Cooper - New to EPI

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
hardingj_9
Pet name: Cooper
My name: Josh

Re: Cooper - New to EPI

Post by hardingj_9 » 19 May 2021, 17:48

I spoke too soon with the poo :(
Based in UK
Suspected EPI
Dogs name Cooper
German Shepherd - 5 months old
weight 22.5kg
Currently on Panzem enzymes since 15/05/2021
food - Arden Grange Puppy Sensitive Dog Food
B12 Levels - 721 ng/l
TLI 22 ng/ml
Folate 11.5 ug/L

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 19 May 2021, 18:00

Hmm. Hope it gets back.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 19 May 2021, 20:49

Josh - I'm not sure if you've done this already or not, but you might try grating/chopping some carrot and putting it in a meal - make a note of the date and time given in the meal and then watch for the carrot in the poop - this will tell you your dog's transition time. Most people make the mistake of thinking the poop they are seeing is a result of the last meal served but we know from research that is not the case. A dog's transition can be anywhere from 12-72hrs - they don't digest the carrot so when you see it in the poop make a note of the date and time and that will tell you the transition time.

Hoping you get firm poops soon.

Thank you Jean for posting about the antibiotic - I thought the one you mentioned was the right one but I didn't want to say the wrong thing.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

hardingj_9

Post by hardingj_9 » 20 May 2021, 03:49

Hi Madelon,

Yes I have done that with carrot and If i gave him some in the morning, it will be in his poo by the afternoon. Slipery Elm coming this afternoon so hopefully that helps.

Thanks
Based in UK
Suspected EPI
Dogs name Cooper
weight 22.5kg
B12 Levels - 721 ng/l
TLI 22 ng/ml
Folate 11.5 ug/L

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 20 May 2021, 14:08

Take heart, Josh. You and Cooper will get through this thing. Have you started keeping a journal of what you've done? It's a really good idea, because sometimes it seems we are trying new things all the time. FYI, it took a few months of trial & error before Tucker was finally mostly stable. Even now, I am having to re-treat him for SID, something I seem to have to do a couple of times a year. When the gas starts up, I wait a few days to see if he's gotten into something in the yard, and if it persists, I start the treatment again.

It can seem like a lot of money & work, but this group certainly has some good ideas about cutting costs, and they are full of great advice. You will get there.---Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

hardingj_9

Post by hardingj_9 » 21 May 2021, 12:20

Thanks Pam,

Yes i have taken over the wifes calander in the kitchen, with poo descriptions and what im feeding :lol: :lol:

Can anyone give any advice on Raw diets, do these tend to be better suited for dogs with EPI?

Thanks

Josh
Based in UK
Suspected EPI
Dogs name Cooper
weight 22.5kg
B12 Levels - 721 ng/l
TLI 22 ng/ml
Folate 11.5 ug/L

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 21 May 2021, 14:37

Here is a video from a vet who promotes raw food for EPI dogs, if I can share it:

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/h ... -dogs.aspx
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 27 May 2021, 18:03

https://www.rawfeedingplus.co.uk/?v=79cba1185463
This shop is in Morecambe, a wide selection . Epi owners will be interested in knowing they sell pigs pancreas in the heading for Offal. They dot deliver.
I tried raw feeding for a very fussy small dog. She ate better than us! For a large breed you’d need dedication and a second freezer. It’s not straight forward. The Facebook sites are full of freaks boasting how big a bone their bulldog chewed.
I abandoned the idea and was recommended Butchers grain free tripe mix. Excellent poos.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.