Johnny from EPI diagnosis to trained Service Dog

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Johnny from EPI diagnosis to trained Service Dog

Post by Olesia711 » 14 Jul 2021, 11:02

Johnny: a young St. Bernard mix born in El Paso, TX in 2020. There are a lot of words to describe him: fluffy, freckled, goofy, sweet, clever. With his big paws and expressive eyes, he’s very charming and garners “what a pretty dog” comments everywhere we go. Johnny is not just a handsome dog, though - he’s also my best friend, and he saved my life.

I have struggled with chronic illness for most of my life. When I was younger, it was mostly clinical depression and social anxiety. Over the years, I’ve also developed PTSD, OCD, and debilitating chronic migraines and fibromyalgia. I’ve been in therapy for years. I take medications daily. But as of last year I was still seriously struggling, and my disabilities were impacting my ability to function and perform the basics of life day to day.

In 2020, an adoption counselor at an animal shelter in Utah recommended Johnny at the time known as Scotty - to me based on my living situation and lifestyle. I was uncertain, but made the appointment - a few hours later, a skinny, freckled dog, with the biggest puppy eyes you’ve ever seen and ears and paws too big for his body, was walked out from behind a counter. The leash was handed to me, and it was instantly over for me. This was my dog, and he was going to change my life, and I knew it right then and there.

I had been informed beforehand that Johnny had exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, or EPI, Imagea condition in which a dog’s pancreas is atrophied and unable to produce the digestive enzymes needed to process food and absorb nutrients. EPI requires lifelong treatment - much like my own conditions, it was lifelong, irreversible, and would need to be managed for the rest of his life.

Johnny had been diagnosed with EPI at the shelter but was still in the beginning phases of his treatment, and it showed. He was emaciated, his ribs and all his joints sharp and pointy underneath thin skin; he was ravenous, eating and eating but never satiated; and he was lethargic, unable to go out and walk for more than ten minutes at a time.

We consulted lots of resources - the EPI4dogs website, people who had experience with the condition, Johnny’s veterinarian - and spent the next few months ironing out a treatment regimen that would work for him. Johnny immediately started to blossom - he not only put on all the weight he had lost, but kept growing, and growing, and growing, and it soon became apparent he must have a giant dog breed somewhere in his lineage! (As it turns out, it’s St. Bernard!)

As Johnny became healthy and his temperament began to truly shine through, it quickly became apparent that he had all the qualities that make for a competent service animal. He was laid back, but motivated; even-keeled; friendly to everyone and anyone, but not overly enthusiastic with strangers. I was fortunate to have a background in animal training, and started working with him - he surpassed my greatest expectations, and took to service work like a fish to water.

Nowadays, Johnny is happy and healthy as a dog can be. In fact, when we recently saw a new vet for the first time after moving states, he did not believe Johnny could be an EPI dog until I showed him the paperwork and results from the tests the shelter had performed. He accompanies me on all kinds of adventures - to the grocery store, the bank, medical appointments, restaurants, hikes, you name it and he’s up for doing it together.

Johnny, like all service dogs, is not a pet. He is a partner, one half of a service dog team. He has given me so much of my life and independence back. I take less of the medications that cause me to be slow-thinking and fatigued. My migraines are less frequent, and less severe. I can go out in public, and do things that, for most people, are simple, like picking up groceries, but which have always caused me to have debilitating anxiety attacks.

This time last year, I was struggling with thoughts of suicide. I found no joy in life and didn’t know how much longer I could struggle through trying life to feel some small semblance of comfort or happiness. Today, I accomplished what I never would have been able to a year ago. I went on a hike with Johnny, completed three loads of laundry, went to the grocery store, and, most importantly, woke up looking forward to the day instead of dreading it.
Johnny-cuddling-r.jpg
Johnny-cuddling-r.jpg (90.04 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
jOHNNY-sERVICE dOG-r.jpg
jOHNNY-sERVICE dOG-r.jpg (88.68 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
Johnny-Shelter-r.jpg
Johnny-Shelter-r.jpg (39.88 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
It really is serendipitous, me and Johnny coming together: both of us born in Texas but somehow ending up miles away in Utah at the same time; finding each other at just the right moment, somehow. I truly believe we rescued each other, and that we are able to live day to day happy and healthy because we are two halves of one whole, a team now and forever.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: Johnny from EPI diagnosis to trained Service Dog

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 14 Jul 2021, 14:31

What a wonderful testament to the healing power of a good, loyal dog friend. To be clear, this is Johnny from "Meet Johnny", right?

Good for you, to be comfortable enough to share your story with this group. I love these people. I know I'll probably never be in the same room with any of them, but I, too feel like I could talk to them about many things.

Yea, Johnny! Yea, service dogs everywhere!---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 14 Jul 2021, 15:38

Hi Pam.... Yes..... this is the same dog from "Meet Johnny" thread..... an amazing story, isn't it??!!!! Such a beautiful testament to all EPI caregivers ... that their dog can do just abut anything it wants to once they find the right balance of the recommended EPI protocol :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 14 Jul 2021, 19:56

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful story. It is so touching to read how you and Johnny came into each other's lives and became each other's treasured gifts. Knowing that he and you have faced enormous challenges and have met them with courage and determination is an inspiration to all of us. We are so glad that he landed in your care and that together you are thriving. You and Johnny are living proof that a dog with EPI can do anything with the proper protocol and the support of a loving home.

Congratulations.

Barb

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 16 Jul 2021, 06:02

I am overwhelmed with this and humbled to what a dog can mean to you and you existence

I too at times have struggled. and there has always been a dog there to help you through the day

So I say brilliant, and thank you for being brave to share, it wii be a real eye opener for people

Jeanxxxxx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx