New to EPI

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
TerryBin
Staff
State: Washington

Re: New to EPI

Post by TerryBin » 05 Sep 2018, 11:44

Welcome and thank you for adopting an EPI pup! You have been given a ton of good advice, so like others I don't have much to add. One thought I had is you mentioned he was on probiotics with the former owners.....if he was also on antibiotics and the probiotics were given too close to it, then the antibiotics wouldn't be very effective.
Currently 2 Shiloh Shepherd Pups! Two Shilohs that passed over the Rainbow Bridge.
Taiko was born 6 September 2006 and had EPI; she passed over the Rainbow Bridge 10 April 2019 NOT EPI-related.
Pharaoh born 24 November 2007 and had EPI. He passed September 2020 NOT EPI-related.
Moku born 15 April 2014 and was dx with EPI in January 2019.
Hoshi born 6 July 2019 and does not have EPI
Taiko and Pharaoh were half siblings through their sire; their sire is Moku's grandfather through his Mom. Moku and Hoshi have the same sire.
Moku uses PancreaPlus tablets and receives weekly B12 shots at home.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 06 Sep 2018, 13:57

AHHHHHhhhhhh... it was you that i recommended trying Taste of the Wild/Pacific Stream...... i take that back now..... the very next day (after i suggested it) , Jean via Susan contacted us about a law-suit being filed against TOTW..... whether valid or not, we have no idea.... but you just need to be aware of this and then make your decision if you still want to try TOTW food or not............

FYI... i posted a notice about the actual recall on the forum...........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

dana7123
State: Colorado

Post by dana7123 » 06 Sep 2018, 22:35

Hi and welcome! I just had to say "thank you" for adopting an EPI fur baby. What a lucky fur baby to have you for a mom now! Welcome!!
My Belle is a rescue. She was 3 mo when I adopted her and at 7 mo we discovered the EPI. Her TLI results were "0.4". We went to 3 Vets before we found the 4th vet who knew exactly what was wrong. What a relief! He put her on B12 and enzymes right away! I was so glad to find enzymediane! Belle gets 2 1/2 cups of food with 1 tsp of 8x enzymes twice a day. She is now (at 116 lbs) but now has SIDS. Started putting Slippery Elm in her breakfast (she would regurgitate breakfast & orange/yellow in poo) & she is doing great now!

Elle05
State: Washington

Post by Elle05 » 11 Sep 2018, 19:52

Thank you everyone for all your help! After I switched his diet (low grain) he has normal brown BMs and is chewing a lot less! He gets kibble for his mid day meals and his morning and night he gets a mix of Dave’s and Wellness wet food. He seems to be really loving it! I got the wonderlabs b12 for him also! I made some dehydrated sweet potato treats with the enzyme that he just adores! (: I’m so happy to have adopted him. Although he was out on a walk yesterday and he got out of his harness *magically* and my fiancée chased him for half a mile while he chased a rabbit. Haha.

Question: what enzymes from enzyme Diane do I get? There’s a 6x and an 8x.
Chester is a 6 year old Manchester terrier adoptee (adopted at 5 with EPI) on porcine enzyme powder, B-12, Pepsid, Spirulina, Zinc and Salmon oil. He enjoys chasing squeaky things in Washington state and being an assistant to his foster siblings and Mobility Service dog trainees. Boy is this fellow tolerant of his insecure buddies!

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 11 Sep 2018, 21:27

Hi!! So glad to hear things are going soooo well. Chasing a rabbit eh? My boy loves to chase them in the yard - thankfully he's never caught one. It's such a wonderful feeling to see them enjoying life again.

As for the enzymes I recommend the 6x - it's the closest in strength to the vet rx enzymes so you shouldn't have to make any adjustments. The 8x is a bit stronger so the dosing is a little different.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.