Need Tips for Using Bagged Enzymes

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
CindyR

Need Tips for Using Bagged Enzymes

Post by CindyR » 16 Jun 2021, 17:27

Hello, My border collie has not been tested for EPI, but she had all of the symptoms and my vet suggested we try the enzymes. She had an immediate and incredible response, so we know this is the answer to her problems. We started with PancrePlus but have used one sample size bag of EnzymesDiane with equivalent results. I am planning to order more EnzymesDiane. I found it difficult to use the EnzymesDiane directly out of the bag, and I am wondering if anyone has tips for making it easier to use it from the bag without touching or spilling the enzymes. Is there any reason I should not transfer it to a large, opaque plastic jar with a screw-on lid? I don't want to do anything that would compromise the quality of the enzymes.

Thank you so much for this website. I was just about to despair of finding out what was wrong with our dog as she was gradually starving to death despite eating enormous amounts of food.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Need Tips for Using Bagged Enzymes

Post by jilbert57 » 16 Jun 2021, 18:59

Hi Cindy, welcome to you and Dixie.
We would encourage you to post information about Dixie so we can help you. Somewhere down the line you might want to have the fasting cTli test to confirm Epi as long term use of pancreatic enzymes is not recommended if the dog is not Epi. There are other conditions that can mimic Epi.
I did a search of enzyme storage and found this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=521&p=5474&hilit=En ... rage#p5474

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 16 Jun 2021, 20:19

Hi Cindy

Welcome to you and Dixie. I'm glad you are seeing results so quickly! While it's okay to treat as if EPI for a short time, we do not recommend treating as if EPI without having the cTLI blood test run because EPI can mimic many other dog conditions which left untreated can be fatal.

As for storing/using the bag enzymes, some people put just what they need for a week at a time in glass mason jar or tupperware container. As long as they are sealed tight and don't exceed the storage temperature guidelines you should be fine with whatever method works for you.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

CindyR

Post by CindyR » 16 Jun 2021, 21:32

Thank you very much for the helpful information!

Cindy

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Jun 2021, 23:44

Hi Cindy and welcome to you and Dixie.

What i used to do with the enzymes is that i would pour some in a tupperware and store that on the counter top so that it would be room temperature. The remainder enzymes from EnzymeDiane i would carefully seal in the bag that it came in, then i would seal that in a freezer zip lock bag, and then i would enclose it all in yet another freezer zip lock bag (object is NOT to let any moisture in !) and i would toss this tripled sealed stash of enzymes in the freezer. By freezing it without letting any moisture in it can greatly extend the life of the enzymes. :)

Also... as everyone already mentioned you eventually will want to run a cTLI blood test to confirm EPI. Giving enzymes won't hurt any dog, but you don't want to keep a dog on them forever if not confirmed with EPI cause it just might not be EPI..... sometimes the enzymes help even when whatever is going on is not EPI. BUT....trying enzymes it is great way to see if EPI could be a possibility. :)

Keep us posted on her progress!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

CindyR

Post by CindyR » 17 Jun 2021, 08:29

Thank you for the great suggestions.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 17 Jun 2021, 16:34

Hi, Cindy! Welcome from Pam & Tucker in FL!

I have been waiting for someone to ask this question, because I LOVE how I store my enzymes! (I am weird)

I have a tin that used to have loose tea in it. It has two lids, the outer one just lifts off, but the inner one has to be pried off with a spoon. When I open a new bag of enzymes (I buy the big bag), I use the smallest measuring cup I have, set my stuff on a dry counter, and scoop the enzymes into the tin. It holds about two cups, I think. The bag gets closed up & put into a ziploc, in a dry cupboard.

THEN, the tin, spoon for prying, and the one teaspoon measuring scoop all get put into a canister with a tight-fitting lid. Set on the shelf with all the other goodies that make Tucker's life manageable. My husband said it looks like I'm storing something illegal in it(????), but to me, those enzymes are a precious commodity, and I won't waste one little bit of that powder, or allow it to get wet.

Honestly, though, the tupperware idea is probably just as good, just make sure you scoop the enzymes into it. This makes less dust, and that enzyme dust can really irritate your lungs if you breath in too much of it. Thanks for letting me share, and good luck!---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

CindyR

Post by CindyR » 17 Jun 2021, 17:11

Thank you. This is all very helpful. I ordered some long-handled stainless steel measuring spoons hoping those will also help. I really like the idea of putting just some of it into a more secure and user-friendly container and storing the bulk of it carefully bagged and put away for later.

I know what you mean about a precious commodity and not wanting to waste any of it!

Cindy