New EPI diagnosis

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: New EPI diagnosis

Post by Jean » 06 Jul 2021, 03:08

we used to give Oxytetracycline but it became not user friendly

it has to be given on an empty stomach, 1 hour before food or 2 after

https://wagwalking.com/treatment/terramycin

so we changed to Tylan which does not have those restrictions, you can get it by prescription in Ireland

not come across Gentle dog food, we recommend grain free which includes rice as a grain , but you give what your animal will do well on

has there been any weight loss ?

the "diarrhea" you have seen is mainly undigested food, and as soon as the enzymes take over the failed pancreas function, it will stop

Please ask anything
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Paulat
Pet name: Izzy
My name: Paula

Post by Paulat » 06 Jul 2021, 17:00

Hi, thanks that makes sense.
We’re back at the vets tomorrow evening so I’ll talk to Mike about it.
She is actually getting B12 supplements at the moment the Cobalaplex is a folate and B12 supplement but it doesn’t have the intrinsic factor.
She’s now been diagnosed for a week and the improvement in her is fantastic.

She’s lost 1kg in weight which is quite a bit because she is only 6kg at full weight but I’m hoping she will have put on when we’re at the vets tomorrow.
Xxx

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 06 Jul 2021, 22:40

Glad to hear that your pup is getting B12 supplementation. Although the Cobalaplex is recommended by TAMU Gastrointestinal Lab (Epi4Dogs usually follows almost all of TAMU's EPI protocol, except for this particular oral B12 ) , we have found with actual EPI patients that although this oral supplementation works great and increases the B12 level with most dogs, sometimes it just doesn't work as well as expected. If this happens when you have the B12 re-tested ..then i would switch to Chemeyes B12 product that does include the intrinsic factor.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Paulat

Post by Paulat » 07 Jul 2021, 03:39

When Izzy’s bloods were done it was actually her folate that was low not her B12 and she’s been on the Cobalaplex due to the low folate. Does the Chemeys supplement also contain folate?
Thanks x

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Jul 2021, 11:30

Yes, As far as i know.....Chemeyes B12 has the same ingredients as Wonderlabs Pet Factor B12 does here in the USA: They use Methycobalamin B12, Folate and Intrinsic Factor.

It will be interesting to see if the Folate level goes beck up to a normal level
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Paulat

Post by Paulat » 07 Jul 2021, 12:04

Thanks we’re at the vets this evening so I’ll chat to him and see when he wants to recheck the vitamin levels.
Thanks xxx

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Jul 2021, 16:18

just know the following:

EPI dogs are getting oral B12 - - you need to stop giving the B12 pills 1 week prior to drawing the blood for another (B12 ) cobalamin blood test.
EPI dogs are getting injectable B12 - - you you need to stop giving the B12 shots 1 month prior to drawing the blood for another (B12 ) cobalamin blood test.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 08 Jul 2021, 20:59

Hi and welcome to our EPI family. You're in excellent hands with Jean and Olesia :) Please keep us posted on how things are going.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.