Got To The Bottom Of The "Fits"

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Got To The Bottom Of The "Fits"

Post by Montgomery » 09 May 2021, 22:32

I'm calling it a "fit," a good, old-fashioned term that seems better than calling it a terrifying bout of reverse sneezing. What I am pretty sure has happened is that his enzyme capsule hasn't travelled as far as it needed to go and began to break down, causing gagging, salivating, snorting, and a general panic on Montgomery's part and mine. This has happened four times now, and the last time, when I saw him getting started, I gave him another syringeful of water. Stopped it, just like that, before it went anywhere.
Montgomery's enzymes are put into gelatin capsules and given to him at each meal. I know this is an odd way to do things, but I can't be the only one doing this. The veterinarian was absolutely no help (asked if he was turning blue, shrugged, and walked away), so I'm posting this here so hopefully no other pup or moggy has to go through this.
I'm lousy at posting and its late. Have a good night, everyone!
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Got To The Bottom Of The "Fits"

Post by Olesia711 » 10 May 2021, 12:29

Thanks for sharing but geez..... the vet asked if Montgomery was turning blue and then walked away????!!!! YIKES! That sure would make me lose faith in their compassion and ability!!!!!!!!!!

Very glad you figured out how to alleviate this!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 10 May 2021, 14:47

Have you ever tried dipping the capsule in soft butter or coconut oil? They slide down my maltipoo's (non EPI) gullet. Oh course, your fingers get slippery, and that can be challenging, trying to hold them still. You have to hold their jaw shut, which would be harder on a cat, I'm thinking.

Is he blue??? How can you tell if a cat turns blue?
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 10 May 2021, 17:08

I guess since Montgomery is very fair, you'd see his lips change colour? That would be my best guess.
I use a pill gun with him, followed by quite a bit of water, although sometimes he spits some of the water out...He'd love butter or coconut oil, but he'd pay for that the rest of the day. He grabbed a piece of cheese off Dusty Springfield a few weeks back and I sat there and picked it out of his tongue barbs so he wouldn't swallow it and get sick. Good thing he's so used to being handled.
Yes, we're getting frustrated with the veterinarian. We've had a few long conversations about this recently. It was thanks to Olesia, for instance, that Priya got well. The veterinarian kept insisting nothing was wrong with the kitten, that it was something she was eating. We started giving her some of Montgomery's Tylan and she got better quickly. We almost lost her.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 10 May 2021, 20:37

WOW! I am impressed.... MOntgomery let you pick cheese bits off his tongue???!!!! That is wild!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 10 May 2021, 22:32

I don't think he quite believed it either. Those yellow eyes of his got pretty big!

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 11 May 2021, 16:17

Wow! Congratulations on figuring out how to deal with this. Sometimes we have to be such persistent detectives, watching and observing. You have earned a Master Detective title! Lucky Montgomery.

Barb

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » 11 May 2021, 17:37

Thanks, but I wish I'd figured it out sooner. It was so simple.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 12 May 2021, 04:14

one of my Sheps had a very strange habit of snorting at night, and trying to eat anything he could get hold of, it was Rhinitis, and we dealt with it by taking him out to eat grass, the grass must have scratched his throat enough for relief, but at 2.00am it wasn't conducive to sleep !

one of my cats had a thing for iodine ! she would roll on it on my foot with it on , lick it, and go nuts, we found out she had an iodine deficiency

the things we learn, and do for them

vets dont know everything, as docs dont
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Thomasid11
State: Northern Mariana Islands
Pet name: Sarir
My name: Arielle

Post by Thomasid11 » 03 Jun 2021, 10:35

Tuckaboo Pam wrote: 10 May 2021, 14:47 Have you ever tried dipping the capsule in soft butter or coconut oil? They slide down my maltipoo's rachat de credit info (non EPI) gullet. Oh course, your fingers get slippery, and that can be challenging, trying to hold them still. You have to hold their jaw shut, which would be harder on a cat, I'm thinking.

Is he blue??? How can you tell if a cat turns blue?
But closing a cat's jaw is a real titanic job. It is not really obvious.