Put a little soft butter on the capsule, hold their mouth open & stick it in the back of the throat. Then you shut their mouth & gently massage under their gullet. Make sure they don't catch it in their teeth. There are other techniques, but this has always worked for me. They need their meds

As for the human grade enzymes, DIANE has instructions & dosages on her emergency enzyme page, and I would trust her recommendations.
---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

afairbairn

Post by afairbairn » 12 May 2021, 10:00

I haven't posted in a bit so here's a short update and a new question.

Overall Hana is improving. Her weight this morning is up to 38 lbs from 34.5 about a week and a half ago which is really encouraging. We are seeing a mix of some normal poops and some pretty runny ones so its a bit of a mixed bag. Heres are current regime:

1 can of wet purina hydrolyzed protein with 1.25 teaspoons of 6x powder from Enzyme Diane - 4 times per day
1/8 teaspoon of Tylan Powder in a gel capsule hidden in the food - 2 times per day
1 packet of vet supplied synacore pre / pro biotic - 1 time per day
B12 shot at the vet once per week for the time being

Overall it seems like we are on the right trend with the weight gain and some normal poop? Now for my question. The vet only prescribed the Tylan for 10 days. It seems like everything I read recommends a 45 day period of Tylan. What is the reasoning behind the 45 days? It does seem that with our girls combined diagnosis of EPI / Myasthenia Gravis / Megaesophogus our vet is definitely out of her comfort zone. So I think I'm going to have to talk her into the Tylan for 45 days but would love to be able to give her a reason why instead of just telling her I read it on the internet.

Thanks for any input!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 12 May 2021, 12:17

Wow that report sounds great! So nice to hear of the weight gain also.
I would read this link from the website. Maybe print it out for the vet. I would suspect the 30-45 day course is to make sure SID is well under control. Tylan can be used for life as needed.

https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.