EPI?? maybe yes, maybe no

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: EPI?? maybe yes, maybe no

Post by Madelon » 25 May 2021, 20:26

Hi Tony! Sorry I haven't been back to respond - my son graduated high school Friday so life has been crazy and then back to my full time job on Monday.

Anyway, glad you increased the enzymes - the enzymes you are using are the correct kind but you DEFINITELY want to start with 1 level teaspoon per cup of kibble. Now, let's save you some money!!! Please consider switching to EnzymeDiane - I understand your vet's reluctance because my vet was the same way - thought she made them in her basement or something LOL - her enzymes are manufactured at the same place a lot of them are - they are the EXACT same as prescription enzymes from the vet EXCEPT she buys in bulk and doesn't pay for fancy packaging and advertising so she's able to pass the savings on to us - PLUS she tests each batch of enzymes so you know the exact strength of the enzymes you are getting whereas the big companies pay for one label and never change it - this was key for me because I was able to figure out my boy needs stronger enzymes.

Glad you are not having anymore signs of SID - sometimes it resolves with the just the enzymes, B12 and right food.

Once your dog gains their weight back you can try to slowly taper off. I can't recall anyone having diarrhea from a B12 shot but that doesn't mean it hasn't or couldn't happen. If you have good stools and then give another B12 shot and you have loose poop then you know it's the shot - could be the stress of going to the vet/shot and you could try the B12 pills from Wonderlabs instead.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

tlwright21
State: Texas
Pet name: Jasper
My name: tony

Post by tlwright21 » 26 May 2021, 10:20

yesterday evening after eating and playing he drank more water than you would think possible. shocking. then early this morning I heard him getting restless in his bed, let him out and peed longer than you could imagine, also pooped. he came back in and wouldn't go in his crate. when I looked he had wet his bed. can't imagine why all this happened. Called vet this morning, said to quit giving him pred. I was already on the taper dosages. I also mentioned Tylan and he is getting him some of that plus I dropped off a fresh stool sample, they are sending to lab. just to rule out anything else.

they don't think the incontinence is related to the EPI. He's never done that before.

Good news is I fed him some Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain grain free last 2 servings and had 2 firm poops. he was having inconsistent poops before on the Hill prescription ID low fat food.

Curious how do you ever got out of town? I struggle to think of where I could board him with all of his dietary requirements, plus weekly B12 shots.

Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Post by Jane&Clyde » 27 May 2021, 13:50

The excessive drinking and urinating often happens to EPI dogs when they are first put on enzymes. I have no idea why. And if your dog was on prednisone, that could make it even worse. Usually the excessive thirst reduces after the dog has been on enzymes for a while.

tlwright21

Post by tlwright21 » 28 May 2021, 18:19

happy and relieved. we seem to have rounded the corner. he is having about as normal and frequent of poops as a dog could have. about 3-4 days in a row. he's happy and so am I. will keep up the tylan and b12 injections as long as necessary (hope to go to b12 pills ) and of course enzymes. he is currently eating taste of the wild grain free sierra lamb with 1 tsp enzyme per 2 cup serving. he is eating 3x daily. doesn't seem to mind the tylan in his food. Now just have to put some weight back on him. hard to believe where we were about 2 weeks ago. it was awful for him and me too.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 28 May 2021, 19:31

Tony, that is a great update. It is such a good feeling when you reach this balance! Your relief comes right through your writing.

Yes, many of us have experienced the excess urination when our dogs are getting used to the enzymes. Kolby had two instances when he peed in the house.....a flood, I called it...and he had been house trained for almost a year. Once he was on the enzymes for a while, it never happened again. The prednisone could have been affecting him, too.

So glad to hear the food is working out. And you are so lucky that he doesn't mind the tylan in his food. Kolby would never go near it if I sprinkled it on. I had to fill capsules and pill him.

Keep the good news coming.

Barb

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 29 May 2021, 18:39

Tony, the only question i have is about the amount of enzymes you are using. The prescription I got from the vet AND Diane's both direct 1 teaspoon/1 cup of food.

I just re-read through the thread, and I think you are following directions given by your EPI vet, but I just wanted to point out that the rule of thumb is 1:1. . I'm sorry if I'm being repetitive, but if you are under-administering the enzymes, you may also slow down your progress. --- Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

tlwright21

Post by tlwright21 » 08 Jun 2021, 12:54

happy to say Jasper gained almost 4# in the past week. poops are normal. he has gained 8# in the past 4 weeks and has regained almost all of his weight. just a few more pounds left to go. weekly B12 shots still. is the only way to know if he needs those is to have another blood test? what frequency of blood test should I expect? i know there are pills but when do you go to those from the shots?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 08 Jun 2021, 15:32

Tony, congratulations on Jaspers weight gain!
Here is some information on B12, shots and oral. I would suggest on a chronic condition like Epi orally supplementing.

https://epi4dogs.com/b12-protocol/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.