New to EPI..what to expect with poop quality

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Pfg
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Riot
My name: PFG

New to EPI..what to expect with poop quality

Post by Pfg » 06 Jul 2021, 18:56

I have a 14 month old GSD who was diagnosed with EPI at 9 month. He is fed RC special protein kibble in morning and night. 2.5 cups per meal treated with 2 teaspoons of Pantenex enzymes, soaked for 45 minutes. His stool in the morning is about 85% of a normal dog and acceptable. His small stools in afternoon and before sleep are very soft and more yellow snd undigested .
My question to all, is whether firmer stools later in the day can be expected some how. He is maintaining his 70 lbs..checked every week.

Thanks

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Re: New to EPI..what to expect with poop quality

Post by Montgomery » 06 Jul 2021, 19:42

Montgomery's second bowel movement is always softer than his first one, but I can't exactly call the little furball normal, either.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 06 Jul 2021, 19:48

Hi PFG and welcome to you and Riot. Is the RC food the hydrolyzed? Will you please post what the lab results were for the Tli test and also for the B12?
4 things need to be addressed normally before the pups recover:

Diet- 4% fiber or less and grain free

Enzymes- must be used with all food for life

Antibiotic- almost all animals when diagnosed have SID(Imbalance in the gut which causes tummy rumbles, gas, acid reflux

B12- must be maintained at the high end of the normal chart, 550 or higher. This is attained by oral supplementation or B12 shots.

All these need to be addressed before the poop will normalize and the animal heals.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 06 Jul 2021, 22:46

if you are giving the right enzymes correctly, and if the food you are feeding agrees with your pup and the B12 is being given if needed (everything that Jill mentioned above) .... then at this stage seeing sloppy light colored stools could very well be SID (small intestinal dysbiosis) is getting out of control.

If this is what is going on.... what you will want to try first is to give you dog a pre biotic. We typically recommend starting with SLippery Elm powder
https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/
If you do not see any improvement at all within 3 to 5 days... then it is not going to work ... so next try a Probiotic with prebiotics included. (currently we are suggesting Visbiome or Proviable)
If a probiotic+prebiotic doesn't work, THen talk to your vet about treating with an antibiotic called "Tylan" twice a day/45 days. https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 07 Jul 2021, 08:14

As an aside, PFG, welcome! And, have you heard about https://enzymediane.com/ ? Pam & Tucker highly recommend this product, as do many other members.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 08 Jul 2021, 07:43

good morning from the UK

Personally I would try grai free low fibre dog food , my girl never did well on RC too much grain in it

the rule of thumb is 1 teaspoon of enzyme to 1 CUP OF KIBBLE SO 2.5 CUPS WOULD BE 2.5 TEASPOONS

If you arent already , then supplement b12

https://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=K9688

https://www.petmd.com/dog/wellness/evr_ ... py_for_epi
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 08 Jul 2021, 19:52

Hello, PFG. A warm welcome to you and Riot.

I also noticed that the enzymes you are giving are a bit low for the amount of food. We usually recommend 1 teaspoon per cup, so you would want to use 2.5 teaspoons of enzymes for 2.5 cups of food.

Are you supplementing the B12? You can give injections or get capsules from Wonderlabs with Intrinsic Factor. Most dogs have low B12 when they are diagnosed.

I also recommend keeping a journal/log of everything you give Riot each day, the amounts and the resulting poos. Seeing the information in writing helps you to see what works and what needs to be adjusted. It saved our sanity. Once you get the Food, Enzymes, B12, and antibiotics, as Olesia suggested, in balance the poos will improve.

Let us know how everything is going.

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 08 Jul 2021, 20:49

Hi and welcome to our EPI family. I won't muddy the waters with more suggestions :) Please know EPI can be overwhelming and sometimes frustrating in the beginning but we'll be here to help.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.