New EPI Research results

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

New EPI Research results

Post by Olesia711 » 05 Jul 2021, 20:40

Hi everyone,
As many of you know, Epi4Dogs has been involved with an EPI Research "The Maya Metabolomic Study" has been going on for 5 years. It has become an extraordinary detailed research that the more they earned, the more then needed to learn. Later this year, we will be getting the results, but in the meantime, a lot of off-shoot studies have evolved from the main study.

A few years ago, they discovered that all EPI dogs, even with enzyme supplementation, do not get enough/nor maintain enough of the soluble vitamins in their systems such as Vitamin A, E and D.

Now they have discovered not only that all EPI dogs have SID/SIBO.... but they now know why our EPI dogs have SID! This is an amazing finding and i suspect that this will eventually lead to either eradicating SID completely or we we learn how to do a much better job at managing it.

The following EPI Poster has been presented at the University of Illinois ... and veterinarian researcher, Dr. Patrick Barko, won a large monetary prize for this poster (which he donated back to EPI research, thank you Dr. Barko!!!! ) Drs. Barko and Williams findings have also been accepted to present at the ECVIM later this year about these findings.
(i am going to try and load this poster as a picture (fingers crossed that this works!)

A HUGE Thank you to these wonderful researchers who have worked tirelessly on this Research !!!!
Attachments
Research Day 2021 ABSTRACT_1.jpg
Research Day 2021 ABSTRACT_1.jpg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 2089 times
Research Day 2021 ABSTRACT.pdf
(1.85 MiB) Downloaded 96 times
Research Day 2021 ABSTRACT.pdf
(1.85 MiB) Downloaded 87 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: New EPI Research results

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 06 Jul 2021, 14:20

This is amazing work! Olesia, is there an estimate of the number of dogs that are effected?

I ask, because I am constantly floored by hearing how so many vets know little or nothing about EPI. There are so many of us, right here, so I just don't get it--PH
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 06 Jul 2021, 16:07

Hi Pam,

Thank you for reading this Poster about this latest research - this is really HUGE new and it very well may open up the possibility of fixing something that plaques not only EPI dogs, but dogs with IBD, IBS, etc, etc......

If you are asking how many EPI dogs are afflicted with Intestinal Permeability...... every EPI dog is affected!

If you are asking how many dogs are being diagnosed with EPI..... i don't have the stats..... but, you can share with your vet that our organization has close to 8,000 mbrs- -all pet owners seeking help with EPI.

What i can tell you is what one veterinarian researcher told me a few years ago. When we started Epi4Dogs and were involved in collaborating with a geneticist vet researcher, she told me that when they brought up how many vets had an EPI case, out of the 10 vets at the meeting, only 1 raised their hand. Fast forward to a few years ago.... same question, and every single vet raised their hand.

We do suspect it is a lot more wide-spread than originally thought to be.... i honestly do not know if this is because of better awareness of the condition nowadays, or because of better diagnosis/recognition of the condition, or because of more TLI testing now being done, or because of more/better access to computers/technology so folks everywhere are starting suspect EPI, or if there is simply more cases cropping up.

But whatever the reason, confirmed EPI cases are definitely on the rise.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 08 Jul 2021, 21:15

WOW WOW WOW!!! This is such amazing work :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Jul 2021, 11:46

thanks Madelon..... i am very excited about this and am looking forward to reviewing the complete results of the research study!

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 10 Jul 2021, 21:04

Olesia,
This is very exciting news. I am so grateful for all the researchers and the work they have done and are doing.

Barb

PipersMom
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Piper
My name: Shawn

Post by PipersMom » 12 Jul 2021, 12:47

I have forward this information to my vet along with this forum.
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Jul 2021, 20:05

thanks for sharing with your vet... i REALLY appreciate it. IMHO... getting EPI research to the vets is like getting it to the foundation of information... it all begins with the vets. Thanks!!!!!

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 13 Jul 2021, 04:15

I would love to share this with my original vet Uncle Ian but he has retired, and spoke of some of this when Kara was diagnosed

he was dealing with EPI since the early 80's and at one time he had at least one dog every day, mainly GSD

sad thing was it was called Shepherd tummy at the time, and as the "test" was so weird, it was a sample of poo put on xray film ,

this is the answer but is as clear as mud but interesting

http://www.aun.edu.eg/developmentvet/cl ... is/1_2.htm

luckily the c/f TLI tests were developed her in Liverpool by Dr David Williams in mid 80's and the rest is history, my cat was diagnosed with EPI with the xray film test
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Jul 2021, 10:52

this poster is an actual scientific poster.... hence, why it is clear as mud to us lay people.... but one of the researchers is working on a lay piece to explain the research so we can better understand it....when that is available i will upload :)