Optimal Incubation Time

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Optimal Incubation Time

Post by jilbert57 » 12 Jun 2021, 10:29

I forget, did you say your vet did not want you to use Tylan for SID? If the pre/probiotic does not clear up the gas I would recommend a 45 day course of Tylan to clear it up.

Also did your vet read the article you printed out for why a grain free diet? Just wonder his reasoning on insisting your dog be grain free.

(Just my opinion but if you can't ever clear up the gas, bellyache, some vomiting and loose stools I might suspect the lentils and grains.
I am not a vet for sure but would keep this in mind.)

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

PipersMom
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Piper
My name: Shawn

Post by PipersMom » 12 Jun 2021, 11:49

jilbert57 wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 10:29 I forget, did you say your vet did not want you to use Tylan for SID? If the pre/probiotic does not clear up the gas I would recommend a 45 day course of Tylan to clear it up.

Also did your vet read the article you printed out for why a grain free diet? Just wonder his reasoning on insisting your dog be grain free.

(Just my opinion but if you can't ever clear up the gas, bellyache, some vomiting and loose stools I might suspect the lentils and grains.
I am not a vet for sure but would keep this in mind.)

Jill
At that time the vet was hesitant on using it because her stool was fine. She said while it is possible SIBO, she was more inclined towards concurrent inflammatory process.

The only grain in Pipers food is about 2T of Brown Rice. The Farmer's Dog ingredients are: Beef, Sweet Potato, Lentils, Carrot, Beef Liver, Water, Kale, Sunflower Seeds, Fish Oil, Tricalcium Phosphate, Sea Salt, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Taurine, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Potassium Iodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid. Crude Protein: 11% min. Crude Fat: 8% min. Crude Fiber: 1.5% max. Moisture: 73% max Lentils are a Pulse (aka grain legume. harvested for the seed). They do not consider Lentils a grain because of all the Grain Free Controversy (this is a snippet of an article Dogs fed "grain free" food based on peas, lentils or potatoes are developing an unusual condition that can cause an enlarged heart, . With that, the brown rice for as little as I give should be enough. But I can play with that too. I wonder if they would swap out the lentils for something else? Most likely not as they process this is a facility.

I did extend the incubation time to 30 minutes and she seems to be doing better.
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 12 Jun 2021, 13:06

Ok thanks for clarifying.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 12 Jun 2021, 13:44

Your welcome
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 12 Jun 2021, 16:41

Hey Shawn, yes, I did see the proviable, but I don't think a probiotic alone will clear up SID/SIBO. The reason I mentioned it was Piper's burping. I was thinking gas is gas, and Tucker's SID is always announced by his farting a lot. I'm sorry, I forgot that we had already discussed this. You give her Miralax?

I guess since she's doing better, you should just stay the course. Maybe she is one of the lucky ones who isn't affected by SID!
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 12 Jun 2021, 17:35

No problem. Yes I give 1/8th tsp of miralax in her meals.

The vet did say if her stool gets soft, if she gets gas (farts), vomits or upchucks then we will talk about Tylan. With her allergies and sensitive belly the vet true but to give meds since she is on so many and has the USMI too. I know it's is alot

EPI Diagnoised