Optimal Incubation Time

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
PipersMom
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Piper
My name: Shawn

Optimal Incubation Time

Post by PipersMom » 09 Jun 2021, 13:53

Is there an optimal time for incubation? I have heard 15 minutes, 20 minutes even an hour.

I want the best time to feed after adding in the enzymes. What are your thoughts?
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: Optimal Incubation Time

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 09 Jun 2021, 14:13

I am pleased with the results I see after 20 minutes. I've heard it said the enzymes will turn the food into unappetizing mush, if left too long. The best thing to do, is to try different times & see what happens. ---P
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 09 Jun 2021, 14:15

Thanks. I try to wait 20 minutes, 30 tops. So far Piper laps up all her food. I do not see the enzymes affecting the taste of it the way she eats. I just wanted to make sure I was leaving it rest long enough.
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 09 Jun 2021, 18:26

How is she doing?
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 09 Jun 2021, 18:49

Piper is doing well. She did have two days that she was not herself but she could have eaten something outside. Her stool was a little soft but formed. Thankfully all is back to firm and acting normal.

She maintains her weight, is active (minus the heat which she did not like) and eats.

Thank you for asking 😊

EPI Diagnoised

Barb
Staff

Post by Barb » 10 Jun 2021, 12:49

Glad to hear the good report! Sounds great. If you are seeing good results from your 20 minute incubation time, then keep it up. We always had to go a bit longer with Kolby because he would get mouth sores......especially at the beginning. Eventually, we got down to 20 minutes, but it took us quite a long time. Most dogs are not this sensitive. Congrats on her good report.

Barb

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 10 Jun 2021, 13:28

I am wondering if I should wait longer. The only reason is I have noticed that she is .. for lack of a better word, burping it up and have a little bit of a belly ache. That or she is eating something she got outside.

EPI Diagnoised

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 11 Jun 2021, 13:55

Shawn, your signature doesn't mention prebiotics, probiotics, or Tylan. All of these are for treatment of SID, which virtually all EPI dogs have.

Here is a link to one of the pages, which can be found under "Managing EPI". To me, it sounds like you might be dealing with SID (as I am, currently....happens a couple of times a year). https://epi4dogs.com/sidsibo-management/

Lots of material & suggestions, the main one being, to start with Slippery Elm & see what happens. Give it, I think a couple of weeks, and then try slowly adding a probiotic, if SE alone doesn't work. THEN, the last thing to try is an antibiotic called Tylan. https://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Laborator ... B07JN3ZB25

Best thing is to read up on SID, and see if it sounds right.

---Pam

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 12 Jun 2021, 04:15

Thanks Pam. I will read up. Piper dies get a daily Probiotic. I also give her a little miralax in her food too.

I will update my signature. It only allows so many characters so I will see if I can add it.

Thank you. Will report back 😊

EPI Diagnoised

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 12 Jun 2021, 04:19

Just looked, I do have the probiotic listed. It is the Proviable-Forte. I will make note that is a probiotic

EPI Diagnoised