Ticks treatment

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Nainbud
Pet name: Buddy
My name: Naina

Ticks treatment

Post by Nainbud » 11 Jun 2021, 17:10

Hi All
I hope you and your fur babies are doing well and are thriving.
Well just today I found a tick on my Buddy. I know it wasn't there in the evening n at night I found it. I removed it immediately n I guess it wasn't stuck on her skin just the fur probably. I killed it immediately n treated her skin too.
But my question is since my dogs are outdoor dogs and stay mostly in the garden/ verandah is there any way I can treat my yard for ticks n do I need to do anything or apply anything on my dog.
P.s. they don't go out for walks or potty since we have a big yard n play n poop n exercise within the house territory..
Thank you
Buddy diagnosed on July 8,2020.
Currently on Pancreatic lipase 1000: 1.5 capsule for each meal.
Broth of chicken potato pumpkin supplemented with 2 eggs, banana(1/2 per day) n curd n multivitamins, each meal has atleast 350gms food n 300gms of water. She is currently at 21kgs which was her original weight. she is an active dog who loves to play.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Ticks treatment

Post by Jean » 12 Jun 2021, 04:52

Good morning from the UK

we dont have ticks here where we live but they are certainly around in the rural parts of UK, generally from Deer

this is something I found on the internet

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/ ... -of-ticks/

this is a video on the removal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ6_zWmzeMg

they create an condition called Lyme disease which you do not want

over here we use

https://uk.frontline.com/?gclid=EAIaIQo ... lsrc=aw.ds

how many dogs do you have ? I love that you rescued them

I hope that you are in a safe area of India, my friend has had it bad where she and her family have all had Covid

jx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Nainbud
Pet name: Buddy
My name: Naina

Post by Nainbud » 12 Jun 2021, 05:41

Hey Jean
Thank you for replying.
I live in a very small town in India.
Yes covid management is a disaster here. We have had a very bad spike but we had been very very cautious n stopped all activity so we were safe.
I have rescued 3 indie dogs one of whom is an Epi dog.
Well it was just a single tick. I have had dogs for last 2.5 years but never had to do anything about ticks. This is the first time I saw one. My dogs stay outdoors for most of the time except at night when they sleep in their room hence I thought I might need something to treat our yard which is safe for my dogs and can work on killing garden pests..
I am glad you don't have where you live. They are mighty hard to control from what I have read.
Uk is beautiful though.
Buddy diagnosed on July 8,2020.
Currently on Pancreatic lipase 1000: 1.5 capsule for each meal.
Broth of chicken potato pumpkin supplemented with 2 eggs, banana(1/2 per day) n curd n multivitamins, each meal has atleast 350gms food n 300gms of water. She is currently at 21kgs which was her original weight. she is an active dog who loves to play.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 12 Jun 2021, 11:11

Good morning. I have gone to a product that uses oils: cedarwood, peppermint and lemon grass mixed with a stabilizer. I spray on my gloved hands then rub on TJ legs and belly before going out. It is a deterrant, and seems to work. I however have picked 3 ticks off me so far. We are in western Washington state.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Jun 2021, 17:07

Hi Naina,

Is diatomaceous earth (food grade) available where you live? YOu can used this natural substance for ticks and fleas.

I used to sprinkle it on my chickens and in their chicken coop and we never had any ticks or fleas (and it kept them internally health for "bugs" and stuff too!... Anyway...... you can sprinkle diatomaceous earth on your dog (rub it in the fur... it is like a powder) and yes you can sprinkle it in your yard ... but if you sprinkle it on your dog, you should be all set. I used to also sprinkle some on the dog's bedding........

If you can get it where you live, here is an article on it:
https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/b ... ous-earth/
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........