raw food

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
MelC
Pet name: Meg
My name: Mel

raw food

Post by MelC » 09 Jun 2021, 07:11

I have mentioned on this site about my dog smelling a lot. someone has suggested I try raw food.. Does anyone have any experience of this and if you think it is good idea. I am concerned as Meg is reasonably stable at the minute.
Any advice would be great and if you do think it's worth a go, does anyone in the UK have any advise on what to use. and where to get it.

thanks again
mel

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: raw food

Post by jilbert57 » 09 Jun 2021, 09:15

Hi Mel, I am one of those who says leave well enough alone. (ok, most of the time lol). Raw diets can be done just attention has to be paid to getting everything balanced.
Here is a link from our files:

https://epi4dogs.com/diet-raw-home-prepared-recipes/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Jun 2021, 10:47

what we have noticed over the years here on the forum that some dogs that just have loose stools no matter what you feed the dog, however, once started on raw food their stools dramatically improve. But this is a "improved stool" observation when switching to raw food. SO this is an anecdotal observation.

HOWEVER..... regarding that stench.. we know that that smell is putrefaction..... whether or not feeding raw food can alleviate the stench, i honestly don't know.

What i can suggest is to maybe try improving the gut flora first via prebiotics, etc (and if that doesn't work then try prebiotics and probiotics and if that fails, then try antibiotics..... and then if that doesn't work, maybe then try raw.

The only reason why i am suggesting trying ll these other things first is because it sounds like the food you are feeding is actually agreeing pretty much with your pup and sometimes tht i the most difficult thing to achieve with these dogs... so before changing, maybe try other things first.

Just be sure when feeding raw that you pay close attention to making sure your dogs diet includes the right amount of minerals, vitamins and BONE... many people forget about bone matter.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

MelC
Pet name: Meg
My name: Mel

Post by MelC » 10 Jun 2021, 05:48

Many thanks for the helpful advice
Mel

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 11 Jun 2021, 05:12

where are you thinking of sourcing raw food from ?
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx