Daisy reporting in :D

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
faye grimm
State: Oregon
Pet name: Daisy
My name: faye

Daisy reporting in :D

Post by faye grimm » 24 Jun 2021, 11:18

Hello all ... I was first here in Dec of 2019 so this is a hello and a heads up that thanks to your helpful information, advice, suggestions and support, my Daisy girl is doing great!

I chose to use the Pantenex enzymes and am extremely satisfied. I usually add a touch of slippery elm [as advised by a holistic vet] to each meal as well. She has responded to her treatment well. I have found I do not need to do the 15 minute wait, she has never experienced an irritation in her mouth from the enzymes. She seems to do well with a 1/2 teaspoon per meal. which consists of raw 4meat mix (elk, buffalo, beef and venison) with Sport Dog kibble. I love this product and she seems to love it too. https://www.sportdogfood.com/

So Daisy is 8 years old now and going strong. She is healthy, happy, active and maintaining her weight and has had fairly consistent well formed stools.

I still tell people, total strangers (usually at the dog park) even though they may have a totally healthy dog about EPI and this site because, as per my own experience, where it hit out of the blue, most veterinarians seemed entirely blind to this diagnosis and it was not until I found EPI4dogs that I even heard of epi effecting dogs and so learned enough to demand she be tested for EPI which, of course, was the issue.
So I try to spread the awareness.

Anyhow, I just wanted to pop in and say thank you once more because the lovely people on this site helped save my dog's life and I will always be eternally grateful.

Blessings to all ... faye
Daisy and I live in rural southern Oregon. In June of 2015 I saw someone selling 5 week old puppies from a van and I swear I was "only looking" when Daisy's head popped up from the back of the box and she jumped across her liter mates straight to me, got up on her hind legs and started licking my face.
She had just chosen me. The guy wanted $100 a pup. I told him I only had $50. He said no way.
I replied, "This is my dog now. Take it or leave it. But she is coming home with me."
So I gave the man his $50 and we have been joined at the hip every since ...

Jean
Staff
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Daisy reporting in :D

Post by Jean » 24 Jun 2021, 13:18

Good evening Faye from Liverpool UK

Thank you soooo much for your kind words, and your link to food

the big thing is education , and where better than the dog park, EPI is a weird and wonderful condition, years ago it was called GSD tummy and loads wre PTS as noone knew

I had a cat Cleo in the mid 80's and she was fading away , the vet we had said she had Coccidiosis, she was a mess, his Son who had just graduated from Liverpool Vet Uni said he knew what she had and gave her Tryplase enzymes, she lived another 10 years, at that time EPI was tested by xray film I know, weird , I would have lost her only for Martin
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 24 Jun 2021, 13:26

Faye, there is another member with a recent post, who could probably use your help if you're up for it!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1176

It's uncanny that you just posted! Nice to hear from you. ---Pam
Tucker is a shepherd/lab mix; he has tested positive on the ScheBo test for EPI, as well as the fasting TLI. Results--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Currently taking Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlab B12 one capsule per day, slippery elm 1/8 teaspoon twice/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon twice/day (to hold SID at bay). Sport Dog Elite, herding dogs 3 1/2 cups/day. No more poop eating, has gone from 60 to 80 pounds, and he is a happy member of the family, though a bit of a stinker, if you ask the other dogs. Tucker is my boyfriend, and my husband is OK with that.

Jean
Staff
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 24 Jun 2021, 13:44

I know Pam it is brilliant, we will connect them if we can

Jxxx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 25 Jun 2021, 14:43

Hello, Faye. What a great update! It is always so uplifting to read about dogs doing well once everything is in balance. Thank you for letting us know how well Daisy is doing. It also helps the new members to hear that managing EPI really does become part of a routine and that our dogs can thrive even though they have EPI. At the beginning, you don't think it's possible, but suddenly it becomes easy.

Thank you so much for writing. I am so glad Daisy is doing so well.

Barb