Switched between enzymes

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Whisky

Switched between enzymes

Post by Whisky » 08 Jun 2021, 06:09

Hi All,

Last year we adopted our dog Whisky (a Rough Collie / German Shepard mix) now approximately 2 years old. When we adopted him we already knew that he had EPI, and we've been using Lypex ever since.
In the beginning we gave him on monthly basis a B12 injection, but have switched to Cobalapex capsules for a couple of months now which we can easily give him with he's meals.

While the Lypex is working fine its quite expensive to purchase them in the Netherlands. Trough this forum we came across Chemeyes, which is way cheaper so we wanted to give this a shot as well.
Since we switched to Chemeyes he's poop has been not liquid but definitely way to soft, if you compare it with this chart (https://epi4dogs.com/poop-chart/) i would say somewhere between 5 and 6. We tried this for a week, after which we switched back to Lypex and he's poop returned to normal within a day.

I know that moving to a new medication can be a big change for him, but after how much time should you see improvements? or might there be some other things that we need to change as well?

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Switched between enzymes

Post by Jean » 08 Jun 2021, 07:20

good morning from the UK

Lypex is very expensive, we chnged to Panzym

can I ask how much Chemeyes are you giving to how much food
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Whisky

Post by Whisky » 08 Jun 2021, 08:09

Hi Jean,

Will also look into Panzym thanks.

As for the food we give him 4 times a day 90-100gr of dry food (https://england.husse.com/digest-sensitive) in combination with 1 Chemeyes capsule per meal.
With the Lypex we give him half capsule per meal

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 08 Jun 2021, 13:58

Welcome to the forum, from Pam & Tucker in Florida.

You are in good hands, with UK Jean!
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 09 Jun 2021, 05:22

this is from Chemeyes website

"As a guide, just add 1-2 Pancreatic Enzyme Capsules per 100g of food. The amount of food that you feed your pet should be based on their ideal weight, and not the weight that they are currently at. "

I would maybe try upping the Chemeyes say for a few days and see if that works better

Suj from Chemeyes is brilliant to talk to , they are both chemists and understand, they had their own EPI dog, and thankfully she is now a friend

Panzym turned the corner for us , what does Whisky weigh ? and what should he weigh ? you are lucky that 1/2 Lypex made any difference, Kara was on 5 per meal to start with, but maybe Whisky is smaller, we ended up on 3 per meal, and then changed due to finances

never heard of that food but apart from the rice Kara would have been fine on it

sorry about the questions, but needs must

take care

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Whisky

Post by Whisky » 11 Jun 2021, 07:50

Hi Jean,

Thanks for getting back to me, and don't worry about the questions in the end we all want the best for our dogs so more than happy to answer them.
We will try upping the Chemeyes for a couple of days and see how that goes.

Currently whisky is about 24KG, we believe he's ideal weigh would be somewhere around the 30KG. But we are not entirely certain about this.

Will get back to you in a couple of days once we've tested the higher dosage of Chemeyes.

So far once again thanks for the help.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 11 Jun 2021, 10:41

just ant to to say and that you re in very good hands with Jean.... as she is in the UK and very familiar with UK products and treatments.

Hopefully upping the Chemeyes enzymes helps!

Please keep us posted.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........